Post Short Single Player Tips Here

Thanks for the reply. I was talking about something I read about base anarchy is 2, then add 1-4 for difficulty level, then a modifier for civ size. Dont know where I have read that, but its not in the war academy from what I saw.

Thanks Dianthus. I think that is what I was looking for; I suppose difficulty level affects the OCN so that is where the 0-3 modifier comes from.

Everybody keeps sayin' not to use the governor, but I have found one good use for it. At the governor settings you can set "never build (small) wonders" to yes, so the computer doesn't choose to build a wonder in a city if you did not want it to be built there.
Maybe not mentioned before, but certainly a good hint: go to preferences and make a few changes (according to YOUR preferences of course) -> pressing enter before ending your turn is always a good option.

Though I'm new here, I have played Civ3 & Conquests a lot. It's been a while, but I just started a regent game and am having a jolly good time beating my neighbors to a pulp. I don't think any of these have been mentioned, but I had to sift through 20 pages. I don't remember all the details..

1 - Don't write off a start as bad right off the bat. Or good, for that matter. I have had excellent starting locations, but have had zero strat. resources; I have also had slow starts that happened to have the only iron and saltpeter on the continent!

2 - Resistors are annoying. When I capture a city, I usually make everybody a tax collector for the following reasons:
-the people will be pissed anyway, and the city will be in disorder. You aren't going to produce anything.
-assuming the city is fairly large, any [moderate] pop loss will be recovered shortly after the war due to the increased food surplus (from having less people). so after the war, there's not much to undo to get it back in action.
-you make so much money! handy for boosting research, happiness, or unit upgrades.

It's cold. It's heartless. It's totally my style.

3 - If you have a peninsula near you, cut off all access to it, then ignore it for awhile. (Unless of course you need a resource or something.) The AI won't be able to get to it for a while. Expand towards other civs first, then when they're stuck, you have this nice little piece of land to in habit.

4 - On a related note, if you have an area like a peninsula that no one is going to settle/explore, send some crappy units to look around. You do not want a massive barbarian uprising on your doorstep.

Fuzzz said:
Everybody keeps sayin' not to use the governor, but I have found one good use for it. At the governor settings you can set "never build (small) wonders" to yes, so the computer doesn't choose to build a wonder in a city if you did not want it to be built there.
Maybe not mentioned before, but certainly a good hint: go to preferences and make a few changes (according to YOUR preferences of course) -> pressing enter before ending your turn is always a good option.

with setting to always build previously build unit it won't be problem, moreover - i haven't found any situation when my cities started to build GW or SW.
checking cities every few turns or more often would be better - much better, not only cause of production selection, You can alter worker tiles to the needs - do some MM.

Play at least one game without building a Unique Unit and without entering a Golden Age. This will enable you to hone your playing skills that can be used for any civ. I just did this with the Iriquois and I won my first ever domination victory with them. I'm still playing on Cheiftain, but I don't think Regent is too far off for me.

Don't get locked into a specific civ everytime, play a different(or random) one each time, again to hone your playing skills.

When on GA provided by an unique unit, lets say on ancient for example dont forget to use the GA to prepare your civ to an "higher level" of production, build lots of workers, irrigate, mine and road everything, build granaries and what you think you´ll need for when the GA is over. This way you wont feel much of a difference after that wonderfull 20 turns. In sum, use the GA mainly to improve your productivity, growth, research and income, not just to build up your military.

Life Lesson 467: Don't let 15 barb horsemen march one by one into a city. This does make them go away, and you don't lose the city. But I had to helplessly watch each one take about 35 gold. I went from 800 gold to 275 on one play. This was the vanilla version from c3c.

Spend the money first.........then ignore the 15 barbarians.

They'll be like lemmings off a cliff! You won't even need to build a single military unit! ;)

Bribe everyone and make MPP with others when going to war. Get your border cities heavily fortified (if you are MUCH weaker than the AI you are declaring war).

Problems with submarines.

The big problem with submarines is that civs you are not at war with will "run them over" starting a war. A couple techniques for avoiding the "sub bug" are:

Put subs in a group with surface ships. The sub can still take out enemy transports but won't be attacked by friendly ships.

Ensure every stack of ships has at least 1 destroyer in it to spot neutral subs.

One of the things i have noticed (sorry if this has already been mentioned) is that you can load cruise missiles into transports. What you do is move the cruise missile to the coastline (Adjacent to water). Then move a transport next to the cruise missile but still on water. Then move the cruise missile onto the transport and it goes in. I don't know if this works for conquests or ptw. And I don't know if they programmed it like that on purpose but i'm guessing not.

Start wars at the beginning of the game, to disrupt and/or destroy your opponent early on. In the easier difficulties, they cannot bounce back, and if you have better units then them, they will be destroyed.

later in the modern era bomb citys with planes over and over then when you get a chance attack the city when it has weak or no units on it... that way you can save alot of units

What I do, I build cities in "triangles," (each corner is a city), and build roads between them

It works well for me :D

If you see an AI throwing stacks of units at you. you know its war time. but you can make it less lethal by doing this. get the AI about to attack you to sign a right of passage....yup. and sometimes its free. Of course they will still declare war on you anyway. They broke the right of passage trust. which means other AIs wont trust that attacking AI. thus cancelling all right of passage and MPPs between them.

later in the modern era bomb citys with planes over and over then when you get a chance attack the city when it has weak or no units on it... that way you can save alot of units

remember the fighters. AIs can build alot of these. my choice of bombardment is using Stealth Fighters. They of course get hit in a 5% chance but they have a better defense and may attack thou defender. if you notice that all fighters are gone. send out the bombers. Espionage + Steal Plans is very useful for finding locations on fighters. and dont forget to investigate the city for Missle Batterys and the aircraft.

Problems with submarines.

The big problem with submarines is that civs you are not at war with will "run them over" starting a war. A couple techniques for avoiding the "sub bug" are:

Put subs in a group with surface ships. The sub can still take out enemy transports but won't be attacked by friendly ships.

Ensure every stack of ships has at least 1 destroyer in it to spot neutral subs.

you may run into them and the pop up screen appears saying you want to declare war with civ.

So you can safely move by them. but yes. youll need a surface ship.:goodjob:

Always keep an unconnected strategic resource somewhere in your territory; that way if you accidentally automate one of your workers, you'll know where to find him. ;)

Top Bottom