1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

PPQ Flavor Module

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by PPQ_Purple, Aug 6, 2017.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

In related news, I've been fiddling around with various bits and bobs trying to figure out how to make workboats more interesting. Keep an eye out for updates on that.

Also, I have a lore question. Golems in FFH. Are they just humanoid or can you like make a golem in any shape you want? Like, obviously you'd want some commonality with a human form like say a head so that it can hear commands and see where it's going. And maybe arms so it can carry or load cargo on its own. But like how much is up for interpretation? Can you make a golem mount to ride on? What about a cart-centaur?

2. black_imperator

black_imperator Chieftain

i don't remember it being explicitely stated anywhere that golems must be humanoid. I'll check my lore database

3. PPQ_Purple

Basically I am asking because I've been thinking of doing something Golem related for the Lichup. Golem rowers would be the obvious choice but the scale of naval units just makes that impossible. So the next obvious option is some form of golem ship. No idea how I would actually make that though. Literally none. But like I'd like to examine the option and its lore validity before I even try.

4. PPQ_Purple

Something to hold you guys over whilst we figure this out:
    fisher.JPG

And yes, of course it's fully animated.

black_imperator likes this.
  5. black_imperator

black_imperator Chieftain

Very nice one ^^

6. PPQ_Purple

I intend to use it as a rough baseline for various civs fishing boats to give them a bit more variety.

Speaking of fishing boats. The Lanun UU uses the same art define as the regular fishing boat. Also the Operator (mechanos UU worker) uses by default the same art define as a regular worker. So when I give them unique graphics I have to edit the actual unit definition which isn't very nice since it makes things non-modular for the purposes of cross version updating.

So it would be super nice if you could just go through the various UUs that use the same image as default units and gave them unique art defines even if they are placeholders so that I can override them.

7. PPQ_Purple

Update on the ships. In order to streamline the process a bit and get a release out sooner I'll be splitting them up into two categories. I'll do galley, trireme, caravel, carrack, frigate, manowar and galleon first and leave the queen of the line, workboat and arcane barge for a later separate release.

And I'll be releasing these things in batches when I have 2-3 civs complete at once.

8. PPQ_Purple

The scions are supposed to be Rome inspired so I went all in and used the Asian trireme hull with Dutch East Indian sails. Makes sense in context.
    Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

Sorry for the bad photoshop marks. But that's par for the course by now.

TheIanOakley and black_imperator like this.
  9. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

they seems really dark.
    is it on purpose or an artifact of the screenshot ?
    (if many ships are dark -dark red / dark blue / black ..etc, it becomes difficult to distinguish them from each other - save for the symboles on the sails and the civ flag.)

10. PPQ_Purple

It's supposed to be brown with red and gold. I'll do a test with a lighter brown for the hull portion and post back.

11. PPQ_Purple

Ok, I fiddled around a bit with getting the texture lighter without washing it out. And here are some options I came up with:
    Spoiler Type 1 :

Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

Spoiler Type 2 :
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG

Do you guys prefer one of these to the original? If so which one? Or should I keep fiddling?

12. PPQ_Purple

By the way, I need that input to continue as I am using the same texture for multiple models.

13. Calavente

honestly: I prefer the type 2 (and maybe with brighter red) : but for some civs/ships you might want the darker hulls.
    (and it depends how it appears in your game screen) :
    the best way to see it is to put together the ships of the different civs and see if they are easily distinguishable or not
    (and if a common theme can be seen per civ, and a common them per ship type :
    -you identify directly that its a queen of the line, and you identify directly that it has the Scion theme: roman-style (beware that all trirems already have a roman style)
    (NB : maybe you can take some inspiration from the city buildings ? (for fore and aft roofs, shapes of masts..etc))

14. PPQ_Purple

Color and theme vise they should be. I mean, so far I have:
    - Paddle wheels and chimneys (Mechanos)
    - Black ships (Calabim)
    - Brown red and gold with eyeballs on it (Scions)
    - Green and orange, think summer/autumn (Ljosafar)
    - Black and silver and potentially purple and even blues (Svatalfar)
    - Patchwork (Balseraphs)

And than on top of that I have distinct styles like:
    - All elven ships are sleek and pointy (based off the Muslim ships from here)
    - Humanoid civs get more conventional ship designs, but again off that huge template + vanilla ships
    - Lizardmen get their own thing entirely that looks like nothing of the above
    - Ditto demonic civs. I am looking into lore options for those...

And on top of that I intend to add various bits of flavor like the Cualli trireme that's going to have a huge triceratops skull for a ramming bow or (if I can make it happen) some of the more magically inclined civs substituting spell effects for cannon.

So it should be distinct enough once I am done with it.

I am working of the following criteria:
    - Galley = Oars and simple sails.
    - Trireme = Oars and elaborate sails. Basically a visual upgrade from the galley.

- Cog = Modified cog model with the distinct U shaped hull in some way present.
    - Caravel = light sail only ship.

- Frigate = Sleek big sailing ship with 1-2 rows of cannon.
    - Galleon = Big rotund sailing ship.
    - Manowar = Really big impressive but sleek ship with 3 rows of cannon.
    - QOTL = Not making these right now because I need to build up a whole new animation set as the original model is broken.

Not when I am done with them. I am looking to make the ships more civ specific so you will get stuff like angular pointy ships for the elves, regular ships but with paddle wheels and chimneys for the mechanos, boxy roman style ships for the scions. So at the end of the day very few civs will have vanilla looking ships.

Masts pretty much have to stay the way they are because it''s the only functional shape. But yea, I am fiddling with buildings and tents and stuff for various models.

Like right now I am trying to figure out how to work in a Mascarade caravan tent thing into a galley. And what building to use as a template for temple like structures I keep wanting to add to the Bannor.

And how to represent a magical component on the ships of the more magically inclined civs. Because I want there to be something there signifying that and I don't want it just to be a spell effect mist thing. But it also has to be recognizable and yet semi-universal so that I can for example use the same thing for the Illians and Amurites. And the mage guild is looking as an interesting option.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Calavente

I see that you have things pretty puch settled... that's good.
    (in my more out-of-the-world ramblings I was for example wondering about tree-shaped ships ? or maybe with tree-like masts and oriented Umbrella pine or sunflower for mast/sails for ljos, maybe with a spider webs for the spider civ..., and with horns and leather and spikes for Clan);

for magical civs :
    maybe have runes or sigils runing on the hull (& sails?) (glowing blue&red for Amurite , glowing Purple and silver for Sheaim, glowing Silver and Ice-Blue for Illian ..etc and gold&copper for Khazad, gold-green for Ljos;...)
    or... maybe just give 1-2 colored & glowing main sails for magical civs (enhanced durability/manoeuvrability/resistance to wind) blue for Amurite, light blue for Illians, purple for Sheaim...etc)

16. PPQ_Purple

I am going by the rule that first and foremost it has to be a functional ship. So things like spider web sails are not out of the question, but masts that don't make sense functionally are.

I am always open to ideas by the way. Just because I reject some don't mean I am not taking notes. And honestly I tend to lack inspiration these days anyway so keep them coming.

Glowing bit son sails is an interesting idea. I like it. Assuming I can get it to work.

Speaking of that are there any existing effects in the game that are basically like a cone of flame or ice or something? Any units producing those?

17. Calavente

I'm just conforting my "visual idea".
    However I'm pretty sure that :
    -they don't really belong to FFH
    -they would be hard as ass to include in FFH.

(that said, my dabbling in civ4 art is oldish, but I don't remember those kind of effects.)
    did you check the glowing effect on the Iron Golem in Magistermodmod ? (there is a drop-shaped glowing flame)
    (further there might be 2 units : greek-fire boat unit (byzantium UU?) ??? and flamethrower. but my knowledge of "normal" mods for civ4 is abyssimal)

some links for "tree-ships":
    https://huaban.com/pins/203399865/
    https://bit.ly/2Lv8TPh
    https://razwit.deviantart.com/art/Sea-Elf-Clipper-Ship-512011659

other different typed ships (mainly for ljos, but could also work for other civs)
    http://i.imgur.com/2gsXl.jpg
    http://bfme2.heavengames.com/cpix/gameinfo/elvenstorm.jpg
    https://a-nessessary-studio.deviantart.com/art/Lance-Aquatic-Air-Ship-87910650
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LHA-O8oYD...AAQA/_pBtKcT5syg/s1600/thaniras_elf_fleet.jpg

dark-violet dragon sails, (of warhammer dark elf inspiration ) that could work with sheaim
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/502221795941972362/

18. PPQ_Purple

What does not belong in FFH? Glowing runes on sails or the rest of what you said?

19. Calavente

I was talking about the images on the links I posted... some are too inspired from warhammer, or too strange, (and mostly I didn't want to try to influence you, just trying to explain visualy my idea )

re- cone of fire : the Pyre Zombies have (at least in magister mod mod, but in all FFH2 I think) a long vertical conical droplet of fire superimposed on them