Post -Apocalypse Alt History Brainstorming Thread

This is a great idea, lots of different scenarios you could play out.

Asteroid strike - worldwide reduction in food production for many turns, degradation of terrain quality for food near impact, but improved mining.
Plague killing population in cities across the world spreading city to city on a larger scale than the current event does, and with no option to spend cash to stop it.
Solar Flares/CME destroying all electric improvements on the planet.
Planetwide volcanism such as the Siberian traps volcanism of the distant past.
Alien invasion.
Zombie Apocalypse.
Some sort of pollution based event that changes the atmosphere.

I do think this should definitely be something the player chooses to play with, the idea of having thousands of turns laid to waste is going to turn some off.

Maybe somebody said it before but i think that

Peacemaker
50% chance to trigger postapocaliptic scenario

Like initdave said this su**er is overpowered enough (20 tiles on each side reach)

Maybe somebody said it before but i think that

Peacemaker
50% chance to trigger postapocaliptic scenario

Like initdave said this su**er is overpowered enough (20 tiles on each side reach)

Several problems

1. We don't trigger the PA units like that. It only happens when you don't have appropriate resources to build better units.

2. The TH era is in no way, manner, shape, or form balanced atm unfortunately, so adding this wouldn't help

3. We already have very powerful advanced Nukes in the ANM, and the AI doesn't yet understand MAD, so that should be addressed before we add anything more.

I wanted to revisit this so having Post -Apocalypse stuff in the game will happen. Both through events and by actions (such as your cites got nuked).

Current Post -Apocalypse Units ...

- Crowbar Guard = Police Role
- Machete Warrior = Swordsman Role
- Hatchet Warrior = Axeman Role
- Wrench Warrior = Maceman Role
- Urban Crossbowman = Crossbow Role
- Urban Horseman = Horseman Role
- Molotov Cocktail Thrower = Grenader Role

Yeah i can see events in the desert / tundra that a heavy snow/sand storm whipes out all improvements and routes on tundra/permafrost/ice or Desert/dunes/salt flats. But this is beyond my skills now ;)

I think I have mentioned it before but there has been at least one documented apocalypse that happened around 400AD. Rome fell to barbarians and the equivalent of an apocalypse happened in Britain where trade ceased, the cities could no longer be supported and former city dwellers need to go back to subsistence farmers. Not sure how you would even simulate that in Civ.

I think I have mentioned it before but there has been at least one documented apocalypse that happened around 400AD. Rome fell to barbarians and the equivalent of an apocalypse happened in Britain where trade ceased, the cities could no longer be supported and former city dwellers need to go back to subsistence farmers. Not sure how you would even simulate that in Civ.

Isn't that just cities starving & losing pop?

It may already happen when a backward vassal, which has many advantageous resource trades and other commerce with its more advanced master, loses that master to rev or conquest...

Around 1200 BC the eastern Mediterranian and the Middle East cultures fell in a kind of Apocalypse. All major nations were destroyed, only Egypt survived but was heavily weakend. Sea people and other kind of barbarians devastated the region. Many cities were destroyed forever, others reduced in size and power. Sea trade nearly stopped for centuries. It took some regions a very long time to recover (Greece, Assyria) while others never recovered (Hittites in modern Turkey, Crete). Some people say that the Illias from Homer reflects this period (Troy was also destroyed around this time frame, but in fact it was destroyed many times).

Simulating this in Civ would mean losing 2/3 of your cities, reducing the population in the rest by 50%, losing all foreign trade connections. Maybe even losing some important technologies like Iron Working.

Simulating this in Civ would mean losing 2/3 of your cities, reducing the population in the rest by 50%, losing all foreign trade connections. Maybe even losing some important technologies like Iron Working.

I think you're going for the right idea here. By simply taking out the terrain improvements, destroying large portions of the population and/or changing the terrain itself should be the basis of any post apocalypse scenario(besides zombie or grey goo, for that I think it should just be a large horde of barbarian units that get additional units from attacking cities and converting their population to their ranks) that should be implemented first. However, I am somewhat cautious on making Civs lose techs that they researched. Firstly, tech advancement is integral to the gameplay and turns, and I'm not sure if it's hard or not to implement it(I could be wrong, not much of a programmer).

IIRC loosing techs does not work in Civ. The way the post-apocalypse units are defined lose of resources is enough. Don't know how you would do that in a meaningful way given that workers can quickly rebuild the improvements.

IIRC loosing techs does not work in Civ. The way the post-apocalypse units are defined lose of resources is enough. Don't know how you would do that in a meaningful way given that workers can quickly rebuild the improvements.

What if it gave a city non-buildable building(s) that prevent resource(s) from being access at the city. Much like how the LDS buildings prevent alcohol and drugs.

Couldn't you have a rev that left your original civ not likely to survive eg. one city and a half-dozen units? Thus forcing you to take over a new civ which could be technologically far less advanced?

Even if Rev doesn't do that now (and I've seen basically this happen to AIs - twice in one game in fact - but never to me), the mechanism might be pretty much all there...

What if it gave a city non-buildable building(s) that prevent resource(s) from being access at the city. Much like how the LDS buildings prevent alcohol and drugs.

A snap I just thought the same before I fall asleep yesterday :lol:

Couldn't the later era starts be used to start something like this? I imagine a survival vault building for modern and up, each era having addition buildings for rebuilding society. That would provided a few resources. Other buildings the provide essential resources could exist based on the logical actions people would take. The nature of the disaster probably isn't important.

Top Bottom