Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Not sure when and what you planned about your next playthrough, but in case there is a map vote again or whatever, I got this map which I think would make for a good game with its own set of challenges.

Leader is Lincoln, which I guess most people like a lot.

The start:

Spoiler :

The settings:

Spoiler :

Spoiler about isolation or not, not sure if you wanna look at it:

Spoiler :
Not isolated.

Attachments

• Linkin BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.6 KB · Views: 166
Leader is Lincoln, which I guess most people like a lot.

Hoarding all the stuffz,
1000 BC: Does this look like it could work or is this really obsolete ? Maybe I'll build a settler at some point, maybe I won't :
Spoiler :

Stonehenge : 2880 BC
Great Wall : 2520 BC --> 2nd worker
Pyramids : 1760 BC
Temple of Artemis : 1280 BC --> Slavery + Representation revolt
Oracle : 1000 BC --> bulb Aesthetics, go Library.

Last edited:
7/10
obsolete would've saved the forests for preserves and national park.

@Rusten
???? i do not understand. Saving the forests for national park? You serious about that?

And i thought a 1 city challenge is smth. that only worked in civ 3?

I am confused. You really plan on winning a deity game like that? Going for culture win? 2 more settlers or only troll? Like teemo support?:lol:

How did you get Henge? No mysticism, no mining, no commerce tiles, except coast?
Did you go Mystic -> Masonry and started henge at mysticism?

Last edited:
Rusten is kidding :) Many players, including obsolete, play OCC without chopping because they think the super late National Park makes up for it all. (They're just wrong, it's awful and compares very poorly against chops + cottages.)

Spoiler :
The 1000 BC position I showed above actually has pretty good chances of winning the game. Building the Temple of Artemis is huge and the biggest uncertainty with such an opening. The Great Wall and the Oracle are just gadgets. SH, Pyramids and ToA combo make the deal.
Most likely route to be followed is : Rifling --> Infantries. Kill 'em all. Settle all hammer Great People. Build both Epics in capital. Pump 1 highly promoted unit per turn.
I wouldn't mind waging some defensive war(s) from this point on, to start accumulating some Great Generals and unlock the HE.
Yes, it's a long term plan. That's why the strategy is obsolete... People seek earlier ways to victory nowadays.

I don't remember whether I went Myst --> Mas or Myst --> Min --> Mas. Stonehenge is started at size one, right after the worker.
I tried both tech paths and they compare very evenly (@ wonder dates). Stonehenge t30, Great Wall t37.
I didn't work any coast tiles. It's hard for me to think of a situation where working coast would be right. Early on, production is what you want. Sacrificing produciton for some extra commerce is wrong. What you wanna do, instead, is adjust your build items to your tech pace.

I'll probably build a settler or two when the capital can rest a little. Claiming health would be good.

:)

@BornInCantaloup

This is OCC? Lucky you, if so ;) Have you played further?

@Lain

Welcome back, was waiting for another series! You may not believe it, but if I remember correctly, the only thing I changed on this map was Iron -> Stone in capital BFC. Not sure if that will benefit you in the long term.

(Spoiler for anyone that hasn't watched the video yet)
Spoiler :
One could argue that not having Stone and not going for Mids/GW would have made it possible for you to at least get the Wheat and Cow that Bismarck got instead and you really don't have much else now.

The rest is totally random, apart from handpicked AI.

As a sidenote, I always think that maps you take from this topic are superior for LPs than randomly rolled ones because decently experienced players that keep up with your videos can check whether a map would make for an interesting and/or challenging game. Random rolls may lead to multiple games in a row that play out similarly (eg you probably don't wanna play maps where you have to HA rush three times in a row or you randomly get the same neighbours or whatever). But those are minor risks and I can also see that it would be more authentic to just play random rolls like most other people.

Anyways, looking forward to the rest of the series and... well let's say I'll be impressed if you manage to win :D

Saw your question about why Jaguars ;)
..and ran some medic tests.

Picked a high strength unit with Cav.
Without any healers, it's going from 2.3 to 4.5 in 1t
Spoiler :

Adding a woodie III Jag, it's 6.8
Spoiler :
Medic III gives 8.3, stronger
Spoiler :
What if we add both?
Spoiler :
Still 8.3, darn :)
What if all promos are on 1 super healer?
Spoiler :
10.5, nice! Jaguars need 26xp for both medic & woodie III, by starting with 2 fitting promos.
So that would be barracks + 3xp + General.

Not sure how practical that is in real games thou, they would then lack movement speed.
Woodie III alone can safely be considered as weak for healing, at only 15%,
medic II already gives 20% and needs the same amount of xp.

Attachments

• 2.3.jpg
    2.3.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 890
  • no healer.jpg
    no healer.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 997
  • wIII.jpg
    wIII.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 969
  • medic III.jpg
    medic III.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 969
  • medic + wIII.jpg
    medic + wIII.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 993
  • all in one.jpg
    all in one.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 915
While we are on the topic of healing, what are the rules on healing and movement? Like, what unit can I move or not to heal (medic or wounded unit)?

Came across this map recently. Average difficulty. Fractal gives fun map shapes ;)

Attachments

• Giggles BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.3 KB · Views: 64
Hey Lain,

I enjoy watching your LP's as I find them more educational than Absolute Zero's. I've recently decided to make the leap to deity and would love to see how you would play it. The forum game I'm running is with Mansa, randomised continents. I know it doesn't fall within your parameters but I have random events and I'm running BAT 4.1 if you do decide to pick up the save.

Spoiler Start: :

Attachments

• Gl0bal1st - Deity - Continents - Mansa - 4000BC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    34.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Deity 001 - Start.JPG
    Deity 001 - Start.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 729
Yeah unfortuantely if you run your games with BAT, other people have to install BAT too to play them. Since i am completely satisfied with Bug&Bull, not going to install another MOD that is very similar. So usually skipping the BAT saves. Never change a running system^^.

Lain, hopefully you pick a tough map (or map script even?) for your next youtube-game. I enjoyed your Shaka game a great deal, but these pangaeaish maps seem way too easy for you. :)

Well, I can definitely agree that it's more thrilling to see "if" you're going to win than "how" you're going to win.

Anyways if you're still looking for isolation maps, I have one here in case you'd like to check it out. I'm no expert but I'd call this one hard. Crushed me in any case :D

Spoiler :

As for the next youtube game, I must say I'm not a huge K-Mod fan. The Wang game though, that sounds like a lot of fun!

Edit: maybe I should have posted this in the other topic :confused:

Attachments

• Zara Connor BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.9 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom