PPQ Flavor Module

How are 3D models like children?

Spoiler You need to break a few bones to make something of them! :
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Seriously, don't ask me how I did it. But after it proved absolutely 100% impossible to transplant anything onto the lizardmen model I managed to eventually transplant the lizardmen onto a regular CIV model. From that point on I could than transplant it to any mesh I wanted and generally play around. The result is the above seen golden lizardmen champion.

Comments?

PS, And yes, this does mean the previous model is obsolete and should be disregarded.

It should be there. Let me check.

Yep, it's there. The Banor armor is just so fat that it hides it unless you look from an angle.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Also, who ever suggested an evil space marine on the last page. I am actually keeping evil biomechanical things in the back of my head for an Eidolon. But like that's going to be a really hard one to make so I am holding off on that.

Talking of the race in general now.
- I think that this one does well for a champion.
- For the swordsman I've been thinking of removing the arm and leg armor and the shoulder plates but keeping the rest. Maybe change the shield for a smaller round one, maybe.
- I'd leave the warrior naked and unchanged.
- For the longbowman I am still not sure what to do. Like I don't really think it needs too much armor as the whole blowgun thing makes me think that the Mazatl archery line is more ambush/skirmish than proper field archery. So like minimal armor would be the norm.
- Elite units I would have to spend time thinking about before I say anything.

Awesome! :goodjob:

Just a quick idea for the shields:
Spoiler Turtle shield :

I think that would look great on the lightly armored units who cannot afford metal armor.

I could imagine some feathers on the elite units as decoration, like on the Aztec:

Spoiler :

Spoiler That would be an awesome helmet :

Just some quick ideas, whether they help or not.

Those are excellent ideas indeed. Especially the one with the big neck growth thing. I am definitively using that for the blow gunner as soon as I can.

Now, for a question. How do you guys feel about war paint? I think that might be an interesting way to make the nakedish lizard units stand out.

I took a few moments off to make a catapult reskin for the mazatl.
Spoiler Nothing major, I just made it look darker to be more like jungle wood and added some minor decoration. :

And no, I can't make those feathers brighter. I tried. But it would take too much work to figure out the environmental lights and stuff.
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Also, it now fires moss covered stones.
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

More importantly though I've butchered the texture on the catapult model apart in PDN so now I can just easily create and swap in different colors of wood.

Remember when I said I'd return when I had the melee units done?

Spoiler Well here it is. :

The Mazatl melee line. Warrior, Swordsman and Champion.
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Just the warrior
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Swordsman
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Champion
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

I managed to fix the graphics glitches with the shield units but have no luck with the regular two handed warrior as of yet. Am not particularly hopeful either.

It's basically supposed to be a headband. But the lizard head is more narrow than the aztec archer I copied it from so it ends up looking thick. This is more or less as good as I can get it.

I created a completely random unit just now. And I need your opinion on it.

I started off with the idea of making a Belesarph paladin. And my intended inspiration for this unit is to take the Samurai but with bits of western armor on there and some unique animation and than add carnival colors on it. And that's still what I intend to do for the paladin. That's not in question. What is in question is this particular end result. And frankly I am not sure what to make of it.

Spoiler Seriously, like? hate? dunno :
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Version with the Loki puppet mask across the chest...
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

And yes, that is indeed a hound scull bascinet under a samurai helmet. I am definitively keeping that part as it looks suitable jigsaw puzzle everyone's favorite teenage girl played with a make your own knight set too much.

But for the rest I am 50/50 between using this model and fiddling with the skin a bit and starting from scratch. So what do you people think?

An armored freak... Aren't freaks like supposed to be some sort of odd castout mutant thing? How does that fit with the image of a super elite special holy warrior? Like I'd imagine that sort of people would not exactly gravitate toward those sort of jobs.

Maybe I just have a very different image of them in my head than you do. Like, you seem to see the whole twisting nature of the carnival as something evil and corrupting where as I see it as being a fun and cheerful veneer that conceals the corruption under the surface. So like to me an elite Belesarph warrior would not be an evil corruption of elite warriors but something more like a Landsknecht. E.I. an elite warrior who is above the whole thing already at this point but completely into putting on 30 different colors of lace on his pants to show off.

So basically a warrior that you come across in the field and think he is a joke. You walk next to him and still think he is a joke. You laugh and drink together and you know is a joke. And than he starts fighting and nobody feels like laughing any more.

Seriously, google images of the Landsknecht. Agree with me or not those just look awesome.

Last edited:
yeah, i don't think there's much concealing to their society ^^
Obviously you know more about the lore than I do. But from all I've read it my interpretation has always been that the carnival it self is basically a society level mask that everyone wars in his own way just like we do with our own social norms and customs. But much like the succubus tent mentioned in one of the wiki pages you newer know what's actually underneath there.

So like belesarph a warrior could be brutally effective and awesomely skilled if they want to. In fact he has to be or else they would have fallen to their enemies. But that guy would look just as silly and clownish as the street performer next to him. So you newer know. You can't know. Nobody can know. Nobody can ever know if the clown sitting behind you is actually Penpentarch him self out for a stroll. Or if its just a clown. And if that does not drive you mad than you just get used to it and become a naturalized citizen in no time.

So like it's all actually pretty normal if you just tilt your meter to treat random and insane is normal.

That's always been my take on things. Also I find this discussion to be very interesting in its own right.

Top Bottom