1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pmod01 - A lightly modded SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pnaxighn, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Sorry for the delay, but I had some probs with the net..

But finally here's the report:

Pre-flight:
    Did a bit micro to keep our people in York and Nottingham happy.

300 BC:
    Courthouses in Notingham and York finished. I started on temples in both cities. And the science slider had to go down to 80%.

250 BC:
    Whiped the settler in London.

200 BC:
    One of our charriots got attacked by a barb warrior and killed him without any damage. And we got lucky another time: Conf spread to Hastings.

150 BC:
    Currency is in and as we decided to go the war route I went on with iron working. The temple in Nottingham finished and I went on with a market.

75 BC:
    York finished his temple and went on with a Library.

50 BC:
    Hastings whiped it's Granary and went on with the court.

25 BC:
    London finished his temple as well and started on building military. And a GP wbidl.. Someone bulbed him to..

1 AD:
    Spoiler :

25 AD:
    Iron working is in and I changed tech to construction as we'll need at least a few cats..

50 AD:
    We founded Canterbury:
    Spoiler :

And another barb city got burned by our mighty charriots. Unfortenutaly we lost one at 76 odds but we've got at least a lvl 3 unit..
    Spoiler :

75 AD:
    As we can see we did quite a good job:
    Spoiler :

150 AD:
    The library in york finished and I changed to a monastery. And this is the point I finished playing.

So there is a sword, a spear and two charriots on the way to Hastings, and two more sword are on the build. So the next player is up to finish the SoD with some cats and axes..

Attached Files:

2. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

I think we're going to need to focus more on military if we want to take down SB. Prince+ AIs, especially protective ones, can be stubborn if you don't really bear down on military production.

3. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

:agree:

In the other SG I'm playing, I found out the hard way that SB's protective long bows are a real pain in the ass. So I think the next turnset (who is up next?) should focus on military and keeping good scouting on SB so we know what we are up against.

4. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Cripp's up, then me.

I think the priority should be catapults. We won't win the efficiency battle, but we can surprise SB with a significant numbers advantage. If our stack is massive enough that he can't attack it, we can take down his defenses, then attack with CR cats. Again, we'll lose a lot of cats this way, but the collateral damage will eventually let us overpower him.

I'll check the power graphs/tech screen (though not tonight) so I can be more specific, but I'm sticking with "hooray, cats!" as a general strategic offering.

5. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

I checked the power graph and we're way down, but not bad. I'll switch to war mode and start pumping out units. Swords/axes/cats/medic chariot you know the routine. I'll play today

Pre-turn
    Upgrade our Charlie & Bo chariots to a Medic I and Shock ut them on heal to send them on scouting patrol once healed in 1t
    Switch York to max growth in 1t and then hire eggheads to speed up Construction
    London sword due in 1t then barracks
    SB has a chariot & settler visible going where? Also he has HBR due in 3t so HAs are going to be up, spears need to be tagging along in our stack for defense

Turn 122
    London sword>barracks in rt growth in 2
    York :whipped: 2pop on monastery
    Willey goes forward to scout SB capital
    SB's settler going toward south of our copper

Turn 123
    :science:slider bleed -6@90% 0:gold: drop to 70% +2gpt Construction due in 2t
    York monastery>sword hire 2 eggs
    Nottingham sword>spear
    London :whipped: 2pop for barracks growth in 1t
    SB's settler 2S of copper
    Charlie sent west to scout

Turn 124
    London barracks>sword
    Hastings :whipped: courthouse growth in 1t
    SB's settler going toward our city marker
    Construction due next turn
    Bo sent scouting

Turn 125
    Construction in dial up Monarchy cuz we need the :)
    Spoiler :

London barracks>cat
    York sword>cat
    Nottingham spear>cat
    Hastings court>cat
    SB settled 1E of our city marker but has a chariot for garrison with a barb spear next to it, hopefully our barb friend will help us out
    Spoiler :

Turn 126
    Nottingham cat>cat
    SB parked another chariot so barb was no help

Turn 127
    zzz

Turn 128

York cat>sword

Turn 129
    London cat>sword
    Nottingham cat>cat
    SB has 8 cities up right now but only has dogs/protective archers, teching alpha in 4t so we can see what he has for techs. Know he doesn't have IW yet!

Turn 130
    York cat>axe
    Nottingham cat>cat
    Hastings cat>barracks

Turn 131
    Canterbury :whipped: granary growth in 1t
    London celebrate "We love you day" hire 2 eggs to help Monarchy in 2t
    Conf spread to Mound City
    SB has another settler going south, he's REXing fast now, but our war machine is getting bigger 6sword/2axe/2spear/5cats/3chariot

Turn 132
    London sword>spear
    Canterbury granary>WB
    Nottingham cat>cat

Turn 133
    Monarchy in dial up MC for forges, revolt
    Spoiler :

Nottingham cat>cat
    Canterbury wb>library
    GP born in London, put to sleep
    Spoiler :

Turn 134

Out of revolt
    Save here

Right now we have 7sword/7cat/2axe/2spear/3chariot
    Tech situation
    Spoiler :

And the world view
    Spoiler :

War machine is gearing up, we can raze cities in the south and keep a few in the N. I think capturing SB capital then go south.

6. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

I'll likely have a very build-up oriented round, and leave the war to the next person.

Additionally: got it.

7. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

IBT: Micro everything towards military. Get ready for whipping in most cities. Drop research rate -- we'll need about 150 gold to go 100% and get through MC, we're at 16, and I like cash on hand for events and emergency upgrades.

Turn 1: Axeman in York, whipped rax in Hastings. Both build cats. Whip the cat in Nottingham -- it's a 1-pop whip, we have spare happies, it's not growing, and we were working mediocre tiles. Send a worker working on a cottage at York to help mine near London.

Turn 2: Nottingham's whipped cat comes in, and I queue up another. The overflow will complete the vast majority of this one, making it 2-turn cat. The continuing presence of mediocre tiles makes me hungry to whip again, but I don't want to deal with the penalty, so I'll do it next turn.

York 2-pops a cat, since it's running low on happies. Micro Canterbury so it can whip a rax ASAP.

Turn 3: London goes spear->spear. Not whipping here since its production is good enough.

York goes cat->cat. Huge overflow, but York's sucky production means 3 turns. Assuming I don't whip of course. Which I will, next turn.

Canterbury whips its rax, and will grow back the pop next turn.

Hastings whips its cat, which should massively overflow. Who needs to work 2f/1h forest tiles, anyway?!

Turn 4: Nottingham goes cat -> cat. I'm reluctant to whip here, as the city is now massively efficient: I'd be whipping anyway mines.

Hastings goes cat -> spearman. Walls next. Surprised? Yeah, this city is right on the edge of SB's lands, and I don't want anything untoward happening. It can afford to do this, too -- NINE spare happies, and tons of food. I'm even chopping a nearby tree for an additional farm, which will provide more food AND a bunch of hammers.

Canterbury: rax -> spearman. This will be whippable next turn, which is convenient. Anything over 37 hammers would not be, and that's everything but spear/sword.

York whips its cat (it was one turn due to growth, but this city needs more whipping!).

Turn 5: London spear->sword, given that this will give us 2 spears/stack, which is fine by me. York cat->cat, Hastings spear->wall (see above).

Canterbury whips the spear, putting it in that happy place where it will grow again next turn. Queue up an axe, since we're set on spears now (this one will hang around and reinforce anywhere SB gets ornery).

Still can't 100% our way to MC, but we can get it at 80%, and we're more efficient on science than money right now. Some markets would be great...

Turn 6: We see HAs from SB for the first time. Luckily, he's loading them into one of the cities we'll be hitting first. They can suicide on our spears, our "defend" the city (get slaughtered by cats) -- great!

Nottingham goes cat->axe, as it can churn out axes in 2 turns, but cats in 3, and we could use some more cleaner-uppers for after collat has taken down defenders.

What a slow turn!

Turn 7: Sword->cat in London. London can keep churning out military to reinforce stacks as we go. Additionally, one of its new mines pops silver! Sweet!

Canterbury whips another axe. Note that this city is now producing an axe EVERY OTHER TURN (food is always plentiful), despite being tiny and new. This is just as good as Nottingham's 19h/t can do, though admittedly Canterbury will need some happy soon.

York "grows", by which I mean "whips". It, too, will not be in whippable shape much longer.

Turn 8: Cat->axe in York, Axe->Spear in Nottingham, Walls->cat in Hastings, axe->axe in Canterbury.

Turn 9: Axe -> cat in York. Canterbury whips down to 7/5 on the happy scale. Its growth next turn will bring it to 7/6, and since I plan on playing a 10 turn set, this will be the last I whip it. Hopefully with a little though it can start growing as happies come back or are otherwise added (buildings, silver coming online).

We have now FIRMLY overtaken SB in power.

Turn 10: Cat -> chariot in London, Cat->chariot in Nottingham, which is also microed to work 2 merchants (it has market for its shrine), cat->chariot in Hastings (chariots? Yeah, they're good for reinforcing, so I like to switch to them just before a war), axe->colosseum in Canterbury (another piece of keeping its happies up),

Summary: we have two stacks, one south of Hastings and one north-west of it, prepared to smash SB. We have more military coming (and some chariots, which will get there quickly). MC is coming in at -12 cash/turn, but with 85 cash (7 turns worth) and 5 turns left. I've whipped very, very heavily, but not so badly that we shouldn't be able to grow our cities if desired. Calendar will help with this, as well.

The next player should almost certainly declare war on SB within the first couple turns of his set. There's a bunch more units available, some on the road to the front, some hanging around Nottingham. I have, hopefully, removed all their go-to orders. SB cannot research Feudalism. So no longbows for him. He's actually working on MC as well, so he's pretty screwed.

I totally forgot about our GP. Drat. I nominate settling him in Nottingham. It's our long-term Wall Street city, and it already has a market. The +cash will let us research significantly faster, and Nottingham actually builds well enough that the hammers are good, too. Annoyed I forgot him, or I'd have done this at the beginning of my set, and would have another 14 or so hammers and 40 or so cash to our credit. Ah, well.

We'll want to build settlers and workers after this war, since SB's city placement was all wrong, and we'll want to resettle our continent. So much to do, so little time.

Attached Files:

8. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Got it! will take a look at the save. I hope the rax was a sword, looks like a lot of axes. but sounds like a lot of units, do a edit and post how many units in each stack

9. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

10. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Yeah I think I'm up next. Might be able to play tonight.

But I like Cripp's enthusiasm :)

11. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Hey Pnax -

Long story short - I'm trying to play my turnset on my laptop (on the road this week), where I have BTS 3.17 installed as well as the SG1Mod, and the BUG mod installed in the MODS folder.
    When i load the save, it pops up with an error saying that the save game is protected so ensure that contents in the assets folder have not been changed.

Obviously in the course of things - something must have gotten changed in the assets folder. So is there any way to tell what it is looking at when it decides something has been altered?

I'll keep wailing on it for a bit - but if I can't figure it out in the next hour or so, I'll have to punt and take my turnset tomorrow afternoon/evening when I get home.

12. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

No big deal -- I like to be prompt with SGs, but I'm not a whip-cracker like some folks around here.

I really have no clue why you'd get that error -- not unless you have corrupted files or something. But I'm still somewhat new to modding -- maybe someone on the modding forum could advise you?

13. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Appreciate the got it, even if it isn't yours :lol: "rax" is shorthand for "barracks" -- "bear-RAX" -- not axe. So don't worry too much about that. I haven't looked specifically, but I'd say it's about a dozen units per stack, and about half of that is catapults.

And we *still* haven't run into the modded component of this game.

14. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

whoops :smoke: my bad. still think we more swords for the one stack. plenty of cats, post a who's next after each turnset so we(me:crazyeye:) knows

15. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

We really won't need any swords, I don't think. Cats will bombard defenses to 0% while axe/spear defend against SB's counters, if any, then cats suicide (all should go CR route, don't upgrade the bombarding) against defenders. By the time a unit that can win a combat attacks, the defenders will all be at 3- strength, and we could walk in with chariots if we wanted.

That said, swords make things easier, and higher %, but I'd rather have the cats. Collateral is key (just ask Mao).

16. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

From what I could gather - it is a result of having the 'no cheating' option enabled. Before I found that out, I didn't know if maybe the mod had something in it where it checked for very specific files or what not.

Either way - I'll have a chance to play my set today when I get home.

In the past, I did rename some of the sounds directories on my laptop. I thought I set everything back to default and normal, but apparently not. I'll probably just reinstall.

17. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Yeah I've been wondering about that...

18. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Must be a different continent...:mischief:

19. silk1976

silk1976 Building empire

Dunno WTF that was all about. I got home, changed the windowed mode option in BTS (to enable it, for faster switching in and out of BTS), and couldn't load the save at home either. Changed the windowed mode back to disabled, and still couldn't load. Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the whole damn thing. Don't have a clue why changing from full screen to windowed mode would cause the game to consider that to be a cheat. I'll have to test it out later.

Anyway, 'ere we go:
    Situation scan: Keep an axe back in Hastings for defense. Its a border town.

Turn 145
    London: Chariot > catapult. Gonna need lots of cats against SB protective bow's

Turn 146
    zzz (maneuvering into DoW position

Turn 147
    nottingham: chariot > axe
    Hastings: chariot > spear
    SB has mostly archers and a few chariots - so chariots that receive no bonuses vs those units dont seem to be the best option.

DoW on SB. Hey, thanks for the worker! :lol:
    Spoiler :

Turn 148
    London: cat > cat

adjust slider to 40% - having military in enemy lands skyrockets our maint costs

Turn 149
    AP built in far away land
    SB attempts to sneak a chariot. Our spear has other ideas
    Spoiler :

Attack random archer in open - much easier when he's not in city, where he gets +125%
    Spoiler :

Turn 150
    Metal casting > machinery. It's a prereq for maces, which would be nice - and its necessary for trebs as well.

bombard poverty point

Move slider down to 10% - highest setting where we wont go broke

Turn 151
    Technically, we suck.
    Spoiler :

begin bombardment of cahokia. This will take a turn or two.

throw cats at poverty point. This will suck, with these odds
    Spoiler :

Surprisingly, we only lose 2 cats.

SUCK IT, SB! We capture Poverty Point.
    Spoiler :

Not sure whether to keep or not. Decide to raze

Turn 152
    Continue bombarding cahokia. Move PP assault group towards cahokia to join in on the fun

Turn 153
    Settle GP in nottingham

finish bombarding cahokia. Begin attacking. Only lose 1 cat. I'm having very different results with SB this time, as opposed to another SG where I lost a lot of cats.

Take Cahokia.
    Spoiler :

Begin courthouse

Turn 154
    Move all units to our borders to minimize maint costs while healing.
    Move slider back to 70 (-14 :gold: per turn, but with conquest :gold: we can run this for a bit). Will have to MM slider based on army location.

Saved here

- The two main armies are consolidated in cahokia, healing. Might be able to send some units up towards mound city in 1 or 2 turns to clean up the north - or can wait all 3 turns to fully heal.
    - Some of the cats are promo'd for barrage.
    - Most of the cities in the south are defending by two archers, that I can see.
    - There is a small stack right near Nottingham that I labelled as a settler squashing stack. SB has a few settlers in Mound City, and that stack could be used to assault settlers should he decide to settle another city in the north.
    - I think once we knock out the northern cities, the southern ones will be relatively easy to mop up, once the army is healed. SB will probably whip archers in desparation, so I'd anticipate needing a lot of cats.
    - I settled our great prophet in nottingham for the quick :gold: boost - when the army is in SB lands, our economy tanks. So we'll have to micromanage the slider based on army location.
    - I think the locations of Mound City and Chacho Canyon are actually OK. I razed PP because nothing much struck me about its location, and 1N would probably be better eventually.
    - My thoughts for next turnset are to finish up the northern part of the continent.
    - For tech, I picked machinery, since maces will be useful, and it is also on the way to construction. Since our attacks on SB thus far have seen limited losses, going the warmongering tech route may not be the best option. Either way, our economy is going to be tanked until we finish off SB. At that point we can look at techs like CS and calendar so that we can properly set up our cities for optimum effectiveness.

Roster:
    silk - just played
    thy - up next
    cripp - on deck
    pnaxighn - chillin like a villain.

Edit: just occured to me - I believe in the other SG where we lost lots of cats and trebs, we were going against longbows, not simple archers.

Attached Files:

20. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

That's gotta be placebo. There must be something else you did, because I play in windowed mode!
    I'd advocate dropping it to 0. Spare money can be used to upgrade units if needed, or to run heavy research once we have the continent fully settled and really able to turn up the heat.
    Yes! I had thought about this, but forgot to mention it. That city was terrible considering the other cities around it. Good call.
    Umm...shouldn't we take his capital ASAP? That'll be his primary military pump...
    This is :smoke:, I think. CR2 > barrage. Barrage saves some time, CR2 saves some cats. But this is the only thing you did I disagree with.
    Yeah, protective LBs are incredibly powerful with a couple city defense upgrades. Protective archers are easily beatable with cats, especially when there are few enough that they all get hit with collateral.