Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

Your same wiki refutes this point. CPU maximizing is not on that list.

Those are client flag switches - similar but not the same.

The initial configuration questions have an option for reducing the cpu usage. The cpu usage question is accessible only by answering "yes" to the "Change advanced options" question. See post #282 on the top of the previous page for a complete list of the questions.

In addition to the client configuration questions there are the client flags you linked to. These are usually used for temporary changes/commands to the client like pausing, sending, configuring, etc.

Your link has an explanation:

First you will want to do the FAH log configurations, which you will see at the beginning of the FAH client, right after you start it up.

Secondly, there are some optional settings you may want to do. These are command line switches...

Till also posted a different method you could use.

Quad core yummy goodness is here at last! :D Passkey obtained, client downloaded, instructions downloaded (wow there's lots of them), ready to install. Unfortunately it's taken so long to get connected to the internet (it's still convinced I only have a g standard network) that it'll have to wait until tomorrow to start its life of folding and other things.

Finally got it running, had to add -advmethods as otherwise there appeared to be no WU available, so hopefully my (and hence CFC's) PPD will improve a little.

No all I have to do is work out how to host a pitboss game on the old P4, I don't think we'll miss the reduction in PPD from that.

Remembered to turn it on :goodjob:

I was again wondering what happened to you. :crazyeye:

Finally got it running, had to add -advmethods as otherwise there appeared to be no WU available, so hopefully my (and hence CFC's) PPD will improve a little.

No all I have to do is work out how to host a pitboss game on the old P4, I don't think we'll miss the reduction in PPD from that.

You're right -advmethods is the best way to go as it opens up the most possibilities for types of WUs you can receive and once your passkey is qualified by your first 10 SMP WUs while using it your bonus points will appear and your PPD will really rise.

P4s can still fold, I run a couple myself but their yield isn't too impressive anymore. If your P4 has a somewhat newer GPU card then you could run simultaneous CPU and GPU clients (or just GPU with pitboss) and then your old system will produce a nice PPD still.

Turned in 2 small 470 pointers on the new system so far. Not got anything juicy to fold yet though.

The old P4 has a GEForce 2 MX400 graphics card, way below anything required for folding. I looked at upgrading when Civ 4 came out but the AGP won't take anything more and PCI - what's that?

Yeah, the bonuses start making a huge diff. I think I am averaging over 5K points a day now.

Yes it's the A3 core that's running. I've turned in 3 of those 470 pointers today, despite forgetting to turn it on again for a while after re-booting following a windows update. 25% of the way through the next one so I suppose I shall get to 10 work units and start getting the bonuses in a couple of days or so :D

WoW those bonuses really do make a difference - 2667 points on top of the basic 470 for the 10th WU. That's more than I used to make in a month!

:eek: What kind of quad have you got? You're doing a 3k+ WU every 6 hours or so! I humbly yield to you as our team's highest PPD producer...

If you are running the SMP client check that you are returning work units ok, there has been a problem with the assignment server and they've been giving out inappropriate work units, I've spent the whole day doing the same one to 99% then restarting over and over.

There is a recent client available that also includes support for the newer Nvidia video cards (Fermi):

Announcement and download links
FAQ
GPU2 -> GPU3 Transition Guide
Folding Forum GPU3

Keep Folding2.JPG

Congrats on the 10M points Sahkuhnder!

A new GPU client, but not for ATI cards yet. I must admit I'm just running the SMP client at the moment, I hadn't really thought about adding GPU or if I even can run both.

Thanks. :)

As I understand it the new GPU client will work on ATI cards in the near future. Until then the old ATI client still works just fine when configured correctly.

You can run one (or more) of any GPU clients simultaneously with the SMP or with uniprocessor client(s), but in your case running a GPU client may be a net points loss. Your CPU is so fast that unless you have a high-end ATI card the CPU interrupts/cycles lost to service the GPU card client may reduce more from your SMP points than the points the GPU client itself generates.

I am currently running 3 ATI and 2 Nvidia GPU clients alongside CPU clients on various machines (mainly old and slow), but if you are adventurous and want to give it a try I can offer some configuration suggestions.

It's one of the dx11 5800 series cards so may be worth it, although having done a bit of reading it sounds like that it will slow the SMP folding. From what I read it seems that the clients dom't get the best out of ATI cards and they return a lower ppd than an equivalent nvidia so as you say it may be points loss for me.

Top Bottom