Political Correctness Help

On the subject of PC terms, I will never forgive my 2nd grade teacher for forcing us to write out "African-American" on our essays on MLK rather than 'black. (She also made us write out in full 'The Revered Doctor Martin Luther King Junior'.) Also, never use 'Afro-American'. As it was explained to me, "Afro is a hairstyle, Africa is a place".

Idealogical and/or stupid teachers in our early lives still have an undue influence on thinking. Just shows how malleable young minds are and why Lenin was obsessed with getting very young children into state-run nurseries. Troubling.

I really haven't found any sort of connotation in these terms. They certainly aren't dirty words in common American parlance. To be frank it's not a word I hear very often except when I hear college students who think very highly of themselves make incorrect generalizations about language, ethnicity, and "race".

For me they have a bit of a negative connotation (or at least implication) but that's mainly a product of being around here for 4 years.

*Ahem*..

;):D

:lol:However, in Owens defense (and my apologies Owen as it's not my place and I'm sure you're big enough and ugly enough to defend yourself, but I've been around the block a few times so from time to time I don't mind to espouse) it would be wrong to confuse his high opinion of his opinions with a high opinion of himself. There is a subtle but tangible difference.

I've never understood why people who don't feel comfortable in binary gender roles can't just stick with the singular "they." It's already a pretty widespread part of colloquial English, which puts it streets ahead of weird constructs.

It is weird to use plural to refer to a single person of unknown gender. I'd much rather use the PC "he or she" or "s/he". I don't understand what the big deal about hiding grammatical gender is anyway (my native tongue is extremely gender based).

When I was at school we used to calll a blackboard a blackboard, now they have to find another name for it, because apparently its offensive!

Sometimes I think people confuse being politically correct with showing respect for others though, whoever they are. So not using certain terms is not being politically correct but just showing respect, like I would never call someone a redkneck etc.

When I was at school we used to calll a blackboard a blackboard, now they have to find another name for it, because apparently its offensive!

Yeah, that tends to happen when certain words are phonetically close to taboo words. Google niggardly + "Washington" for a nice example.

Idealogical and/or stupid teachers in our early lives still have an undue influence on thinking. Just shows how malleable young minds are and why Lenin was obsessed with getting very young children into state-run nurseries. Troubling.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was a former Black Panther. Considering the quality of the school I attended in Georgia they could have done far worse than her. (Fun Fact: The park next to the school had the highest rate of arrest for public exposure in Georgia!)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was a former Black Panther. Considering the quality of the school I attended in Georgia they could have done far worse than her. (Fun Fact: The park next to the school had the highest rate of arrest for public exposure in Georgia!)

It is never beautiful young woman who indulge in public exposure either, always the weird blokes in massive overcoats. Shame.

I do hope we get some more Femen protest in Britain though ;)

Maybe it's an exercise in being PC.

Maybe it's a conscious decision not to be jerkish and instead not use a term, whilst technically correct, that is clearly designed to belittle.

Illegal immigrant isn't a term to belittle, undocumented worker is a genuine ploy to decieve people making them out to be merely unaccounted for rather then the genuine criminals they are.

I personally prefer the term "Free Market Immigrant."

"Illegal" gives some people the false impression that violating overreaching government regulations is somehow a bad thing. I wouldn't want to confuse people into thinking that immigration laws are like the prohibition against murder when they are really more like the fugitive slave acts.

Illegal immigrant isn't a term to belittle, undocumented worker is a genuine ploy to decieve people making them out to be merely unaccounted for rather then the genuine criminals they are.

"Illegal" gives some people the false impression that violating overreaching government regulations is somehow a bad thing. I wouldn't want to confuse people into thinking that immigration laws are like the prohibition against murder when they are really more like the fugitive slave acts.

Well Winner, here you go. Terminology is the same as taking political positions.

Any word that has phobia at the end of it is a word of political correctness. Islamaphobia and Homophobia are two such cases.

No, Islamophobia isn't. Granted, if that word were used simply to describe anyone who criticized that faith or their Qu'ran, then that would be a "PC" term. However, in reality, most Evangelicals ARE "Islamophobic." Anyone who believes in the "They hate us for our freedoms" crap about anyone that doesn't have a name like Lindsey Graham, Barack Obama, or some other politician in the US, is an islamophobe. Anyone who has a problem with the "Ground Zero" Mosque is an islamophobe.

Well, it still IS illegal. Its technically correct, even if the laws are bad.

I don't disagree with you on principle but the fugitive slave act comparison is kind of dramatic:lol: That, and we really need to abolish welfare before we just open the gates. Or at least let people come in, but don't allow them to vote themselves entitlements.

Rand Paul's platform on this seems pretty good to me given political reality.

Dramatic, yes, but also accurate.

I did not say that immigration laws are equivalent to or as egregious as the fugitive slave acts were, merely that they have much more in common with such unjust laws than they do with more fundamental laws with a clear basis in ethical principles that are (almost) universally supported.

There are definitely similarities though. The Fugitive Slave Acts were undeniably migration regulations. A slave plantation frankly meets all the criteria required for us to consider it to be a state, a particularly brutal one despite the lack of full sovereignty. The legal process by which a slave could move about legally required appealing to their owners rather than to bureaucrats purporting to serve a democratic state, but the principle is much the same. Slaves (and in some cases, free blacks) were forced to carry paperwork that was the equivalent of passports, visas, and work permits whenever they were allowed to venture off their master's property (usually to fetch him supplies or to be rented out as a laborer for someone else). The fugitive slave act punished not only the migrants (runaway slaves) but also the local citizens who chose to help them rather than acting as agents of the forces that imprisoned them. The same can be said of those who employ illegal immigrants, particularly if such draconian measures such as universal mandated use of E-Verify are passed.

Regulating migration has no place in "The Land of the Free." It has always been a hallmark of totalitarian regimes. The distinction between slave and free is blurry; most involuntary servitude in history has not been chattel slavery, but something more akin to serfdom. The defining factor of such a status is bondage not to a master, but to a territory which one is not allowed to leave without special permissions. There typically are also duties to serve in labor corvees and pay taxes, but those are secondary and usually justified as rent payments for what land the serf is permitted within the borders of the manor. A freely mobile worker would not have to accept such terms.

The bible actually describes the status of Israelites in Egypt not as chattel slavery, but as something very much like serfdom. When they escaped, they founded a society with no place for such restrictions on the movement of peoples. They were enjoyed to remember the plight of the alien and to love him. The Law of Moses not only welcomed immigrants, but explicitly granted the poor sojourners full and equal Gleaner's Rights (which many would call Welfare, although it does not require any State or government to administer) and even a portion of tithes during certain years. The prophets are pretty clear that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed primarily for how they treated poor immigrants.

Dramatic, yes, but also accurate.

I did not say that immigration laws are equivalent to or as egregious as the fugitive slave acts were, merely that they have much more in common with such unjust laws than they do with more fundamental laws with a clear basis in ethical principles that are (almost) universally supported.

There are definitely similarities though. The Fugitive Slave Acts were undeniably migration regulations. A slave plantation frankly meets all the criteria required for us to consider it to be a state, a particularly brutal one despite the lack of full sovereignty. The legal process by which a slave could move about legally required appealing to their owners rather than to bureaucrats purporting to serve a democratic state, but the principle is much the same. Slaves (and in some cases, free blacks) were forced to carry paperwork that was the equivalent of passports, visas, and work permits whenever they were allowed to venture off their master's property (usually to fetch him supplies or to be rented out as a laborer for someone else). The fugitive slave act punished not only the migrants (runaway slaves) but also the local citizens who chose to help them rather than acting as agents of the forces that imprisoned them. The same can be said of those who employ illegal immigrants, particularly if such draconian measures such as universal mandated use of E-Verify are passed.

Regulating migration has no place in "The Land of the Free." It has always been a hallmark of totalitarian regimes. The distinction between slave and free is blurry; most involuntary servitude in history has not been chattel slavery, but something more akin to serfdom. The defining factor of such a status is bondage not to a master, but to a territory which one is not allowed to leave without special permissions. There typically are also duties to serve in labor corvees and pay taxes, but those are secondary and usually justified as rent payments for what land the serf is permitted within the borders of the manor. A freely mobile worker would not have to accept such terms.

The bible actually describes the status of Israelites in Egypt not as chattel slavery, but as something very much like serfdom. When they escaped, they founded a society with no place for such restrictions on the movement of peoples. They were enjoyed to remember the plight of the alien and to love him. The Law of Moses not only welcomed immigrants, but explicitly granted the poor sojourners full and equal Gleaner's Rights (which many would call Welfare, although it does not require any State or government to administer) and even a portion of tithes during certain years. The prophets are pretty clear that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed primarily for how they treated poor immigrants.

I think that in the same way that certain sins, such as homosexual sex, witchcraft, idolatry, that sort of thing, were illegal under OT law but don't necessarily (And not according to my principles) need to be illegal under New Testament law, charity is something that is immoral to withhold, and in the OT it was in fact illegal not to give charity under certain conditions. Even so, I don't consider gleaner's rights to be as big a distortion of the economy or as much of a problem as "Normal" welfare.

Personally, my stance is that anyone should be able to come here, work, whatever but not necessarily that anyone should be able to vote, and the more people we can NOT allow to take welfare, the better. It should be very, VERY easy to come here. It should at least require being informed to be allowed to vote.

Top Bottom