Poll: C7 system requirements

What system(s) would you choose to play C7 if it were available?

• Windows 8, 10, 11

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Mac OS

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Linux

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • 32-bit Windows, Mac, or Linux

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Any other platform (please comment)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Native Civ3 resolution (XGA 1024x768)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Higher resolution (1080p, etc)

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Steam Deck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Touchscreen tablet (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WildWeazel

Carthago Creanda Est
This poll is to help determine which platforms we need to support in C7. We already provide builds for Windows, Linux, and Mac and will continue to do so, but the exact OS versions and CPU types that we can support may depend on some technical decisions related to the Godot engine. We'd also like to know if you intend to play at the same or higher screen resolution. The poll is multiple choice so choose whatever may apply.

Note that the question is not "where do you play Civ3?", but where would you choose to play C7 if it were available? If the answer is something other than the options you see here, or you don't know which options apply to you, please comment. If you're a Mac or Linux user, we'd like to know which version and what kind of CPU. We can't guarantee every platform but we want to support as many players as possible.

Last edited:
If you're a Mac or Linux user, we'd like to know which version and what kind of CPU.
Linux Mint, usually whatever the latest stable/long-term support is (in recent years, 17, 18, etc.). 4GB of RAM. This computer still has a Windows XP partition used for offline stuff like -you guessed it- civ3.

64-bit Fedora Linux on either an old chromebook (6 years) or an even older Dell XPS 15 (12 years). So if it works on slow old hardware with lower resolutions I'll be very grateful!

EDIT: Probably not realistic but have you considered mobile? I play a couple of different ports of Freeciv on Android.

Last edited:
64! I voted the non-32 Linux option.

Probably not realistic but have you considered mobile?

The game engine Godot supports Android and iOS (with some limitations like GLES2 instead of 3), but I have zero idea how you can play a Civ3-like game on mobile. We'd have to design a completely new touch UI, and I don't think any of us devs are UI people.

This poll is to help determine which platforms we need to support in C7. We already provide builds for Windows, Linux, and Mac and will continue to do so, but the exact OS versions and CPU types that we can support may depend on some technical decisions related to the Godot engine. We'd also like to know if you intend to play at the same or higher screen resolution. The poll is multiple choice so choose whatever may apply.

Note that the question is not "where do you play Civ3?", but where would you choose to play C7 if it were available? If the answer is something other than the options you see here, or you don't know which options apply to you, please comment. If you're a Mac or Linux user, we'd like to know which version and what kind of CPU. We can't guarantee every platform but we want to support as many players as possible.

64 bit, Manjaro, 5900X at 1440p

Not getting a Steam Deck personally, but I think it's something to consider steam deck. I know it doesn't make sense given Linux is already on here but steamdeck has a different handling system and an odd resolution. Of course, Steam Deck compatibility would add a lot more work for perhaps no one but it might add some future proofing if the steam deck ever becomes a standard thing in the future (Honestly, I think it will be)

Last edited:
I marked Win8–11 and Linux. I have Win8.1 at present, but when support is inevitably withdrawn for this iteration, I am already thinking that I will be more inclined to move over to Linux than 'upgrade' *hollow laugh* to Win10/ 11/ whatever.

My sons have an XBox and a Switch between them, but the thought of trying to play a Civ-like 4X using a console gamepad inspires only :run:

I am already thinking that I will be more inclined to move over to Linux than 'upgrade' *hollow laugh* to Win10/ 11/ whatever

Me veering a bit off-topic here: Yeah, I'm hearing nothing good about Win11. I'm usually an early adopter, but none of my hardware will run it, and it's not even the TPM 2.0 that's my issue as I have mostly business-class hardware.

I was a semi-defender of Vista and Win8.0 when they were new. Win8.1 made 8 much more tolerable. I can't currently recall if there was any gain for the user whatsoever going to Win10 aside from the promise it was the last Windows. I found something of use in every Windows new release, but it sounds like Win11 is a step backwards for no gain for the user, and a bunch of in-OS ads to boot.

IMO Win7 was the golden age of Windows. The past couple of years I'm using Mac more as my primary system, and Windows is almost exclusively for old games.

I've been using Linux since the mid-1990s, but almost exclusively headless (no GUI). If I were to stand up a Linux GUI I'd probably start with Ubuntu LTS as that's my go-to for headless. But I wonder if I'd want a GUI that stayed more up-to-date.

What are the go-to desktop Linux systems these days?

5900X at 1440p
Alas, I am bested!

IMO Win7 was the golden age of Windows. ... Windows is almost exclusively for old games.
Hear hear!

What are the go-to desktop Linux systems these days?
Ubuntu LTS is still pretty much the entry level Linux, with a strong showing from Mint for Windows emigrants. Manjaro and Fedora for general development, CentOS for stable enterprise work, Puppy for lightweight systems. I've been really satisfied with Pop! OS for gaming. There are plenty of annual "n best Linux distros in yyyy" lists but those are the usual suspects.

For the developer user, the command prompt improvements in Windows 10, which included but were not limited to the Windows Subsystem for Linux, were a major new feature. Not enough for me to update my desktop to it, but a major feature. Build-in virtual desktop support was arguably another.

For the end user... maybe Edge as an IE replacement if they stuck with the default browser? DirectX 12 for gamers, although it took awhile for it to have enough games to count for a lot.

So far the poll is shaping up about as I'd expect, which is good... if the answer were mostly "other", we'd have a problem.

Today I learned that we can figure out how many people downloaded each version via the GitHub API. Thus, we now have some stats on whether this poll is close to reality or not. In short, it is!

In long, these are our numbers:

Aztec

49 total downloads

Windows: 22 (45%)
Linux: 11 (22%)
Mac: 16 (33%)

Babylon

63 total downloads

Windows: 31 (49%)
Linux: 20 (32%)
Mac: 12 (19%)

Carthage Preview 1

24 total downloads

Windows: 17 (71%)
Linux: 3 (13%)
Mac: 4 (17%)

Carthage Preview 2

17 total downloads (and counting?)

Windows: 11 (65%)
Linux: 6 (35%)
Mac: 0 (0%)

Overall

153 downloads

Windows: 81 (53%)
Linux: 40 (26%)
Mac: 32 (21%)

Not exactly the numbers in the poll, but in the same order. And the poll here is multiple-choice.

-----

It's also interesting that Babylon was a lot more popular than Carthage Preview 1. I know WildWeazel and I are in agreement that we're no longer in the "shiny, new, and exciting" phase but are now in the "a lot of work to reach a playable game" phase. But that it accumulated less than half of the total, despite being the "current" version much longer, suggests that it was not as compelling of an upgrade; some people likely decided to just wait till the next release or next full milestone (which isn't out yet).

Or maybe we still have signs pointing to Babylon as the current version somewhere. I don't know how many of those 63 Babylon downloads were after the release of Carthage.

Update: Apparently our project website (https://c7-game.github.io) had Babylon links until 4 days before Carthage Preview 2 was released. This suggests that a significant number of people may be using those download links to try out the project.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping y'all give SteamOS a chance...
According to Reddit, SteamOS can run Linux programs, so theoretically it should be able to run C7.

Whether that works well by default or not... I'm not sure. Maybe I'll download SteamOS and put it on a virtual machine and see if C7 runs all right on it. But with the engine we are using, at least as far as I know on the current version, there isn't an option to export to SteamOS in particular, just Linux in general as a theoretically-compatible option.

Props for giving the "other platform" a vote with a specific answer! And even better that it's something that might be realistic, rather than, say CP/M or BeOS. (If it were Haiku I would hold out some remote hope that in 2027 or so that might also be possible)

According to Reddit, SteamOS can run Linux programs, so theoretically it should be able to run C7.

Whether that works well by default or not... I'm not sure.
Fair enough. Hopefully it works. If not, then there is Proton...

I'm not sure. Maybe I'll download SteamOS and put it on a virtual machine and see if C7 runs all right on it.
I'd wait on doing that for a little while. While you can download SteamOS it's only a recovery image. While you can technically install it to other devices and there are some fan solutions to make it work it isn't officially supported and is more than a little janky. I would personally wait until a proper official release drops.

Props for giving the "other platform" a vote with a specific answer! And even better that it's something that might be realistic, rather than, say CP/M or BeOS. (If it were Haiku I would hold out some remote hope that in 2027 or so that might also be possible)

Well, I do have a bit of an agenda to push for SteamOS. Not only do I plan on getting a Steam Deck (hopefully ordering it today [knock on wood]) but I eventually plan on switching to using SteamOS on my main computer.

Top Bottom