1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lain, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Cathrine map T50 spoilers
    Spoiler :

I just built a bunch of warriors and scouted abit, and teched bw, ah, iw to check the strategic resource situation.
    I see nothing so far that makes me think this is the worst map ever.

Is there something with the map script that has given some distant AI a ridiculus start? Else I can't really figure out why this would be insane. :)

3. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Well it's not the worst map ever ;)
    But i really had to focus, usually i stop gotm maps cos they are too easy or otherwise not my style, this one kept me interested.
    Think nobody else won this map (for gotm), also very rare, so it's certainly upper difficulty overall.

krikav likes this.
  4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I see.
    The latest gotm is also set on deity! I blundered the game away (I wish I had focused more!).
    Have you given it a try?

5. Lain

Lain Chieftain

I'll save tough Catherine and Kublai maps for later, too rusty right now. Map vote is up though :)

krikav likes this.
  6. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

You accidentally set the Zara (and in turn the Sully map) to Epic speed :).

7. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Meh :(. Any way to change that now?

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Very glad to see the Brennus game in the poll, I'm currently playing that map and having fun with it.

I think it's possible to convert the speed of games, but it requires that you open up the worldbuilder and save it as a WB-file, and then edit the file (I don't know what you need to change), then you start it as a scenario.
    So, doable but bothersome. :)

9. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Well, then lets hope that one of the Normal speed ones win :D

10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Worth mentioning with the NC201 game, is that map creator @Undefeatable added a "challenge condition".

Narrative:
    "I'm not a warmonger!", insists Alexander. "I swear! In fact, I'm better at teching and peaceful expansion than any other guy or gal in the game!"
    And to prove it, he'll win via a science victory, and he'll do it faster than almost anyone's ever done it before!

Challenge Condition:
    Launching a spaceship...WITH NO SURVIVORS! (Kudos if you got that reference.)
    As Alexander, on any difficulty you desire, and taking full advantage of his traits, achieve a space race victory in under 250 turns. However - you also need to completely kill everyone else on your continent, with no exceptions, before any other civ from another continent meets them. You're gonna need all the land you'll get with this tight of a deadline. And besides, after all, we wouldn't want to leave any evidence of our crimes behind, would we? Nope, we're completely peaceful people - what do you mean our city names are un-Greek? That's preposterous; we wouldn't harm a fly!
    (Keep in mind that expansion and warring is significantly easier on the lower difficulties but tech trading and letting AIs do the heavy lifting/settling for you is an advantage of higher difficulties. On noble you're not likely to get any trades if you rush all your neighbors and become too strong early on. Choose your level carefully!)

11. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Well you would need that challenge condi,
    cos it's an easy map as Shakabrade pointed out so well. I have no idea why you promoted this one, krikav..

krikav likes this.
  12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

The map frustrated me quite abit, I remembered it as being impossible. :)

13. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

I've done the speed change thing with the Sally map I posted a while back: Open WB, save the map as a WB save, open that save through Custom Scenario, select the right civ/speed/difficulty, then open WB again once the map loads to re-add the Deity starting techs to the barbs (Agri/Wheel/Hunting/Archery).

Unfortunately it'd be really hard to avoid getting spoiled on who's in the game and the map layout, unless someone else did the process for you :undecide:. Thankfully you can make a regular save after jumping through all those hoops, and assuming you chose the same leader/difficulty the game will run mostly fine. The turn count for a Time victory will be stuck on whatever speed the map was originally generated on (you can actually see that if you look at the Sally playthrough), but that shouldn't matter. It certainly didn't on the Sally map. There also could be other issues if you chose a different leader or difficulty level, but key word, "if".

14. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Sully map taking a solid lead.
    Why on earth do people want to see this? :)

Sully start screenshot:
    Spoiler :

sullystart.jpg

15. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Yep, this is the problem with these votes - many people like to see extremely easy games for some reason.

krikav likes this.
  16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I sat the Darius game out. No educational value what so ever, game won T0.
    But oh well... Playing for the crowd, the crowd must have it's say I guess.

17. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

YT audience and Civ Fanatics are probably very different.. ;)
    No idea if Lain enjoys very rich starts from time to time.

18. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Might be ok after a long break, can try to play quicker too :). Majority of games will still remain difficult. And who knows, maybe there is Shaka 10 tiles away and suddenly it's not a free win.

Fish Man, krikav and sampsa like this.
  19. Wrathful

Wrathful Chieftain

My two cents and random thoughts:

It can be fun and educational to play rich starts. Maps like the Suleiman one have so many resources that it can be hard for less experienced players - like myself - to figure out what matters most. I remember playing a game with Hatchet that had an extremely rich start, but I was getting frustrated because I didn't know how to optimize everything. (Also, there were so many flood plains that my capital grew into unhealthiness at size 3). The Suleiman map is so rich that it would be tough for some players to decide what's most important. Chopping? Seafood? Ivory? Flood plain cottages? Gold? What should the tech order be? The veterans can probably answer these questions easily, but others might have a hard time.

Think of it this way: AbsoluteZero used to play relatively easy starts all the time, and many players would attribute their knowledge of the game to him. I've read numerous posts that go something like this: "I used to be a Warlord/Noble/Prince player, then I started watching AZ's videos and jumped up to Immortal." The very first Civ 4 Let's Play I ever watched was AZ's triple gold Pericles game. I learned a lot from it, even though it was a great start.

Besides, there's no way to know how hard a map is until it's been played. That's one of the great things about this game - no map is won on Turn 0. Consider the infamous Wang Kon "Prepare to DIE" game. The start is actually pretty nice (river, corn, and ivory). It's the AI setup and map shape that makes the map hard. Granted, the start isn't as good as the Suleiman start, but the point still stands. If we judge the difficulty of maps based on the starting screen alone, we might conclude that the Wang map is actually pretty easy.

Most of the games Lain has played on his channel are of average-to-hard difficulty IMO, and recently he's played several very hard maps (Mansa, Pacal, Sury, and Pericles, to name a few). There's nothing wrong with easy starts every now and then. Sure, it would get boring to see easy maps over and over again, but it would also get boring (for me at least) to see "extremely hard, only the best can beat it" maps repeatedly.

Variety is essential. I personally voted for the Lincoln map for this reason. We've never seen any random personality games on the channel. Suleiman would be a good choice too - not sure if we've ever seen No Tech Trading (and if we have, it's only been once or twice). And we certainly don't see very many rich starts.

Fish Man and krikav like this.
  20. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

No Tech Trading was done before once, on the Fantasy Realm Hatty map IIRC.

Wrathful likes this.