PPQ Flavor Module

I created a completely random unit just now. And I need your opinion on it.

I started off with the idea of making a Belesarph paladin. And my intended inspiration for this unit is to take the Samurai but with bits of western armor on there and some unique animation and than add carnival colors on it. And that's still what I intend to do for the paladin. That's not in question. What is in question is this particular end result. And frankly I am not sure what to make of it.

Spoiler Seriously, like? hate? dunno :

And yes, that is indeed a hound scull bascinet under a samurai helmet. I am definitively keeping that part as it looks suitable jigsaw puzzle everyone's favorite teenage girl played with a make your own knight set too much.

But for the rest I am 50/50 between using this model and fiddling with the skin a bit and starting from scratch. So what do you people think?
Spoiler Seriously, like? hate? dunno :

if you are still waiting for an opinion, I like it a lot... but the samurai part is too apparent and predominating.
maybe add a knight/paladin cape ?
or hide the greaves under a full grey-ish leg armor ?

regarding the Mazalt, I'd rather they have a more copperish armor (see the radiant guards, but with more vert-de-gris) and less a golden armor.
otherwise your work is amazing !

For everyone wondering about the lack of updates I am working on figuring out 3D max and making custom units that way. So far it's working out great in technical terms. But now I lack inspiration.

So like I am open to suggestions and if your idea is detailed and I like it I'll try and make it happen.

Well, you did great on the Mazatl Melee line, so maybe you could tackle the cualli next . I envision something more bone-related ( Cuai-ixl portrait is a great example of what it could be)

Could you maybe be a bit more specific? The bit I am struggling with is not really figuring out the themes but figuring out individual units.

Does that triceratops skull go over the back of his head and down his neck? How does he move his head in that? Or am I not seeing it right?

from what i can see, the skull is mostly the top part of the helmet, along with the metal parts on the side on his face an the bottom of the skull jaw, the rest is part of the torso armor i'd say.

Also, whilst I wait for an answer to a very important question I'd like to make a note about something people asked about the lizardmen models. The helmet I used is not made up. It's actually a real world helmet called a Sallet, in particular a German style one from circa the 15th century. Expect to see more of it in places you might not expect.

Word to the wise. Don't try and mod great people. Great people are cancer, they are hate.

On the bright side, since you were so nice in waiting and I decided to relax I bring to you a quick job of not one but 4 new units, this time for the Calabim. Starting from the top left they are the:
Spoiler Archer :
a.JPG

Spoiler Longbowman :
b.JPG

Spoiler Horseman :
d.JPG

e.JPG

Spoiler And Horsearcher :
c.JPG

Spoiler A picture of all of them in the game. :
f.JPG

The models are based off the Moroi and Vampire units and VD models and fire a custom black arrow as opposed to red and white striped ugly projectile thing.

nice job.
(For great people, i can maybe help, i maintain a mod with additional ones)

The horser archer could use some more work on his tunic maybe, it looks monochrome at the moment.

I'll see what I can do for the tunic. Right now it's basically just a copy paste of the texture for the Moroi's skirt. I should probably work in an overlay on top of that to make it look scaly or something tomorrow.

As for great people my chief problem is that for some reason they are just a pain to paste things onto. Like any other two models I can take the main body mesh from one and copy to the other and 80% of the time it'll work. And when it does not it's a simple case of opening Max, importing both the model I want to paste onto and the unit I want to paste, making the later fit the skin of the former and exporting it back out again. That works 100% of the time.

Great people for some reason just won't let me do that. I go through all the motions and the unit crashes. Or the added mesh is not rendered in the game leaving accessories floating on their own. And that's where I start screaming at the walls.

A quick new update for the Calabim. I've finished the third and last of the cavalry units so far. Which means that all I have to do is finish up the archer line and I'll be more or less done with them.

Spoiler Knight :
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Spoiler The whole line togheter. Notice I added some armor to the horse archer to make him NOT monochrome looking. :
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Expect some sort of release by the end of the year where I'll just clump together all the units I've made thus far.

I really dig the Knight's high collar cape and the jagged Sauron helm, looking real vampiric. Though i wish his weapon was bigger and longer than that toothpick. Like, a zweihander size sword. Remember that Calabim is a nation runs by crackheads aristocrats but with blood buff magic instead of crack. The mindset of their high ranking warriors must be of those that constantly high on power trip and try to chop anything and everything that come close on the battlefield. With the aid of their vampire strength, Not only a large two-handed sword could do that with ease, swinging a vaguely giant phallic symbol of a sword with one hand can be pretty demoralizing to the "lesser" men and a great show of their authority. :lol:

Really huge swords don't really work on horseback. They'd also clip through the horse during animation and stuff. So I am keeping the ultragreatsword category for melee units. But rest assured that sort of sword is my favorite as well and therefore has a place in several unit designs I have envisioned.

I really need your comments on this unit. I basically got it by removing the musketeer head from the regular hunter and tweaking a few things. I came to it basically randomly and like it enough that I think it might look like a good hunter for the Calabim. But like something feels like it's missing.

Spoiler Unit. :
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

what about a short sword or big ass knife?
or maybe using the same bassinet as the longbow would give a unique look...

Speaking of knifes I just now realized that for some reason the model does not display the axe the hunter should have. Same for the scout. I'll have a peak at the KFM...

Top Bottom