PREVIEW: NukaNESIOT: Commanders (Title Pending)

Glorious Venezuelan and Soviet cooperation in defending the city of Caracas.

I am fine with whatever as long as it is not steampunk.

I would like to see China or Russia, although I have no other strong preference.

Additional positions? SpecOps, General Staff and I think Admirals if we end up in a country with quite some coast/navigable rivers.

Finally, I would to see armoured warfare (Mobile warfare best fare)

What kind of country would you like to fight in?
-A real world country in an alternate history

If "Real World Country" in an alternate history, what country would you like to fight in?
Germany

If "Fake Country in real world", what geographic region would you like the conflict to be fought in?
Europe

What terrain would you like to fight in? (Pick 2, I see this as and/or)
-Snow/Ice
-Mountainous

Aside from the Head of State/Air Force Chief/General positions, what other positions in the NESIOT would you potentially be interested in playing?
City Occupation authority

What time period would you be interested in fighting in?
Post Cold War(1990s)

Are there any features in particular that you would like to see in the game?
Everything that has been said before.
Space warfare involving orbital strikes.
Intervention and supplies being given by great powers.

To be honest, I would have no idea how to properly simulate a future war, so I'd probably have to decline that option. However, APCs and Helicopters are pretty cool! :D

For naval issues, if anything, I would likely go for mostly brownwater action, nothing too major.

For Europe, I would say if we wanted this sort of conflict, it would almost HAVE to be in the 20's/30's, as it would be highly likely that WW III could be set off in a European Civil War (Greece got a pass I think because the USSR was more or less uninterested)

So Far the vote seems to be 1920's Belgian Congo (or Venezuela), which admittedly could be a very interesting game, but I'm going to leave this going for another couple of days to see how things go before making a final decision. I'd say if we go Belgian Congo I'd prefer Cold War, and Venezuela I'd prefer 1920's, but we shall see! I think I am going to open up applications fairly soon, and from there, I can start working on the fine tuning of the game and launch fairly shortly :)

In such a case, I prefer Venezuela.

-A real world country in an alternate history

If "Real World Country" in an alternate history, what country would you like to fight in?
-Austria - Hungary
-Kingdom of Hungary
-CSA sounded fun

If "Fake Country in real world", what geographic region would you like the conflict to be fought in?
-Middle East/North Africa
-Sub-Saharan Africa
-Europe

-Desert
-Mountainous

Aside from the Head of State/Air Force Chief/General positions, what other positions in the NESIOT would you potentially be interested in playing?
-The previous suggestions, maybe Military/Secret Police?

-Post WWI/Pre WW II

-um, can't think of any

So as you debate your options before you, I am sure you are wondering what stats might be looking like. The game will mostly be comprised of units that you are going to be deploying, and here is a sample look of a division and what each category means!

Army of the Republic of Vietnam
5th Division (Infantry)
Training: D
Equipment: C
Morale: D
Supplied At: 70%
Readiness: C
Specialization: None

------

Training is a measure of how much experience your soldiers have, gained through trial by fire or other more traditional means. A well trained force will be able to better execute orders, have better initiative, and will take to specializations much quicker than less trained forces. They make fewer mistakes, and can take initiative when needed.

However, training is not the end all be all. A warlord once said “A bullet from a 14 year old is just as effective as a bullet from a 40 year old. Often more effective.” A poorly trained soldier can sit behind a wall or in a trench and defend rather well, and in a more “meat grinder battle”, warm bodies may account for more than well trained warm bodies. Your training officer and the rest of the general staff will have to determine whether it is better to train the men or if two weeks and a few days at the firing range is all you can afford. Soldiers will naturally gain experience as they enter fights (as long as they survive!) and can rise in the ranks, but it may be a slow process. Keeping some elite units is definitely advisable, but you may find that training your entire army is not only prohibitively expensive, but also leaving you desperately short on manpower.

The only exception I would say are aircraft. I would /heavily/ recommend training your pilots due to the immense cost of aircraft, but sometimes you just need the birds in the sky. It’s your choice.

------

Equipment is the measure of the quality (both technological and condition) of your equipment that you are using. Of course weapons are a big factor in that, but also aspects such as having a radio and other equipment, which can be a significant advantage for the unit. Equipment is slightly affected by the Supplied stat, and may degrade if the unit does not have any time to rest and repair their equipment. It can affect the morale of a unit though, as a unit may be impressed or angered by the quality of equipment they receive.

------

Morale is the emotional well being of the unit. High morale units are more likely to believe in your cause, and therefore fight harder, and be less likely to cut and run like troops with low morale. Morale is a tricky subject to handle, and it can vary from unit to unit. The actions of the unit, Training, Equipment, and Supply, and the activities of the entire army all affect morale. A unit may gain morale when your side captures a key objective. wins a major battle, and generally winning the war, or at the very least not causing too many casualties in the unit. Morale can potentially take a beating though if you force the unit to take unethical actions, lose battles, or if you abandon allied units. While high morale can keep a unit fighting for a bit longer, low morale can cause a unit to be more willing to surrender, or even outright disband if it gets low enough.

----------

“Supplied At” is not given a normal letter grade, but rather is given at a certain percentage. Supplied At is affected by no stat, and affects every stat for your unit, and is critical for maintaining a functioning army. Supply lines are /incredibly/ important, and maintaining an effective logistics network is worth several battlefield victories. Supplies are not just the food for your men, the bullets for your guns, or the oil for your tanks. It is also your socks and boots, the bandages and medicine for your wounded, anything and everything you can think that a soldier might need. A unit will need a certain amount of supplies per turn to function. Some supplies can be foraged, and you can focus on only essential supplies to keep costs down, but it will have a potentially severe affect on all categories for the unit. An army marches on its stomach indeed.

-------

Readiness is perhaps the most important stat to look at in terms of the fighting power of your units. Readiness measures how ready your units are to jump back into the fray, and at how close they are to their full fighting capability. Luckily for you though, Readiness is the easiest stat to influence! Readiness is degraded by simply taking action, especially consecutive actions, degrading exponentially as casualties and time mounts. Readiness can also be degraded when being put on a new assignment, or even if you keep a unit out of the fight for too long. However, by bringing units out of the fight for a rest period and bringing them into a high resupply rate can quickly regenerate their readiness. Readiness can also be affected by training, equipment, rate of supply, and morale (highly trained, well equipped and supplied, and in good spirits troops are going to be ready to fight quicker than poorly equipped conscripts on retreat).

I cannot stress the importance of the Readiness stat enough. A unit with A’s across the board for stats with F readiness may be overwhelmed by a unit with F’s across the board with A readiness. Keeping fresh troops available will be what can drive your offensives or keep hold on a key fortress or highway. I would note that a strategy that revolved around keeping your enemy’s troops in a low readiness state due to the amount of casualties they are taking can be a highly effective strategy to chip away at their numbers, morale, and objectives.

----

Specialization does not have a grade, but is instead a measure of what, if anything, a unit is good at (or a battalion attached to it). Things such as “Policing”, “Engineering”, “Anti-Partisan”, “Reconnaissance” “Mountaineer”and plenty of others can all be learned. Depending on the time period, we may get more options too such as “Airborne”, “Anti-Armor”, “Chemical” or “Minesweeper”. Specialization can be added to a unit only through training (it cannot be learned in the field), and will reduce its readiness and training for a period. However, the advantages may more than make up for it. As with normal training, giving every unit in your army a specialization will be prohibitively expensive, and you may not be able to cover every specialization. Therefore, it is important to choose wisely to build the best force that the American foreign aid budget can buy!

Also as a poll update

Real Country: 10
Fake Country: 3
Fake World: 3
Space: 1

You guys really going to make me learn things like....terrain? I can't just make stuff up? :(

Terrain

Jungle: 4
Mountains: 6
Ice: 2
Desert: 3
Forest: 2
Not Jungle: 1

Man I was in Vietraq it doesn't get realer than that

Time Period:

1920's: 6
Cold War: 5
Post Cold War: 3
Steampunk: 2
Not Steampunk: 1
Near Future: 1

What if we did a Cold War where Jazz was really popular? Or maybe the Great Depression is caused by the premature collapse of the helicopter industry (joking on both)

-A fake country in a fake world (All new cast!)

I support the motion of Belgian Congo

Sri Lanka naturally

-Jungle
-Mountainous

-Logistics Officer
-Other (fawning bureaucrat, embittered physicist)

The Bomb

Not in the slightest :p

USA #1
Fake Europe #2
Anywhere else #3

USA #1

-Post WWI/Pre WW II

VENICE!!!!!

VENICE!!!!!

I'd be chill with anything.

I defer my voting power to Nuka because I'd rather the GM be interested in the setting and give me a hell of a ride.

I also defer my voting power to Nuka because I'd rather the GM be interested in the setting and give me a hell of a ride.

Stoked about the response! I am hopefully gonna get the rules done the this weekend and should have this ready to go next week :)

Top Bottom