• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Polish Cavalry 1939

Status
Not open for further replies.
kmirt said:
... in German Verniggsgedunke(not Blitzkrieg as everyone thinks) ...

Sorry, but this is no German word at all. I doesn't even exist. ;)

Maybe you spelled it wrong? Could you please look it up and post the correct word?

Cavalry vs Tank is a nice image in japanimation though.
Personally i think that tanks must have been very impressive when they first came out, but in our age a tank is just something normal.
In african civil wars i doubt that you see tanks around, if a faction had a tank it would immediately become a regional superpower.

That war has become something unrelated to bravery and individual might was a topic debated already in the ancient times, some greek historians of that era considered those who waged war with bows and arrows to be cowards and undeserving of victory, and the ancient greek armies consisted mostly of bands of hoplites, with the nobles making up the ranks of the cavalry.

When i play RON i always end the game in the enlightment era, i dislike to see the wonderfull cavalry change to tanks :)

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Good for you Wyrm. Don't let people on the forums bother you, as long as you know you are right, thats all that matters( ;) not being sarcastic by the way)

Does anyone have any recommended stats for both a standard WW1/WW2 Cavalry unit as well as this Polish Cavalry? Perhaps they would be faster than past cavalry?
I would use them exactly like cavalry (already in the game).
One thing I changed in my game was to reduce the attack strength of the cavalry by 1, since cavalry, even in the Civil War (1860's), was famous for their bravery and horrible casualty rate.
The default CIV3 cavalry unit as an attack/defense of 6/3. I think 5/3 is more realistic. The key to their success is their mobility, not to stand their ground, but to retreat when they need to. Move to the flanks of the enemy and harry them, get behind them and cut them off if possible.
If I want my cavalry to succeed, I have to pound on the enemy with cannon first. I like it like this.

Hmm, I doubt speed or equipment would differ at all between WW I and II- after all the Uhlans were using the same tactics since pre-Napoleonic times. Lance, Saber, Rifle- all there.

Tho, perhaps one could persuade Wyrmshadow to make other European Lancers for WWI & II some day.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Wyrmshadow says he isn't making any more organic units. He only did this one because it was special to him.
If only I could convince him Norwegian mountain troops were also special to him :)
I know it is blashphemy to use polish unit like this for their enemies, but that is what I am doing. I gave it to the germans and the russians. The poles are a great people, with a proud history. But I'm not adding them to my game.

This is just one of those units that you find some way to include.

Actually Poland is a fun civ to have in the game. Piernik did a really great Cashimir the Great leaderhead thats right up there in terms of quality with Firaxis. In one game in my old mod, I conquered Germany using Hussars and Trebechet...(ironic). Plus the fact that I may be descended from a Polish regent(My mother's side of the family is from Lithuania), makes me alittle bias.

Bjornlo said:
If only I could convince him Norwegian mountain troops were also special to him :)
I know it is blashphemy to use polish unit like this for their enemies, but that is what I am doing. I gave it to the germans and the russians. The poles are a great people, with a proud history. But I'm not adding them to my game.

This is just one of those units that you find some way to include.
Norwegian Mountain troops ? Not that I could do them, but out of curiosity- like with skies and stuff... wwii?

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I doubt it peasant... :lol:
:D seriously- how come noone ever descends of the local trashman- or the royal postman- some carpenter, or something :D In my case I can safely claim being of blue blood (why should I be any different ;))

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Norwegian Mountain troops ? Not that I could do them, but out of curiosity- like with skies and stuff... wwii?
They were often on Skis, but they also climbed mountains, etc.
In WW2 is when they saw heavy combat. I was at the site of a famous battle way out on the south west coast (inbetween Stavanger and Kristiansand). There was a plaque on this rock commorating a Norwegian mount unit that learned of a Nazi landing there and went on foot all the way from Oslo (over a 5 hour drive). When they got there there was an entire SS division (with all the fancy toys those boys always got). Out numbered 6 or 7 to 1, they fought the Nazi's to a standstill inflicting very heavy casualties eventually forcing the larger better equipped SS unit to withdraw. And they only 1 Norwegian mount trouper was killed in that fight. Then (still on foot) they returned quickly to Oslo to provide a rear-guard action to allow the King and the government to escape, because Norway had by this time been betrayed by Sweden and a large land invasion by Germans crossing from sweden was taking place. The unit did not survive this second engagement, but the King and the parliment did escape and Norway continued the longest resistance of the war (before Russia).

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
:D seriously- how come noone ever descends of the local trashman- or the royal postman- some carpenter, or something :D In my case I can safely claim being of blue blood (why should I be any different ;))

As can I, not that it matters. Eldest son of the eldest son going back a millenia. But long ago the title ceased to matter. Norway's present King is little or no relation to me.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:

On my dad's side I'm descended from an italian painter... :mischief:

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
On my dad's side I'm descended from an italian painter... :mischief:
Mike di Angelo ;) ???

:lol: From my dad's side I am sliiightly related to Windsor and Liechtenstein (over three corners). The other family side is a bit mirky since most ancestoral documents were destroyed in the war. Had my mom married the other guy I'd be a von Habsburg- but perhaps then I hadn't been born at all or something, or I'd be a girl instead, or not here to hold this conversation... :king:

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
... and Poland... ;) not to mention Abyssinia and China... :crazyeye:

Well China did not every fully surrender. So I guess the longest resistence goes there, since Norway did fall it just took longer then all of continental europe combined. But Abyssinia... wasn't that one of the places in Africa that got conquered by a whole bunch of different people?

Sweden? ... uhm, seriously? link please ...

Poland: 1939-1944 (July)

China never surrendered, and afaik there hasn't been a formal peace treaty since between Japan and China. The Sino-Japanese war is also reffered to as the "Chinese People's 8 year Anti-Japanese War of Resistance" (1937-1945).

Abyssinia: 1936-1941 invaded by Italy, then Britain -1944
---

While German troops remained in Norway even after WWII had ended in Europe, those troops just remained there until the Allies could transport them away, due to logistical problems merely. One can't really speak of resistance during a period where there is no regime that would need to be resisted against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom