1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pmod01 - A lightly modded SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pnaxighn, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

2. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Pnaxighn is being pwned by real life. I planned on playing this tonight, but will end up doing so tomorrow. Deep apologies on this, folks -- I usually play SG turnsets the same evening I post a got-it, but things have been hectic.

3. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

A pretty boring set, overall. I suppose that's good?

Turn 1: Judaism founded elsewhere. That's...about it. Chariot whacks a lion.
    Turn 2: Meditation -> Priesthood. Settle cow/rice as Nottingham, start a granary. Continue exploration of SB's area. Second worker can't come soon enough.
    Turn 3: SB is sitting on a thing passage north as it turns out. He's got it blocked, but we have o/b, so I head into his land explorin'.
    Turn 4: Worker -> granary in our capital. This will be whipped shortly. Start getting our resources online.
    Turn 5: Officially enter SB's land. His cap is pretty decent. And defended by one archer. Hm.
    Turn 6: Priesthood! Start researching math, so we can get currency by hand and CoL by oracle. Chariot is healed from lion-whacking, starts wandering towards SB.
    Turn 7: Whip granary in cap, queue up Oracle. Upgrade evaluation of SB's cap to "badass" -- gems, sugar, cow, rice visible so far.
    Turn 8: Find a pretty awesome city site just outside SB's lands. Plains hill found (+1h on city center), cow, rice, copper, and pretty decent land in the area. Signed.
    Turn 9: Temple of Artemis has been built yada yada. SB has horses...and dogs. Whip granary in York, queue up barracks.
    Turn 10: SB is pretty well scouted. We should be able to demolish him if we act with some alacrity. Micro nottingham to get it to granary-whip point ASAP.
    Turn 11: Ladies and gentlemen, we have copper. Workers head to Nottingham, roading as they go.
    Turn 12: Nottingham's borders pop. Hooray for the Henge. Also, it turns out the northern lands above SB are...non-existant. It's us. And him.
    Turn 13: London border-pops. We've got whale accessible for two tiles. One of them would be better for a city than the other. Signed. I move to 100% research (had been at 0% to build up some cash) -- this will take us through math, and maybe a tiny bit of currency.
    Turn 14: Barb warrior shows its face. Luckily the chariot is nearby. Will try to catch him in the open. London is growing like mad, dropping the time-to-Oracle rapidly.
    Turn 15: Barb warrior retreats. Good. SB is starting to have a real army. We should start thinking in that direction ASAP.
    Turn 16: 'Rax in York -> axeman. We'll need 'em. Whip granary in Nottingham, queue up 'rax.
    Turn 17: SB gets a bad event. Whip axe-> axe in York. This city should stay at 2 pop for now, since it has two good tiles. It has happiness to spare, so we're all set.
    Turn 18: Boy I wish we had more workers. London could use a mine. 6 turns to Oracle.
    Turn 19: Last turn's GP in a foreign land is this year's shrine in a foreign land. No great shock, there. Another barb warrior out west. Another whipped axe in York -> chariot (SB loves his dogs...).
    Turn 20: Oracle in 4 in London (plus it grows to size 7 with no unhappiness next turn). Nottingham grows to size two next turn, and its cows and rice are now both improved. It should also sit at size 2 and whip army, as York already is. Our needs:

1) Military. SB makes me nervous.
    2) Another settler for the spot between us and SB. Sooner -> better.
    3) Another worker? We could use a mine at London, maybe one at Nottigham, we'll have another city soon (maybe 2?), with calendar comes more stuff to do, and we can chop out some useful...somethings. Maybe that helps with #1...
    4) Explore south-west. Is that all of our continent? Certainly looks like it...

Silk is up!

Attached Files:

4. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Review of the situation
    - Mathematics due in 9 turns
    - Oracle in 6 turns w/o whipping. Barracks being built in Nottingham and Chariot in York.

Here we go.

Our impatient governor in London gets tired of waiting for the Oracle to be completed during laborers 9-5 jobs. Signs executive order claiming that workers must work for 20 hours of the day, regardless of the physical toll. End result? Major segment of population dies of exhaustion, causing civil unrest, but the Oracle finishes in record time. All resources are then diverted to training various tradesmen - brick layers, arborists, and carpenters.

Take Code of Laws for free tech.

Spoiler :

Citizens in Nottingham, being on the outskirts of civilization, tend to be a spiritual group. People congregate together, and a new religion known as Confucianism is founded.

Rumor has it that strange, four sided triangular structures have been built elsewhere.

Meanwhile, York produces some of the finest chariots in the land.

Back in London, once a group of competant tradesman are trained, another group of folks begin training in how to live off the wild and form the basis of a new settlement.

A prominent priest in London performs a series of miracles, convincing the Confucian citizens that a prophet is in their midst. With a group of followers, this great prophet travels to the Confucian holy land of Nottingham.

Once this prophet reaches Nottingham, a huge house of worship, dubbed the Kong Maio, is built.

Spoiler :

Scholars empire wide put the final touches on their collective work - 'The Theory of Mathematics'. This new theory paves the way for whole new way of looking at the world, by using a system of counting to help keep track of things.

Spoiler :

Before too long, some people start getting the bright idea that this new technology could be used to their benefit. If only they had some way to normalize the value of various tradable goods flowing through their cities. People work day and night on solving this very important, and profitable endeavour.

The governor in York decides that after having trained enough chariots for now, it is time to do something about the corruption that has started to take hold in his city. He orders work begin on a courthouse.

The governor of Nottingham hears about this development in York, and decides to follow suit.

Back in London, our impatient governor is again frustrated at the lack of progress in training these 'settlers', as they were. Citizens are forced to train day and night. This of course results in more exhaustion deaths, and a segment of the population turns against the governor is anger. However, the governor uses this anger from the people to his own advantage. He orders a library be built next, and the citizens in London begin work on this new center of learning as a way to distract themselves from the anger they feel towards the governor.

Cartologists studying the map of the known world decide it is time to continue exploring lands to the southwest. Two divisions of chariots are sent out with orders to map and explore the lands.

Our ambassadors to Sitting Bull are informed to ask what price would be desired for Sitting Bulls gems. The response is telling, and firm - copper. So.. Sitting Bull really wants copper, huh? And look at that - our explorers tell us there is copper to be found south of Sitting Bulls lands, and west of ours. It's a good thing our governor in London was impatient with the training of the group of settlers!

Meanwhile, tradesmen near london begin building small trading posts around the outskirts of London, increasing commerce.

The library project in london completes, providing a significant boost in literacy rate and overall education. Resources once again return to training tradesmen.

Way out west - a bit northwest of Nottingham, a settlement known as Hastings is founded. Just in the nick of time too, because it looks like Sitting Bull had the same idea! :lol:

Spoiler :

Reports from our exploring chariots report that a heroic chariot, named Bo, had encountered a barbarian settlement, fighting 2 battalions of barbarian warriors before overwhelming the barbarian settlement. Nothing of the settlement was able to be saved.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Once another group of tradesmen are trained in London, once again resources are diverted to training a group of settlers.

Stopped at this point.

So here are the main points:
    - I spammed a few cottages around York, in the grassland tiles. Those should probably continue to be worked, in addition to other improved tiles.
    - I started a worker on putting some cottages down on grassland tiles near London to increase :commerce: and :science: there as well.
    - York and Nottingham can pump out military units. I mostly built chariots, but we'll need a couple spears and a few axes I think as well.
    - We might want to consider going after construction next, after currency is in. Get cats up so we can go after SB
    - I've marked a few spots on the map that I think would make good city locations for future settlers.
    - I built a couple more workers, for a total of 4. We'll need at least 4 more.
    - I started on a road to Hastings, but its not complete yet.

Forgot the rooster:
    Pnaxighn -->
    silk1976 - just played
    Thy_Spellcraft --> up now
    cripp7 --> on deck

Attached Files:

5. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Keep in mind that, until we take out SB, Hastings will be in a culture war with him. I'd whip granary -> whip library there to help with that.

Also: "tradesmen" -> "worker"? That prose bit got a little too vague for me.

6. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

I started a granary in hastings, and queued up a courthouse after that. I can see switching to a library because yeah, there will be some culture clashes going on there. But I dont think its a major concern - we are already talking about being aggressive with SB and building up power and units to take him out - so if he snatches a tile or two, I'm not too concerned.

Yeah - tradesmen = worker. I was just trying to spice the description up a tad rather then just have a boring list of events that occured. Give things a little life. Unfortunately for things like workers and settlers, my ability to come up with a colorful yet accurate description were a little challenged. :)

7. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

I think we should post the roster list after each turnset. I haven't looked at the save yet, finishing another SG atm.

8. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

OK I got it for tomorrow..

Two little things from my side for the upcoming sets: I'd like to get at least a chance to post some ideas for the upcoming rounds.. So getting up and seeing two turnsets had been played is not the most fun for me..
    The second: In case we'll get another GP we should discuss how to use him.. 'Cause I think the better choise for the GP would have been to bulb Theo...

So or my turnset: Spreading Conf to SB should be irst priority, so WE will determine the war with him.. :satan: And are there any ideas about our fifth city apart of the fish/cow northeast of london??

What are our plans acoring the teching??

9. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Sorry about playing the turnset so quickly. You're right, we should discuss things more before playing successive sets. I guess I figured we still didn't necessarily have too much for detail to discuss at this point. I wont do that again.

SB has confucianism in his lands - so that has been taken care of.

For fifth city - that is up for debate. I'm not sure of the best placement - whether we want to continue to put pressure on SB, or be more internally focused.

For tech, I think we need to get optics going before too long. In a continents map, we are on a small one, so there is likely a larger one to the north, as well as a single large one on the other side of the world. In other words - we're going to need to get some galleys going for troop transport when we expand to the continent to our north. Especially misisonaries to spread our religion.
    But that can wait for more immediate tech needs.

10. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

5th city can go 2E-1S of copper, yes it does have 3 desert but it does have rice and flood plain and once Bio gets up it'll be a unit pump monster, but it'll block SB.

Techs we have to calendar soon for that silk, need the +2:food: & the +1:) also get to Optics to meet our rivals.

I've changed the city placements a little, how do these look? fish/rice/6m for monster port. straight line to block SB

Spoiler :

11. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Those look reasonable for now.

One note, though. West is, from a top-down view, to the left -- east is to the right.

12. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Ok, I played my first 4 turns and the settler is finished.. But unfortunately SB already founded a city right next to our planed spot:
    Spoiler :

Below the red circle there's another settler.. So once again ideas for the fifth city.. I'd purpose the "City" spot 1 left of our carriot.

13. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

you do not pick up any resources there. I would say the spot 2e of the cow

14. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

:agree: 2E of the cow would be a better spot.

15. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

If we're talking about the same cow, 2E1N would also grab rice. Am I missing something?

16. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Yup - it would also grab the rice as well. The rice could be flipped from one city to another easily enough when the time comes - but I dont know if there is a specific reason why 2E1N of the cow might be undesirable.

17. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

18. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

It's me once again..
    And once again it's the same problem: SB beat us in our desired spot.. He founded his city 1 east of our desired location. So once again the question where to put it.

As far as I can see there are two possibilities: The "city" spot whitch would at least bring some hammers and in case we'll produce enough culture we may flip his city..
    The other one would be the "fish/sheep" location down in the south..

I'd go for this first and would produce another settler immediatly to grap the southern location!

19. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

I vote we settle the spot NE of the capital and begin focusing on military. It's time to rid us of this nuisance.

20. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

:agree: with that, SB has got to go!