1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lain, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Wrathful

Wrathful Chieftain

Maybe we just need to roll harder maps!

Got a few good ones here. Kublai is the leader for all of them. I did handpick the opponents, for extra challenge.

Map scripts are all Fractal, cold climate.

Spoiler Map 1: HOF-Worthy :

HOF-Worthy Kublai.png

Not exactly a hard map. :lol:
    There are even more goodies awaiting after you settle on the stone.

Spoiler Map 2: A Good Challenge :

A Good Challenge.png
    This one looked pretty tough but fair. Would be interesting to see on video.

Spoiler Super Spoilery Hint :
    The Aggressive trait might be pretty helpful here...

Spoiler Map 3: Kublai's Nightmare :

Kublai's Nightmare.png
    This map looked absolutely horrendous. One of the worst maps I've ever rolled. I will be very impressed if anyone could pull off a win here.

I used BUFFY for all the maps this time. Hope I don't have an out of date version of the mod or anything.

Attached Files:

krikav likes this.
  2. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Will try to get something going next friday, exams end next week and then I'm free again ;). Should put together a map vote of some kind then.

Thanks for map suggestions and feedback, happy to play more soon!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I think that we could add NC201 to the list of tough maps, at least on deity.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nobles-club-201-alexander-of-greece.639246/
    It shouldn't really be tough, since you start with pigs, corn and gold with a phi-leader, but it's one of these games where you have to balance alot of things simultaniously. And I personally have not managed to strike the right balance even though I played it 2-3 times up to about ~T120.
    It's a continents map, and I don't know the situation on the other continents either so can't say anything of the challenges we would face from them.
    The only one who has posted a victory so far is a deity player who took a shot at the map on nobles difficulty.

Fish Man likes this.
  4. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

What about NC200?

Spoiler :

Semi-iso with Pacal doesn't seem too bad - aaaand he has 15FP and 7 fur, OK I can deal...wait is that Justinian and Darius peacevassaling Mansa, with 15 cities each???

Or NC202? Actually scratch that...every NC as of late has been painful in one way or another. Maybe I should rethink the Augustus start that I was about to post...

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

For me at least, NC201 have been the most difficult one recently. :)

6. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

Really?

Spoiler :

I feel like it's an easier version of the recent Pericles map though...you're basically in the same situation except with a Mehmed instead of a Genghis, and there's an extra Shaka (which you can use as a weapon if the stars align). Unlike the Pericles map, you have multiple golds, rivers, and are agg (which is actually nice when early rushing because 1-chop barracks). What's not to love?

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

T30-T50 spoilery about NC201
    Spoiler :

Well... The pericles map you just have to stomp Genghis and then expand on your now rather large island.
    In NC201, you have two AIs to balance. I couldn't get it to work. HA-rush Sullyman and take a few nice cities, that breaks the relative balance between the two AIs and Shaka is allowed to silently expand. Both on the area west of Sullyman and on the island.
    I had a nice attempt going on where I had good luck with HAs, and then recovered economically and where pushing a engineering war toward Shaka. But then I'm found by an AI so far ahead in tech that I just called GG.

It's probably not impossible, perhaps not even that difficult. But these games where you have to balance multiple things simultaniously... I think it's hard to get the right balance and it would be educational to see it in action.

8. Lain

Lain Chieftain

I am kind of spoilered on NC200 already (watched Chris' LP), can certainly include NC201 in the vote though :)

Fish Man, Bibor and krikav like this.
  9. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I am playing this NC201 map and in my playthrough it is very easy. I got away with 2 wonders which are very good if you need to delay Astro because of challenge condition. And a certain warmonger attacked my neighbour. Got CS in BCs and max bpt over 250 without building research. The rest of the world is not fast with research if you look at wonders built. Even got a religion for befriending. As expected from such a good start. But if those two guys somehow team up against you, it is a hard game, like any other if you get dogpiled early. I will post the save for krikav, but it seems as a very straightforward map for now. I would only say that HA rush when you have very good cities seems like a mistake. You should rather develop your cities, let your neighbour develop more, and then take those cities. HA rush is slowing the economy too much, which is not that problematic with gold and tech trades on pangea, but here it is all about you.

Fish Man, Fippy and krikav like this.
  10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Yes, I suspect that my troubles are a result of me trying too hard to force things, instead of going with the flow.

11. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Yep i was wondering, strong (gold too) start with a PHI leader..
    perfect for Cuirs and taking them out easily later.

Should i be honest?
    I have not seen a hard NC map here yet,
    at least not compared to maps like cookbook #2.

12. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Kublai's :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Attached Files:

Wrathful likes this.
  13. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

Oh, you are really asking for it with those words ;).

In all seriousness, is the general difficulty of the past few NCs alright for everyone? Do people want me to make it more or less hard, or stay the same?

14. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

:)

I copied (loaded from their page & saved new) the probably tuffest gotm deity game they ever released.
    There was another with Justi years ago, not sure how they compare.

Cathy start on a small map:
    Spoiler :
    Being from an official gotm game, you have locked modified assets and Buffy.

Attached Files:

15. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

I think it's worth noting that it's an Oasis map script, which doesn't guarantee food in the initial BFC. Just something to keep in mind on T0 ;)

Fish Man likes this.
  16. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

Wow that looks pretty nasty e_e.

I think I've rolled worse, though. Not sure if I still have the save but once I rolled a Surry isolated start on deity...with 7 land tiles to work with. SEVEN. Forget astro, you probably won't even reach optics by 500-600AD with that amount of land you're given.

17. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

Out of curiosity, on what scale of difficulty does my second Charly map rate?

I've no problem with them being a bit more evi-eh, I mean, hard. Rest assured that I'm learning so much from them :devil:.

Fish Man likes this.
  18. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I like challenges, but there are plenty of those in this thread among others, as long as the NC maps aren't confidence-crushing on noble difficulty I'm happy.
    Very hard to strike a balance between something that is challenging on higher difficulty, and also at the same time conductive to learning on lower difficulty.
    Keep true to your style, I like it alot.

19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

20. Wrathful

Wrathful Chieftain

Thanks for playing!
    Spoiler :

I think the biggest hurdle in this map is commerce. I just don't see how you can generate enough raw commerce to reach Optics in a reasonable time frame. Skipping Agriculture certainly helped of course. But you have already cottaged all the river tiles (except for that delicious tundra river).

The map is pretty forgiving in other aspects. Barbs aren't a big problem because the island is small and we can get chariots easily. We have plenty of food for GP generation. Kublai is actually a pretty good leader for this map: CRE + good starting techs. Uniques aren't very helpful though.

But there are other problems too; we don't have very many resources, so there's not much to trade when Astro comes. And you never know what can happen on the other continent(s).

No happiness resources either. No guarantee we have iron...

Also, it won't be easy to get out an army and galleons to ship the army if we only have 4 good cities to whip from!

Spoilers for the Catherine map
    Spoiler :

I settled 1E. Figured we had to get some kind of food in the capital. Found grassland deer to the south. Actually, this is a pretty good capital. Decent food, forests, and a river. Can't peek in the worldbuilder though, so who knows what this map has in store for the player.

On Noble's Club Difficulty
    Spoiler :

I don't think the Noble's Club maps should be too hard. They are intended for Noble players after all. I'm sure there are beginning players out there who download and play the Noble's Club games, even if they don't post. Like krikav said, there are plenty of tough maps in this thread for experts to try out.