Preferred future of the Civ franchise

Phlegmak

Deity
So, what would you guys like to see in the future with Civilization? I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not like the same game redone every few years. I think that's completely uncool. It's like Firaxis is using the Microsoft model for games (Microsoft has made new versions of the same operating system over and over since Windows 95). In my opinion, Civ 4 was unnecessary, but that's just me. Civ 3 was possibly unnecessary, but Civ 2 had a few problems I thought. I hope Firaxis never makes Civ 5, but I'm sure they eventually will.

I would be happy with something Civilization-like in these settings:
  • Space
  • Magic and monsters fantasy
  • Some kind of game with a strategic component, and then a zoom in tactical component, sort of like Master of Magic or Ancient Art of War.
  • Some kind of other planet with multiple species, with multiple soldier types, and multiple tech trees
However, I can see that a lot of that is possible with just scenarios (or "mods") in existing games.

Note to moderators: Don't move this thread someplace else, since it's not about any one particular Civ game.

I'd like to see a game with "Minor Civs" that you could talk to, vassalize, and determine wether they were in a game or not in the "Custom Game" screen. They wouldn't be playable.

sort of like Master of Magic

ooh I loved that game! thanks for reminding me, I should get that out again and see if Dos-box runs it... why that one never really did get a remake is beyond me.

But I think adding these micro-fights into Civ would make the games last too long. Personally I'd be happy with a return to 2-D graphs to speed up gameplay on mid-low end computers on huge maps. Bring back Civ2-style wonder videos instead of that rendered homogenous mass.

I want more depth. More resorces, more civs ( make your own would be nice), more techs, more improvements, longer games. I want EPIC scale!!

I want more depth. More resorces, more civs ( make your own would be nice), more techs, more improvements, longer games. I want EPIC scale!!

A cutom Civ would be a great improvement.

I'd like to see a game with "Minor Civs" that you could talk to, vassalize, and determine wether they were in a game or not in the "Custom Game" screen. They wouldn't be playable.

You mean like in Galactic Civilizations II? Basically, the Civilization franchise should take note of a lot of the features in GalCivII. Notable features from GalCivII I would like to see in Civ are:

1. Governments that actually mean something. In GalCivII, you can actually be voted out of office in a democratic government, which makes it harder for you to run your empire efficiently.

2. The UN should be modelled after the United Planets in GalCivII. The model is, if you are a member, you must follow all resolutions passed by the UP (which you and all other members get to vote on at the end of every year). You can choose to break away from the United Planets, but then you will not be allowed to trade wit hother civilizations

3. More in-depth warfare. In GalCivII, when you attack a planet you have different options as to how you want to invade the planet. Some options are very powerful and will allow you to easily defeat your opponet, but may cause so much damage, that the planet becomes useless.

4. Civil Wars. In GalCivII if you don't treat your citizens right, you could lose half of your empire and end up fighting a civil war to reclaim the wayward worlds.

5. A more complex, yet streamlined economic system. In GalCivII not only can you set tax rates, but the percentage of your total industrial capacity you wish to use as well. The advantage is that if you are going through a rough patch economically and can't raise taxes (for fear of revolt), then you can shut down some of your production ability to save revenue.

I believe that if Civilization added these features to it's already impressive gameplay, it would become the perfect 4x game franchise.

They had them in the way back in the before time. 1 or 2 I don't remember.

I love GCII.

Im still under the impression that they turned their back on every last feature in Call to Power just in spite. Let's face it, compared to Civ II, Call to Power, or SMAC neither Civ III or Civ IV and all their expansions have really generated the excitement of previous games among the loyal fanbase. Its time for something new.

You mean like in Galactic Civilizations II? Basically, the Civilization franchise should take note of a lot of the features in GalCivII. Notable features from GalCivII I would like to see in Civ are:

1. Governments that actually mean something. In GalCivII, you can actually be voted out of office in a democratic government, which makes it harder for you to run your empire efficiently.

2. The UN should be modelled after the United Planets in GalCivII. The model is, if you are a member, you must follow all resolutions passed by the UP (which you and all other members get to vote on at the end of every year). You can choose to break away from the United Planets, but then you will not be allowed to trade wit hother civilizations

3. More in-depth warfare. In GalCivII, when you attack a planet you have different options as to how you want to invade the planet. Some options are very powerful and will allow you to easily defeat your opponet, but may cause so much damage, that the plaet becomes useless.

4. Civil Wars. In GalCivII if you don't treat your citizens right, you could loose half of your empire and end up fighting a civil war to reclaim the wayward worlds.

5. A more complex, yet stramlined economic system. In GalCivII not only can you set tax rates, but the percentage of your total industrial capacity you wish to use as well. The advantage is that if you are going through a rough patch economically and can't raise taxes (for fear of revolt), then you can shut down some of your production ability to save revenue.

I believe that if Civilization added these features to it's already impressive gameplay, it would become the perfect 4x game franchise.

Sounds great! But, Firaxis will have to add some differences between the two.

And to Skadistic, I don't remember custom Civs, so I'll have to check it out.

3. More in-depth warfare. In GalCivII, when you attack a planet you have different options as to how you want to invade the planet. Some options are very powerful and will allow you to easily defeat your opponet, but may cause so much damage, that the plaet becomes useless.

4. Civil Wars. In GalCivII if you don't treat your citizens right, you could loose half of your empire and end up fighting a civil war to reclaim the wayward worlds.

5. A more complex, yet stramlined economic system. In GalCivII not only can you set tax rates, but the percentage of your total industrial capacity you wish to use as well. The advantage is that if you are going through a rough patch economically and can't raise taxes (for fear of revolt), then you can shut down some of your production ability to save revenue.

Aye, GalCiv2 definitely has that epic scale that's missing in Civ4, I think.

Another good idea for combat would be to "borrow" the combat system found in Call To Power. It was much more developed. Sending an archer against a warrior was a guaranteed loss, but send the same archer protected by a warrior and both units would be much stronger. You had flanking too.
It was a great way to actually think about what units you'd put into your stack.

I'd like to see the Modern Age include technology that's in design. If we have cure for cancer and SDI, why not others?

Also, I'd like to see something where if enough Civs take sides in a war, a "world war" is declared, where if you jump in, you take 'em all on.

I would like to see more intelligent AI.

Instead of giving the computer advantages at harder levels, make him more intelligent instead.

I know that good AI is not easy to code, but maybe if they spent less time working on graphics and more time working on gameplay, it would get a bit better ;)

So, what would you guys like to see in the future with Civilization? I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not like the same game redone every few years. I think that's completely uncool. It's like Firaxis is using the Microsoft model for games (Microsoft has made new versions of the same operating system over and over since Windows 95). In my opinion, Civ 4 was unnecessary, but that's just me. Civ 3 was possibly unnecessary, but Civ 2 had a few problems I thought. I hope Firaxis never makes Civ 5, but I'm sure they eventually will.

I would be happy with something Civilization-like in these settings:
  • Space
  • Magic and monsters fantasy
  • Some kind of game with a strategic component, and then a zoom in tactical component, sort of like Master of Magic or Ancient Art of War.
  • Some kind of other planet with multiple species, with multiple soldier types, and multiple tech trees
However, I can see that a lot of that is possible with just scenarios (or "mods") in existing games.

Note to moderators: Don't move this thread someplace else, since it's not about any one particular Civ game.

Its all been done. Civ is meant to be Civ...a human history based game, unless you mean a slight mutation like TOT, which has done the first two. I don't really consider it to be really "civ", as good as it is. I personally think those ideas, while good ones and appropriate for other similar games, take away from the true intent of Civ.

Let Civ be Civ, let GC be GC, let AC be AC, and let Total War be Total War.

That said, some other game that presents combat at every level from king (tbs) to general to squad commander to grunt etc. etc. would be quite impressive...especially in MMORPG format.

Steady as she goes. I like civ4 better than civ3, and I like 3 better than 1, as it should be. I think the series is improving.

I would like to see more intelligent AI.

Instead of giving the computer advantages at harder levels, make him more intelligent instead.

I know that good AI is not easy to code, but maybe if they spent less time working on graphics and more time working on gameplay, it would get a bit better ;)

I'd settle for automated scouts and workers that don't run around in circles.

Both can be modded into the game using the editor.

Skad: Go download Double Your Pleasure mod for Civ III, there's a 540-turn version of it, and enough units, resources, and techs to cure you of your needs.

Alpha Centauri II!

As for Civ5, I'd like something more immersive. All those cool things they cut from 1-3 would be a nice start (Palace view, City view, advisors, etc)

Civ? What the hell is Civ? :p

I would like to see a possible expansion in the foreign relations department beyond the standard peace, trade, war settings. I could even hope for some internal strife/politics to manage but that might be beyond the true scope of the franchise.

Top Bottom