Poll: Poll: What form of money do you use?

What forms of money do you use?

• Cash

Votes: 65 60.2%
  • Credit Card

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Debit Card

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Checks

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Wire Transfers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gift cards only!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Money? I just barter.

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
I use a credit card for just about every purchase over $5.

When the bill comes, I pay it off, so no interest charges.

I'm of the opinion that credit cards are the path to financial ruin so I mainly use my debit-card. I can easily login to my bank account to reconcile all my receipts. I pay a few things by check like rent, car insurance and utilities.

I'm of the opinion that credit cards are the path to financial ruin so I mainly use my debit-card. I can easily login to my bank account to reconcile all my receipts. I pay a few things by check like rent, car insurance and utilities.

Credit cards can be of some use - for example, if you have an expense in the middle of the month, when your finances might be running low because of paying off standing orders and such at the beginning of the month, which uses up a fair bit of your paycheque, then you can use the credit card to purchase it immediately, and pay off the balance in full at the end of the month when your paycheque comes in. They help to cover irregularities in the timing of your payments/expenses, basically.

I think it's fair to say, the use of a credit card requires more 'self control'.

A lot people lack that when using credit-cards and will keep using them until they are maxed out. A lot of college students fall into that trap then credit-card company grins in delight like a predator that just caught it's prey.

I almost *always* use my debit. I don't like to carry cash, since I might

a) lose it
b) get mugged
c) be more tempted to by stupid crap.

I keep some coins for my laundry/parking meters/speedway slurpee fund...but almost everything else is the plastic.

Only Cash.

almost always cash unless i purchase something online then i use the credit card

Isn't cash the worst to use? You lose it it's gone. At least with a debit/credit card you you have some protection.

Plastic is the best.
I have a Visa credit/debit (meaning that the debit is made at the end of the month) and hardly ever use anything else.
Cash ? Beuark ! Banknotes are easy to lose and coins smell bad (You realize that a gazillion people touched those before you got them).

Pay in full every month, as I do, and you know what VISA calls you? A deadbeat.

That's because you're not making them much money (only the fees from each place you used the card on) rather than the big-game interest profits.

Anyway, the debit card has become king for me ever since I got it. So, yes, I did turn into one of those people using the card for a $4 purchase (also helps that the Bank of America's Keep the Change program matches 100% of all the extra change for the first three months...I won't turn down bits of free money). Since it's also a Visa card, I've been using it for online purchases (such as eBay or when I had to purchase some books). I've also used the credit part of the card at certain places where their machine messed up and for whatever reason wouldn't go through fully with the debit process. No difference to me, the money is immediately withdrawn without fee.

I still use my two credit cards a fair amount, though now that I'm in a better place financially than I was two months ago, I can now pay off a large portion of what I have on there. Besides, might as well keep building the credit history....

Cash I still use at the stores that only operate in cash or when I need quarters.

I've only written three checks in two months. In the future, I'll end up only writing one check a month, for the rent, all else being equal.

1. Debit/Credit Card ( is both only use credit when debit isn't accepted won't go through)

2. Chargecard (specifically AmEx..when neither of above is acceptable..or I gain an advantage from it)

Wow - I didn't expect cold, hard cash to be the majority when I started this poll. I was expecting credit cards, or at least credit+debit, to be the majority.

The inconvenice of not having a credit card for me is that I can't buy most things on the Internet without one...which is good from the point of forcing a degree of fiscal prudence, but not helpful when trying to buy airline tickets home. So eventually I figure I'll have to get a credit card at least for those circumstances.

Thought of a question on this topic earlier today: how much would you have to withdraw to bankrupt the ATM machine? Obviously they can't have an infinite amount of money, but they must have a good amount.

A lot of the people here aren't even old enough to have a credit card (even one of those that they allow to hand out to 16 year olds, like I had once upon a time).

Plastic is the best.
I have a Visa credit/debit (meaning that the debit is made at the end of the month) and hardly ever use anything else.

My debit card works like this, but the withdrawal happens in 2-3 days. I use it for nearly everything (as credit) as there's no fees; in Canada, debt cards just work like an instant cheque. I use cash more often when I'm there.

Cash, 'cause I don't have any of those other fancy things.

Top Bottom