Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Looking forward to the vote after I finish NC 188 with Genghis Khan... which is also quite tough right now.
Seems you are doing pretty all right in that one as well. :)

A little comment based on your videos:
Spoiler :
You were wondering why De Gaulle didn't join the war.

The AI won't automatically bribe each other into war whenever possible. The first couple of turns there's a 50% chance that they decide to bring in some help. If they do pass this test, they pick who to bribe randomly among all AI that can be bribed. After the first 2 turns, the chance that they decide to bribe someone shrinks rapidly. When De Gaulle made peace with Vicky, you had been at war with Sal seven turns. That turn there's only a 3,4% chance that he decides to bribe someone. From ten turns on, it's 2,5% every turn. (The percentages apply to all leaders except Pacal, who apparently is a bit more likely to make war bribes than all other leaders in the game.)

More detailed info on the subject here.

I'm not sure about that one... Somehow it's my impression that they could use monopoly techs for bribes, but I don't know where I would have gotten that impression from.

A few comments about your first video of the Stalin game ^^
Spoiler :

I like your peaceful approach. When I tried the map I axe-rushed Hannibal and failed miserably.

I think getting the fish with the second city was a good move. However it should definitely have been settled 1N : you'll never get the pigs anyways, it's better to avoid border tensions when you can, and settling it 1N only gives 1:yuck: from the jungle.

I would have grown the capital to size 4, getting out another wb (to improve Moscow's clam) before the first settler. The AI almost never goes for jungle-fish cities early. It would have delayed the Axemen a little bit but I think that's fine in this case.

When going for the GLH, mining that FPH was IMO a big waste of worker turns, you could simply have worked it unimproved and chopped the surrounding forests (mining the hill is 8wt = 2 forests chops = 40h*1,5 that's huge !)

Oh and for a long time you left some tiles around the corn in the fog. While you had units 2 tiles away so barbs couldn't spawn, a barb city can pop up on any tile in the fog, not sure if you're aware of that (I just learned that a couple of weeks ago lol)

Land will be quite slow to develop but very good eventually. With the GLH and Hannibal founding judaism you should be in a good position :)

(If you feel like it's too much criticism, just tell me so I just watch in silence :popcorn:, i'm just sharing some thoughts :D)

a barb city can pop up on any tile in the fog
I think it's not any tile, but any tile that would show a blue circle when a nearby settler is selected. But yeah, you are right that normal fogbusting rules don't apply.

Oh, and he's playing my Stalin map? Cool, got to check it out! :)

Yup, map is definitely a challenge. Looks tame enough for now, but I played a bit further and ugh...

@Pedro78

Yeah, I really appreciate the comments, so no problem at all :goodjob:. Yeah, plains mines are usually a waste of worker turns, I agree. Somehow, improving seafood (especially clam/crab) is not such a huge priority for me in my games. Probably wrong in some cases. Bad thing is that the 3x clam can't be shared with another city here (not a big spoiler, it's in the starting screen ^^).

Didn't know that about barb city spawning o.o ... that definitely changes things.

Concerning fishing starts, workboats have an opportunity cost as everything in this game. It's just that when you have a lot of surplus production the opportunity cost is very low, while the gains are fairly high.

Building workboats can be a real drain in some cases, that's why most of the time everyone will advise not to build wbs, but as everything in this game, "it depends" :)

Not sleepy yet, so i did this for fun :)
Spoiler :

Naughty with aggressive.

Attachments

• poor hanni.jpg
    poor hanni.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Axes wuwu.CivBeyondSwordSave
    115.5 KB · Views: 87
merci,i really like Axe rushes ;)
Started practising them when the forum mostly agreed that they are not good on deity, along with aggressive.

It's the temptation of not knowing how you will do, along with so many tact. options that can be used.
One of my favorites is farming for GG points, if a city is too strong guarded :)
Can be done by killing all but 1 defender in small cities, and watching those reinforcements rolling in (no fortify bonus, city with no culture works best) ~~
Then using your general for 20 warlord xp and CR3 Axes, those guys start winning battles more reliable.

Cease fires also play a huge role, i think here i took his first small city instead and then healed + waited for more Axes.
When units start moving out of cities again during "peace", new chances can arise.

I'll add that i would always tech BW first with this start, even for peaceful play.
Like chopping boats much better when starting with mining, and ofc you hopefully get a copper mine.

I'll add that i would always tech BW first with this start
That's interesting. I never thought about that but with a 3F tile available BW before fishing looks like a no-brainer. Now without a 3F tile? I think it's a close call. Anyways thanks for the enlightenment :)

Plains hill start plays a big role why i would, timing works well with BW first.
12t worker rather than 7t fishing and building a warrior, then a mine while waiting for chops.
City is smaller at the beginning, but important builds are completed quicker.
While waiting for fishing, mine + first chop could also be used for starting a settler.
1 workboat & size 2, then completing the settler is imo not worse than more boats first.

Good finish on your game Lain, not watching youtube much but i checked the end :)
UN is totally okay, you cannot fight gunships and so.
I continued my axe rush a bit, was easy after his Cap ofc and then it's just isolation with loads of great land secured..was not in the mood for another Iso game currently.

Well done winning the Stalin map! UN is just as valid as the other victory conditions. :)

I'm happy to see you didn't try to axe rush Hannibal. An early rush on Hannibal, while I wasn't certain if that would be doable or not in this situation, would obviously have settled the game right there. Either you win the rush and have the game in the bag, or lose and it's game over. I was more interested in seeing how you would deal with the cornered jungle start, without going for the risky axe rush. Especially with the big risk of being boxed in early by what would without doubt become a large runaway AI. Apart from the big blunder with settling the Sabrata area, I think you did rather well. :thumbsup:

These look pretty interesting. I don't know if I'll finish either game, but i do enjoy playing openings like this.

The opening to the Stalin game is particularly interesting. Looks like one of those where you start a worker while teching fishing, switch to WB, then maybe switch back to finish the worker for BW and some chops. Sinking hammers into WBs just for clams stinks, but it could work OK with a GLH play. Fishing > BW > Sailing > Masonry? The LH would make the clams decent. I'm not sure how bad that would put you behind the 8-ball in terms of settling though. It's tough to get a settler in before GLH and still be sure you will get it on Deity, especially with the other hammer needs here. I kind of prefer to finish GLH at S6 and immediately whip a settler or whip and use the settler OF to finish GLH. I might give this a shot later.

I would appreciate a few new suggestions. Doctored maps are also fine with me at this point. Give me desert, maybe remove all my resources or something (at least give me Pacal in that case, though ;)). @Pangaea, are you still around? If so, feel free to do your worst :goodjob:.

Apart from that, have there been some really difficult NC maps over the years? If so, any link would be appreciated.

I had a couple fun meetings with Alexander in my latest games.. so I would suggest a game with him. I rolled some starts and ended up with something I think can be a challenge. I have checked the map. So the challenge is to make Alexander Great again!

Guess this map is beatable, so bonus points for speed and style.

The start:

Make Alexander great again.JPG

Loaded a game with no mods so hopefully its playable for everyone.

Settings:
Fractal
Diety
Events ON
Huts OFF

Also added events.. because that's fun..

Attachments

• Make Alexander great again BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Top Bottom