1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lain, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Also... "How much beaver do you really need." :mischief:

unas876 likes this.
  2. jatamixx

jatamixx Chieftain

Forget where to find it but your desert map was won by someone :crazyeye:

3. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Spoiler :

Don't think I could replicate it so easily though, Mansa taking over the world for me like that.

4. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

@Lain

Spoiler :
    Looks like Mansa did a better job serving his master than Shaka did in your "Lets Play Civ 4 Deity 35 (Mansa)":D
    But whats that, do i see nukes:eek:. Nuked to death by Mansa Musa, guess no UN vote to ban nukes this game:devil:. I always wonder, if you have a vassal that is so big, what do you do when he goes for culture or space.

I once had the problem with willem, he would have won culture as a vassal and i had to demand stuff till he broke free and raze his culure city just to vassal him again. Was kind of silly.

At this point i want to thank you once again for your YT content, even though you don t have too many subscribers, i really appreciate that you deliver content for the small circle of Civ 4 enthusiasts. And i think i speak for a lot of people here on the forum, that are also grateful and enjoy your content.

Really cool stuff, i especially liked your K-Mod game, Lincoln ( game 17, vs the juggernaut julius caesar) and Wang Kon (game 27 vs juggernaut mansa). The Wang Kon game had such a nice ending (the amphibious war elephant vs the lone barb warrior at turn 274 was pure gold:lol:)

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I don't even... :eek::bowdown::wow::faint:

The rest of the map probably looked normal, doubt I did anything about that, but getting off an isolated island like that must have been brutal. From what I recall, just about everything was plains and desert.

6. mighty gandhi

mighty gandhi Chieftain

Could you please link this game? Seems quite fun but I cannot find it on your channel

7. Lain

Lain Chieftain

There is no recording unfortunately, that was long before the YT channel began I think

8. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Alex map might be too easy for the Mighty Lain, judging only from the start.
    Double grains, AGG for barbs, PHI trait? Random Events, bah!
    Spoiler :
    Though losing to the archer event would be an epic way to fail :cringe: Knock on wood.

Izzy map has potential, depending on what type rolls and who the extra players are. The climate seemed to be not too goofy and double corn PH is generous.

Not much experience with No Brokering but I suppose it limits trading (seems like it would harm bribes quite a bit for backwards targets), just not as much as NTT? And the AI is subject to it too? Not sure what to think of the AC game, I mean, he can chop quickly even with the....one sheep.

Kinda wanna see what he can do with Chuck though, that's my vote. My last game with him blew up in my face, let's see a master handle it!

9. Lain

Lain Chieftain

The Alex map :)

Attached Files:

Pangaea, krikav and Olafeson like this.
  10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thought it was posted in the isolation thread. Took a while to find it, but here it is.Click on the "arrow up" to go to the actual post, where the savegames are located.

11. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks for the game!
    I might shadow, but then I'll do it with no events. I get my fair share (more than) of events by the BOTM games. :)
    Attached a save w/o events in case there are others who also want to roll like this.

Attached Files:

12. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@Lain: Small note on the probably copy-pasted video description - it says "no events".

How you managed to end up with Epic on at least one map. You scrolled with the mousewheel when going through the options, and the pointer happened to end up over the game speed. Frustratingly, the game then changes the options in the drop-down box. Happens from time to time with me too, though by now I try to be aware of it and hover the mouse pointer well away from the actual dropdown lists when scrolling through the list of options when setting up the game (if that makes sense).

13. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I looked at those few seconds at least 3 times. The game really applied some crazy "sleight of hand" skill to change the speed to epic. :)

14. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

Hmm...was hoping that the five maps I pulled would be enough to fill the next map vote, assuming Lain was feeling a hard map and all of that, but with this game being an Alex map and two of the hard(er) maps being Alex as well...heh :undecide:. Guess I'll start rolling some new maps :).

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

The Alex map I posted have been up in a previous vote. It didn't catch much attention though. It's a shame with Alex on a pangea, something I would really want to see is phi+agg naval grenadiers. :) MilSci being bulbable and all that.
    I'm shadowing this Alex map now, and it's a quite nice map to play.

I think Lain really likes rolling random maps, and there is a certain charm in knowing that the map is not chosen by someone, but rather completely random.
    When he is playing a map someone of us has posted, there is often the comment "Oh, I met Shaka on turn 5, ofcourse!"

16. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

I do see that point, but randomly rolled maps can rarely provide any sort of challenge unless Lain happens to roll the 1:10000 or something chance that a map is properly hard. And a game that you know is basically won on T0, barring the RNG getting stuck on "death to all players", isn't as interesting to watch. Albeit, probably also less annoying to play :rolleyes:.

I'll still roll some maps, but we'll see if they end up being played or not. Can't hurt to have the option, I think :).

krikav likes this.
  17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Do roll and provide maps!
    I enjoy getting squashed by them and have made at least a quick trial run of each map in this thread so far. :)

18. mighty gandhi

mighty gandhi Chieftain

gandhistart.jpg This map I think it's quite hard, maybe not for Lain who knows.
    Fractal, all the rest standard, no huts no events. BUG+BULL

Attached Files:

19. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

You have floodplains double gold, a very good leader, lots of forests. This looks much more like a HoF game than anything else. If someone struggles with deity difficulty, this map would be his best bet for his first win.

Looks like a very nice map to me :D. Going to download it and see why you consider it as hard.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    krikav likes this.
  20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@mighty gandhi Yes, my thoughts echo those of @Olafeson
    Just judging from the starting screen, this looks just awesome. :)

Ofcourse, there might be other suprises in the map that make it more difficult.