Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Oh, and on the subject of Indonesia's education, I believe that it's one of those problems that can't be made better just by throwing money at it.

True, but there education is already not "horrible." What with a 90.4% literacy rate and mandatory schooling with their poor economy, it could certainly be a pile better by 2053, especially if their economy improved. Maybe not great, but certainly good. Just a thought though. I'll play them no matter how they start out... :)

Aren't those rates provided by the Indonesian Government? Because considering how many inhabited islands are in Indonesia and how they can barely manage all of them, I'm quite surprised they would have such a high literacy rate. :confused:

It surprised me, although I have no idea who supplies the information. I confirmed it from several sources, though(CIA's World Factbook, Wikipedia, and several Indonesian government pages). I would suppose that at least one of those is a little biased...

Well that's the thing, there's no way to confirm a country's literacy rate so they just repeat what the government says. You don't think the CIA goes around testing everybody in Indonesia for their literacy?

I doubt the number is anything more than wishful thinking, but who can ever know?

Well, the best we can do is go with what we know, and that number is all I can find. Besides, its not that unreasonable... :lol:

At any rate, having a good literacy rate does not necessarily indicate a good education.

Certainly true, but some people certainly think it does. Rather important, or we would find a better way of measuring education. And double certainty!

Ok well, just for the record, here's how America's spheres of influence should look. We have extensive military bases in S Korea, Somalia, Taiwan, Phillipines, Turkey, and the Ukraine. Somalia and the ARMM region of the Phillipines should be under international control, led by the US (I don't know how you want that displayed on the map).

Well, I probably won't have a map of the Earth's surface, so your influence in these areas will have to be taken for granted.

I'm not at the computer where my work on the update is, but I've got the stats and such done at least. The update itself should be done within a couple of days.

As I work on the update, I'd like to propose something and hear some feedback. Since we have several people wanting to play in this Pre-NES, I'm considering letting players take over as "governors" for the colonies on individual planets, under the command of whichever nation founded a particular colony. These governors might choose to rebel and become their own nation, of course... but of course the act of rebellion wouldn't guarantee its success. ;) This should allow more people to play, while also letting each planet take on a more unique identity.

Sounds interesting! Although it would be a problem when you ran out of other players, as it would limit colony ability and be unfair to some nations if they had nothing but rebellious colonies because someone was playing the governor. Beyond that, if you could do it right, I'd certainly agree to it.

I'm considering letting players take over as "governors" for the colonies on individual planets, under the command of whichever nation founded a particular colony. These governors might choose to rebel and become their own nation, of course... but of course the act of rebellion wouldn't guarantee its success.

Hear hear!

Sounds interesting! Although it would be a problem when you ran out of other players, as it would limit colony ability and be unfair to some nations if they had nothing but rebellious colonies because someone was playing the governor. Beyond that, if you could do it right, I'd certainly agree to it.

Ahem. He could just have NPC governors when players are in deficit. ;)

Ahem. He could just have NPC governors when players are in deficit.

Yes, but doesn't it seem a little unfair to have some nations weighed down with PC governors who might try to rebel? They would have to treat them a good deal better, diplomacy takes longer, etc.,etc. It seems as though those who got the NPC governors would have an advantage. I suppose I could be wrong, though... :)

Actually, this may be considered reflecting differences in colonial administration policies (reflecting, largely, degrees of central control).

"NPC governor" empires will generally be more stable, but also more stagnant, with less local initiative and innovative development.

"PC governor" empires will have more economically-efficient colonies in general, but will also run greater risks of disintegration

That's a classical dilemma of empire-building, so this NES would actually benefit from it.

I'd be a governor.

Actually, this may be considered reflecting differences in colonial administration policies (reflecting, largely, degrees of central control).

"NPC governor" empires will generally be more stable, but also more stagnant, with less local initiative and innovative development.

"PC governor" empires will have more economically-efficient colonies in general, but will also run greater risks of disintegration

That's a classical dilemma of empire-building, so this NES would actually benefit from it.

Well, when you put it that way, I have to agree...

Or we could actually have competent NPCs. I realize that's a road that few mods venture down, but trust me, it's much better when you get there. :p

Does competence also implies occasional treachery? You know, for the good of the colony? ;) Because otherwise it isn't even.

I'm all for competent NPCs, but I don't think that's really comparable with PCs.

Does competence also implies occasional treachery? You know, for the good of the colony? ;) Because otherwise it isn't even.

Of course it does. I've always thought that since it takes about two minutes to churn out an average order set, a mod can probably decide the moves for every NPC.

I'm all for competent NPCs, but I don't think that's really comparable with PCs.

Of course they won't be as difficult to beat as a PC, but at least they can give the players a challenge.

Top Bottom