1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(poll) What civs would you like to see in a hypothetical third expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Krajzen, Feb 6, 2019.

?

What 8 civs would you like in a third expansion?

1. Babylon

128 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Portugal

138 vote(s)
    63.0%
  3. Maya

161 vote(s)
    73.5%
  4. Byzantium

121 vote(s)
    55.3%
  5. Ethiopia

115 vote(s)
    52.5%
  6. Italy

63 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. Vietnam

93 vote(s)
    42.5%
  8. Morocco/Moors

66 vote(s)
    30.1%
  9. Assyria

53 vote(s)
    24.2%
  10. Austria

40 vote(s)
    18.3%
  11. Burma

17 vote(s)
    7.8%
  12. Chola/Tamil

21 vote(s)
    9.6%
  13. Timurids

17 vote(s)
    7.8%
  14. Armenia

35 vote(s)
    16.0%
  15. Afghanistan

14 vote(s)
    6.4%
  16. Hittites

47 vote(s)
    21.5%
  17. Benin

17 vote(s)
    7.8%
  18. Ashanti

24 vote(s)
    11.0%
  19. Swahilli

29 vote(s)
    13.2%
  20. Zimbabwe

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  21. Bulgaria

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  22. Bohemia

14 vote(s)
    6.4%
  23. Ireland

32 vote(s)
    14.6%
  24. Romania

27 vote(s)
    12.3%
  25. Goths

37 vote(s)
    16.9%
  26. Gran Colombia

43 vote(s)
    19.6%
  27. Mughals

25 vote(s)
    11.4%
  28. Olmec, Toltec, Zapotec etc

20 vote(s)
    9.1%
  29. Navajo

64 vote(s)
    29.2%
  30. Native Americans - other than Navajo

73 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Correct, though the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian all had their niches. The Tlingit made Chilkat blankets and were probably the finest carvers, the Haida were the finest canoe-makers, and the Tsimshian were the finest mask makers (look up "Tsimshian transformation masks").

I started a paper for a class in college comparing Granuaile to Cleopatra. I had to abandon it because it ended up being really little more than pointing out coincidences, but the list of coincidental parallels in their lives was still rather fascinating.

Jkchart, Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  2. Patine

Patine Deity

Gandhi's rendering in-game is particularly bad, even if he RESEMBLES the real person. With his rendered body shape and posture, and the bad memes in Civ player culture, I can't help but imagining him neurotically stroking a nuclear launch "red button" saying, "don't worries, My Precious, we'll nukeses the tricksy rival leaderses' cities after pokesing their eyeses out!"

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Roger Zelazny's novel Lord of Light had a Hinduism-based culture in a science-fiction setting that included a description of a nuclear strike that always comes to mind whenever I have to deal with Civ Gandhi in game:

"The God with the wide-brimmed hat will nod his head over your cities."

The term "genocidally poetic" comes to mind. . .

Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  4. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

Though the Tlingit are still my preferred PNW civ, that is some nice info that I'm glad to know about. I looked up the Tsimshian transformation masks and was not disappointed!

Yeah, I can see the similarities. Brian Boru was my choice to lead Ireland for a while (and he would still be a good choice) but I've come to see Granuaile as a fun alternative. You'd have to go out of your way to make someone known as the Pirate Queen of Ireland boring! If only we could have her and Elizabeth in the same game!

Can't say I disagree. There are some leaders that I don't mind at all if they keep returning but Gandhi isn't one of them for me. I'd hope that next time we could have Chandragupta be the initial Hindu/Jainist leader and leave an alt leader spot for someone else like one of the Mughal emperors.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  5. Patine

Patine Deity

I'd also greatly like an Indian alt leader from the Sikh Confederacy, and/or maybe one of the Three Southern Tamil Dynasties.

Guandao, Zaarin and TahamiTsunami like this.
  6. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

No complaints here, just no Gandhi and we're set!

7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'd like to see India split into multiple civs. It's one of the franchise's last ridiculous blob civs, and it could easily be replaced by Tamil, Maurya, and Mughal civs (as an example).

Guandao likes this.
  8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Maratha Empire, maybe, too... If we'll get rid of Nuclear Gandhi, I'll support it.

It's true that whole India had been united by the British Empire. The closest to the total domination over India other than the British were the Mughals and the Mauryas.

9. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

That would be a neat idea and I would have no complaints, though the developers might be reluctant to split up a modern nation regardless of the age of the leaders in it. Then again they did split up Greece and Macedonia so who knows!

@Zaarin I forgot to ask earlier but what did you end up writing on after you abandoned the Granuaile and Cleopatra paper?

10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

British fairy lore in Shakespeare, if I recall correctly.

11. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

His model also reminds me of ET the Extraterrestrial. Gandhi phone hommmmmme!

Zaarin likes this.
  12. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

India is still only nominally a 'single' Civ: my wife and I have several friends from India (she nannied some of their kids for several years) and they have less in common with each other than they have with us! One family is from the Punjab and is Sikh, the other from south of Mumbai and are Pentacostal Christians! Linguistically, culturally, genetically and religiously they are very diverse. . .
    In addition, and in this India is like China, the area has had Civilizations in it for over 3000 years, leading to a lot of temporal diversity as well: even Indian states that covered roughly the same area geographically could be so different in time period, religion, and culture as to be separate civilizations.

Guandao, Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

An Indian classmate of mine once said Indians are only Indian when dealing with non-Indians (he was Punjabi).

Guandao likes this.
  14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

- and the Punjab could in fact be the basis (geographically) for yet another 'separate' Indian Civ: the Sikh: the original Gurus, and Gurdwara-builders: if their Religion, unique People, and religious buildings are already in the game, why not the entire Civ?

15. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

I personally don't get all the Ghandhi hate.

Yes, there is a part of me that would have preferred the devs consolidate the Ghandhi and Chandra concepts into a single Ashoka leader to leave room for Nur Jahan or Akbar or Raja Raja.

However, it must needs be said that VI in particular is catering just as much to modern global powers as it is to historical regional powers. And since India is a modern superpower, I don't think there is anything wrong with including a leader nod toward that end. And frankly Ghandhi is better than any of the other modern options as far as choosing an iconic culture hero.

I mean I agree that he's a bit boring at this point, but as for all the historical snobbery going on here, I find it kind of self-satisfied nitpicking against some standard which VI clearly doesn't hold itself to.

Now, if we are talking VII, sure, by all means aim for encouraging a different design paradigm. But I think the criticism leveled at Ghandhi (and Sumeria, and Kristina, and, and) is really just misplaced disappointment in the fundamental concept of VI and how thoroughly indifferent it is to pedantry and propriety. I don't see it going anywhere productive if it's not trying (for the most part) to work within the fundamentals of what has already been decided and developed.

16. Patine

Patine Deity

Well, now that you've brought out terms like, " historical snobbery," "self-satisfied nitpicking," and "thoroughly indifferent it is to pedantry and propriety," I think you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot and thoroughly sabotaged yourself in any historical arguments going forward, which you have rested a lot of your past statements, and you know is a strong focus of many others arguing here. And I don't think gained much, if anything, by this "stick it to you" commentary. Of course, your view is only a microcosm of one the biggest problems, on all levels in all areas, that is among the most destructive forces in the world recently - the "feelings" should override rational thought and education at all junctures of conflict - a line of thought that is one of the biggest to the death spiral of CIVILIZATION (in a RW sense) into a new dark age that we are seeing unfolding before us today.

Jkchart, 679x, Guandao and 1 other person like this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Series regulars yet to be seen:
    Babylon (the only Civ I civ yet to make an appearance)
    Byzantines (since Civ III)
    Maya (since Civ III)
    Portugal (since Civ III)

Some others I'm hoping for
    Kingdom of Italy (Garibaldi)
    Madagascar (Ranavalona I)
    Vietnam (Trung sister(s))
    (Gran) Colombia (Bolivar)

Alt-Leader: Egypt (a Pharaoh. Just any Pharaoh. Male or female. Pick one)

These two are fairly likely also, as I consider them nearly series regulars:
    Iroquois (Civ III & V)
    Ethiopia (Civ IV & V)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  18. Patine

Patine Deity

Babylon was also in Civ2 and Civ3, actually. I have both of those iterations currently installed in my computer.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yes, it has been in all iterations of Civ except VI so far. My point is that it is the most likely civ of all of them to be included.

Not to mention, Civ VI has just 1 Ancient Era leader and could desperately use some more Ancient Era representation.

Jkchart and Zaarin like this.
  20. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

We have never gotten more than one Ancient Era civ in an expack. And the Maya are generally a much better option than Babylon, given that it spreads out ancient representation instead of obsessively fixating on the levant. Not to mention the fact that Sumeria is a blob civ intended to obviate the need for Sophie's choice between Babylon, Assyria, and Akkadia.

Also, for the umpteenth time, just because things worked in prior games doesn't mean they presumptively work in VI. In particular, a lot of effort has gone into differentiating the art design and musical sound of each civ, not to mention the political personality and mechanical identity. As a matter of game development, any requested civs which are already extremely culturally similar to any existing civs are at an extreme disadvantage, because the devs would have to spend additional time trying to account for--in Babylon's case--the similarities and overlaps in game feel it might share with Sumeria. This problem does not exist if they just pick an unrepresented region of the map, which they could easily do for all eight civs if they wanted to. So this presumption that the devs will elect to create additional work for themselves simply for "tradition's sake" is an extremely weak and undernuanced argument.

Yes, they could still choose undertake that burden (which would also be at the cost of adding one less civ from another region, overall reducing roster diversity and diluting the globalist themes of VI). But given that they have already expressly prioritized Sumeria, I don't think "well, it's Babylon" carries much water. If Babylon were that important to VI's thesis, we would have Babylon in the base game and not Sumeria. I don't see it happening.

Also, we have two ancient era civs. We have Phoenicia. Which actually makes the only two ancient civs at the moment crammed into the same region. We don't need a third ancient civ gumming up the levant.