Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Spoiler T146 :

Sometime right after BW I whip one worker and chop another, up to 4 total, and I think that is where I stayed, or perhaps I got one more later.
Once there are 5 cottages in capital, a new city is settled to utilize the sheep. I orphan that clam but I want to reach all wines.
@BW
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

@Writing
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

@Monarchy, I shut down the slider for ages here. I build an academy and want to grow the capital but with a lone sheep it's not easy. Southern helper gets to hold all plains-cottages. Trying to work all cottages all the time.
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Calculating that I'll get my third GSci around T144 (turns out i was wrong, I had to juggle abit to enable horse-city to finish it's GSci first, as that city was less well equipped for the third GSci marathon.
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Now I thought capital was big enough and the cash store large enough, but I had to go 0% for some more turns later on, during those 0% turns the capital takes the sheep and lends away the plains cottages and instead work two scientists.
I'm building monuments in Bejin, Nanjin and Shanghai, partly because I don't have much else to build, but I also have an idea of a culture victory as fallback. Feels like there is nice synergy with the UB and with massive cottagespam.
With abit of luck, I get alot of different religions spread after astro.
Main plan is to work some action with drafted rifles.

I think that I made a mistake of settling Chengdu, don't think it contributed enough before the optics bottleneck, and that might have costed me alot of trades later on.... >_<
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Capital is nice.
Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

I screwed up and finished optics with massive overflow (put that into math) and trades where bad. I did get some stuff from optics though from Monty, Gilga and SB.
West and East doesn't know each other, and there seem to be some unclaimed land in the north. I have a few settlers that I planned to settle onshore but might whip a galley for them instead.
Have to see what trades are available and analyze diplo situation and make a plan now.
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

I like this Mao map alot better. :)

Spoiler T186 :

I had to cash in on astronomy pretty much right away, to get my hands on currency and toward CS.
Had some nice brokering going on, getting guilds from gilgamesh, then trading that for philo with SB then having philo to trade to monty+gilgamesh.
I was hoping for Buddhism spread, as I had sighted Monty as my first target, I also traded Feud to Rosey getting severe diplo hits with Gilga/Monty, but I felt I had too as he was defending against never ending Montystacks on a hilled city.

Grown cities to ridiculus sizes and claimed some overseas territory while teching toward rifling.
I was very unlucky with religion autospread, only got an annoying minority religion, it was only T181 that I finally got one of the two major religions.
GPgeneration I have ignored because I wanted pacifism for that, but in hindsight I should really have dedicated one city to getting at least one GPersons so I could run a GA now soon.

Could revolt and start drafting, but that would be w/o theocracy and the only target I could have success with is Rosey. SB is also a thinkable candidate but both these guys are so far away. >_<
Diplo is somewhat under wraps, I begged from the Buddhist before becomming a Hindu, abit worried that Gilga would start plot against me though.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

They are teching fast. Probably abit my fault as I gave them Astro away so early, those observatories and overseas traderoutes have probably boosted them.
Didn't get much of the essential techs in trades, have self-teched PP, RP and rifling, got nationalism, edu/eco/lib/scimeth in trades though.
Starting to think that I should delay any attack so I can hit with rifles+cannons, that would likely make it possible to strike someone stronger first.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

@Lain I saw you go for the Confu religion. (I disabled choose religions btw, can't stand that confusion.).
Thats something I usually don't like doing as it makes me a heathen in everyones eyes and it makes diplo difficult.

But in my game now, I held out for religion autospread and never seemed to get it. Now I think my position is worse because of it.
Excited to see part3 from you! :)

Spoiler T278 :

Well... I just got my first vassal, but things are not looking that great.

The entire game has been one of cat and mouse. I try to catch up and get enough of an edge but at every turn they slip away from me.
I was just about to get at Augustus but then he and Hammy formed a defensive pact... Tried to piggyback against Rosey and bribed Monty/Gilga away from him only to have them redeclare 1-2 turns later. Boosting them significantly in the process.

Hammy Hates me and I'm getting to a point where it can't be helped even if I go into free religion and burocracy, and soon I'll have a bunch of spaceships to hunt down too on opposite ends of the world. And everyone with inland capitals too.
At least it doesn't look like there is any risk of someone going culture anytime soon.

I'm horribly inexperienced at this stage of warfare too, so proportions of my stacks are constantly off with too little and too much of alot of units.
Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG

GAs went really smooth, but late. Gained about 5000GPpoints between T200 and T207, enough to get 3 Gpersons out and fill up the bars so I got 3-5 merchants later on.

Spoiler T299 Loss :

SB had bribed Rosey on me, so finished Rosey first. He was willing to capitulate before I took any cities, but I wanted his capital, it was loaded with 5 settled great generals. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

Had very nice T0 Access to August, so attacked there, then I picked of cities along the coast untill he capitulated.
Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

The turn August is willing to capitulate, Hammy launches his spaceship.
This is very bad news as his capital isn't coastal. Coastal capitals are so much easier to snipe down. I need nukes to have any chance of getting at this one.
Had SB go for fision when I got him, but the traitor revolted back to Buddhism (shouldn't have asked him to be a hindu..>_< ) and lost me a valuable turn.
When he finally gets to fission he have gotten medicine already and I have to pay him refrigeration+2000g for fission, submarines are ready and the rest of the army too, allthough it's probably too meager to d o much I figured it could buy me time.
Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

That was close, could perhaps have gotten that by playing better!
As I have to get Hammys capital next turn, I load up the two only tactical nukes I managed to get in time in Guangzhou and move my fleet toward Dur-Kur.
Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

When I saw this notification, I was pretty sure that it was GG, but made a last grasp anyway.
Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG

This one fell pretty easily, although it took some Marine blood (The first waves get 17% odds). Bombard to 0%, strike with alot of fighters and then attack with marines.
Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG

Now the submarine moves in and launches it's nukes. 7 bombers are also ready to strike from SittingBulls cities.
After the mushroom cloud, paratroopers are going to jump in and burn Babylon to the ground.
Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG

Both fizzle down by SDI.
And thats that.
With only 15 troopers I probably needed both to hit really.
Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

GG Hammy! Well played keeping you continent in your religious block, lucking out not spreading Buddhism to me, and signing defensive pacts when I needed it the least. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

Best of luck to @Lain in your attempt!
And thanks to @Fippy for a nice lovely iso map. :)

That's so rough krikav. lololol at him finishing SDI on the last turn. I think you have it though, no shame in going back a few turns and fixing some issues. The trade falling through and having to pay 2000g is disgusting.
But you might have had some options, speculating here ofc because I don't know specifics. What peace deal did you make with Rome? Looks like he's willing to give you Fission. Fission & gold more valuable than capitulation at this point with game on line.
Your spies do anything?
I've had end games like this where the answer to get an extra turn or two is to go all in on gold and rush buy a couple of ICBMs at the last second. Saves time having to load up and ferry the missiles over. I'd expect to see at least one of these on the last turn from swapping every city to wealth + ICBMs.
Perhaps even declaring war a few turns earlier on him would be helpful. You have a decent navy, and China should react by pushing troops to the land borders with your vassals.

@drewisfat
Spoiler :

Oh, I'm quite sure that it's possible to squeeze out a win if one does some of these things!
Even going for nukes was abit of a hindsight move, could probably have gone there much earlier too. I self-teched refrigeration for the comfort of faster moving ships for example. :)

I'm slowly learning to be more patient and being more comfortable with endgame play. You might not know it, but your writeup in the "Ultimate evil cooked map" with Wang kon was what made me even try out nukes in the first place! Thanks for that writeup. ;)

And I'm no stranger to reloading and trying out a bunch of different paths. But it's also abit tedious. :)
And even if I manage to fix the issues with Hammy here, then I might stumble into stopping first Gilgmesh spaceship while holding of Hammy who I didn't manage to finish of.. And soon after that Monty goes culture or something.

I hand it to Hammy this one and move on!
If anything, I'll would want to replay the path up toward rifling and see if it's possible to streamline a few things. I'm incredibly annoyed that I neglected getting out a GPerson to run a GA when I needed it, I had to do at least two 2-turn revolts up toward T200.
The production of the island is pretty weak, but commerce is good, and PRO lends itself to some drafting, and landing a few trebs and drafted rifles much sooner than I was ready to do it, I think would have been quite strong here.

@Lain : do you have a starting save of the Hannibal map you played semi-recently, game 48? IIRC you rushed Cathy with archer/elepult with that one, if it helps jog the memory.

My take on Gandhi map (t60) :
Spoiler :
Lots of food, lack of commerce. Delayed Bronze Working. Went Agri, AH, Wheel, Pottery (!), Bronze. Soon can research Writing.
Settled 3 cities. Developped Cottages. Grew to cap, started on 2 settlers.

Spoiler :

PHI bulbs or Horse Archer action are possible follow-ups. Have a 7xp woodsman in the north-west that protected against desert barbs.
Hatshepsut shrined Hindu before 2000 BC, which is kinda funny.

t84 :
Spoiler :
Well, I don't know, this Delhi place seems pretty good.

Waited on 4 libraries to up research.
HBR is in. They all have Alpha. Elizabeth has Maths and Calendar. Joao has Maths and Currency.
Can trade HBR+25g with Joao, then HBR+Maths with Hatshepsut.
Got the whole scout on Elizabeth who lacks metal. She shrined Buddhism.
Got 2 happy trades with Hatshepsut. 5 workers.

Follow-up :
That poor woman.
Spoiler :

Peace deal t103 for all her techs, after the capture of those 3 cities. 4 Horse Archers died in the "war".

Last edited:
Back days when i was going HoF diplo i generated this :)

Large/Staqndard/Deity Boreal

Spoiler :

Now iam so sad that i didnt add starting save to my post :cry:.
Becouse last days iam watching some of your vids and i have a lot of fun. GJ Lain :thumbsup:

I checked and couldn't find it anywhere yet. Might be gone :(

Oh no :(

If you don't have the t0 save do you at least have ANY subsequent saves of the same map? If so you can save as a WB save and post it and I'll just reverse-engineer the t0 positions from the map itself.

The real reason I want the save is that I made a bet with someone about whether I could win a pre-1400AD space victory on noble, standard speed, without huts, events, or financial. My bright idea is to play as Catherine from her starting location on that map, to cruise my way to 1AD communism or something with double gems. I've done this with Mansa so I know it's physically possible, at least (without even a BFC mining luxury), but the lack of such a strong trait and starting tech combo should make for an interesting challenge.

Make sure to add Mehmed, not AGG though, but isn't he one of the worst unit spammer? Or you play as Mehmed himself!

Bismarck is one that I have been fooled by more than once. Don't know why but I have gotten the idea that that nice guy with his moustaches doesn't plot at pleased... But he does.
Mansa and WvO too, filthy backstabbing dogs! :D

Bismarck is one that I have been fooled by more than once. Don't know why but I have gotten the idea that that nice guy with his moustaches doesn't plot at pleased... But he does.

From all what I know about history, Germany would not be what it is today if Bismarck had always committed to good relations and peace treaties. So Civ 4 apparently tells the truth here. :cool:

I consider AIs like Sury more dangerous (and annoying).

I concur, I'd add Catherine as the leader who made me sweat the most. I hate being too close to her.

Top Bottom