PREVIEW: NukaNESIOT: Commanders (Title Pending)

Nuka-sama

See ya! It has been a fun decade!
Hello! My name is Nuka. I have been a long time NESer, and have recently migrated a bit over to the IOT forums, and wanted to see how you guys do things, and bring in something of my own. This has turned into NukaNESIOT: Commander's IOT!

This NESIOT will be a Commander’s NESIOT. Players will be on two teams, with the goal of working together to inflict a total defeat upon the opposing side. The main focus on this game is military matters. Players will be responsible for ground and aerial campaigns to capture key objectives, destroy enemy armies, and demoralize the enemy's popular support. While in the field, your strategic choices are almost limitless.

Politics will play a less direct role in the game, and generally will heavily discourage players from doing things like setting up the Despotate of Cornwall, or switching over to the other side (and will likely see your troops abandon you). That being said, while it is not the direct emphasis, this war is a political conflict in nature, and actions you take /will/ impact the war. Your decision to burn a village or gun down church elders may stop the militias from fighting you, or it may cause a major uprising against you. Who knows!

With that said, here are the main roles that players can take:

Commander-in-Chief/President/Glorious Leader (Max: 1)-Is mostly responsible for the Grand Strategic Direction of his side. He will be responsible for determining which strategic objectives to pursue, coordinating his generals, assigning troops to various generals and operations, and generally keep the "Big Picture" in perspective. Though it will not be a major part of the game, this role will also include dealing with some political issues, which can have serious implications in the war.

Air Force Chief (Max: 1) -Responsible for all fixed wing aircraft operations. They will be responsible for coordinating various wings of fighters and bombers to attack enemy (or neutral!) cities, defend allied cities, support offensives, crash into buildings, whatever you'd like!

General (Max: 4) -This is where most of my players will end up as. You will be responsible for committing the strategic objectives the President set out for you in any way that you think is possible. Generally this position will include some lower level strategy and some tactics (such as do you want to take the city by going in head on? by siege? ). You will be allowed to manage your campaign based how you would like, without micromanagement from your political leader, but do keep in mind that they have control over how many troops you have and how many supplies you receive.

Other roles may be added as needed/upon request.

I will note again, that a focus on this game is cooperation with your own side. The object is not to set yourself up as a warlord, or to be a petty micromanaging tyrant, but rather to work together. While the President is officially in charge of your grand strategy, they should probably be consulting with their generals to see what they think, because if the President ignores the generals, the generals will ignore the President. To win, you’ll need to do more than your opponent can; how will you do that with one less person working with you?

So how does this actually work? Here might be an example turn:

Spoiler :
The Provisional Government of Nation (PGN) has President Player 1, Air Force Chief Player 2, and Generals Players 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Currently forces under General 3 are under siege at the key Fortress X, and has been cut off from land supply. The President and his generals agree that keeping Fortress X is a major strategic advantage, and the President orders that the generals do what they can to keep it. To do this, the President authorizes General 4 to break the siege of Fortress X and rescue the men of General 3. General 5 meanwhile is told to launch a diversionary attack toward the rebel controlled City Y and General 6 is told to set up a defensive line in the west, and using villages as a buffer zone. Air Force Chief 2 is ordered to help supply the armies of General 3 and support the other operations.

General 3 in this situation will most likely think of the best possible defensive options. Because his President has ordered him to hold the fortress, he will likely adopt a more defensive stance, but he may decide the situation is desperate and may decide to try to attack an enemy weak point to get out of siege. However, in this scenario, General 3 decides to simply launch small probing attacks to keep his enemy on their toes.

General 4, under orders to break the siege, determines that taking the roads would not only diminish the fighting capacity of his army, but also would cause him to be too late. Instead, he sends a small force by helicopter to land behind enemy lines, and attack to help break the siege of the fortress.

General 5 meanwhile, knows he cannot take City Y, but also knows that he needs to put pressure on the rebels. He decides to attack the villages near the city, beheading village elders and killing men and women and children in an effort to incite popular opinion.

General 6, under orders to create a defensive line to the west, realizes the current situation of villages puts him in a difficult situation. Several of the villages are deep within the jungle, and others are in more mountainous areas. Not only will the villages not serve as a good defensive line to protect the capital, away from the roads and from supplies, but they will also serve as potential recruiting spots for rebel recruiters. Because of this, General 6 decides it would be best to relocate their villages 10 km east, taking the villagers into a sort of tactical village project. He sends his soldiers to the villages and orders them to pack their belongings to move east.

Finally, Air Force Chief 2 is being bombarded by requests from the various generals for air support on their various operations, but also has to consider defending a variety of targets from enemy bombing. After deciding the various value of objectives and strategic importance, Air Force 2 decides to supply 1 Fighter Wing to defend the capital, 2 Fighter wings and a bomber wing to support General 4’s attack on the besiegers of Fortress X. Two bomber wings are sent to bomb rebel cities, and Air Force Chief 2 reluctantly sends his last fighter wing north to help protect his bombers instead of giving cover to General 5.

The result of the turn may play out in a variety of ways. Generals 3 and 4 will likely be involved in a battle ran over chat where they will be forced to make more tactical level decisions, such as retreat, going for a breakthrough, defending, whatever they can think of. General 5 will initially not run into much opposition, but will soon face a furious militia that attacks his troops. Furthermore, his men are demoralized because of them being forced to partake in these attacks on their fellow countrymen. General 6 is able to bring his villages into a more defensible position, however the villagers are growing increasingly sympathetic to the rebels and may play a role in future turns. Because of the Air Force Chief’s actions, the capital is able to defend itself from bombing, but City J is not. Damage to rebel cities is large, and the defense of Fortress Z is successful, though General 5 has taken more casualties than initially hoped for.

Of course, this is an incredibly simplified way to show a turn. You will have to use a wide variety of criteria to make your decision, from the physical world (terrain, weather), to the quality of your troops (their morale, equipment, training, readiness, and supplies). A major factor of this game will actually be keeping your armies in supply. While the big battles are flashy, the way to sustain a campaign is keeping your men supplied and your ability to balance the needs of your various campaigns will mean the difference between victory and defeat. Also, the devil is in the details! Simply saying “Create some fortified villages” will not cut it. But “Go into the villages A, B, C, and D simultaneously at 08:00, load them on trucks, and take them to Fortified Compound U” is definitely getting closer into the right direction

So, now that I have your attention (hopefully) I have a few questions for you on what kind of game you would like to see and fight in! And of course, please let me know if you’d like to see any additional questions, or if you have any suggestions!

Please note that this is generally a guide to gauge feedback, and may or may not be ran as "majority rules". If it's something like 50 votes for UK, 49 votes for California, I might go California, for example. However if it's 101 votes for Japan, I'm probably going to go that route. Also, there may be contradictory votes (such as people wanting to fight in a Jungle Europe) and I may have to use my discretion in those matters. Generally though, I’m fairly flexible! :)

Barring that, have fun!

What kind of country would you like to fight in?
-A real world country in an alternate history
-A fake country in the real world with the same USSR/USA you know and love!
-A fake country in a fake world (All new cast!)

If "Real World Country" in an alternate history, what country would you like to fight in?
-United Kingdom
-California
-Japan
-Other (please specify)

If "Fake Country in real world", what geographic region would you like the conflict to be fought in?
-Latin/South America
-Middle East/North Africa
-Sub-Saharan Africa
-Southeast Asia
-Europe
-Other (please specify)

What terrain would you like to fight in? (Pick 2, I see this as and/or)
-Jungle
-Desert
-Snow/Ice
-Mountainous
-Flatland/Plain
-Forest
-Other (Please Specify, Urban will be a part of the game in any choice)

Aside from the Head of State/Air Force Chief/General positions, what other positions in the NESIOT would you potentially be interested in playing?
-Special Forces Commander
-Training government forces/insurgents
-Logistics Officer
-General Staff
-City Occupation authority
-Other (please specify)

What time period would you be interested in fighting in?
-Post WWI/Pre WW II
-Cold War Era
-Post Cold War Era (1990's)

Are there any features in particular that you would like to see in the game?
-(Please Specify)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts! :D

-A fake country in a fake world (All new cast!)

If "Real World Country" in an alternate history, what country would you like to fight in?
Belgian Congo

If "Fake Country in real world", what geographic region would you like the conflict to be fought in?
-Sub-Saharan Africa

-Jungle

Aside from the Head of State/Air Force Chief/General positions, what other positions in the NESIOT would you potentially be interested in playing?

-Cold War Era

ORBITAL COMMAND

-Other (please specify)
I liked our suggestion in chat to do Canada because lol Canada. If all of Canada is too large, just Quebec could work.

-Latin/South America
EL TROPICO

-Jungle
-Forest

Did somebody say Nam flashbacks?

-Logistics Officer
-Other (please specify)
What about spies/some form of espionage?

-Post WWI/Pre WW II
-Cold War Era
-Post Cold War Era (1990's)

All three are cool, but bolded my favorite.

Cloak and Dagger mechanics. I personally find intelligence warfare to be just as fun, if not more so, than actual combat.

Also maybe navy?

subbing will read in a bit.

Post Cold War
Fake World and Cast: Mountain/Desert
Spec Ops commander/insurgent leader

It's been a while since I've seen one of these. Always liked them. I hope it works out!

-Confederate States of America (CSA CSA CSA!)

-Anything but jungle

-Post WWI/Pre WW II

Having done and seen these sort of games done before, I'd really recommend a rapid update schedule and a fluid update system as opposed to a highly structured one. In the past I've considered that possibly the best way to do an NES like this would be in "real-time" with each day passing being a day (or week) in the campaigns. It would force rapid reaction and cooperation among players and make for a far more pressing dynamic among leaders.

Having done and seen these sort of games done before, I'd really recommend a rapid update schedule and a fluid update system as opposed to a highly structured one. In the past I've considered that possibly the best way to do an NES like this would be in "real-time" with each day passing being a day (or week) in the campaigns. It would force rapid reaction and cooperation among players and make for a far more pressing dynamic among leaders.

Agreed.

This was definitely going to be the style, considering that the "updates" will take place over 1-2 weeks of game time, and the rapidly changing nature of these sort of conflicts (especially as we go later in the years)

When I last looked at the possibility of doing a Commander NES based on the Settling Accounts War I made a bunch of notes on the topic. So, I'd also like to recommend that you make sure that the two sides ought to have a large front to fight on. That's why I highly recommend that setting to you too. The border between the USA and CSA is long enough and diverse enough that there's a plethora of combat options and ideas that could be put into play. If you do a fake setting, I'd recommend a similarly sized area, especially if generals are supposed to be commanders of entire fronts.

Either, though I prefer althist to fake country.

-Former Austria-Hungary (If Post WW1)
-Finland
-Italy?

Really, most things in Central/Eastern Europe I like.

-No preferences

-Mountainous
-Snow/Ice

-General Staff

-Post WWI/Pre WW II
-Cold War Era

More Post WW1 than Cold War though

Might add later.

Though I generally was going to go for a more fluid type of war in a smaller country (think Spanish Civil War), a larger theater could be possible :)

That being said, generals may Or may not be in charge of fronts, depending on how they choose to fight, but again this is part of what this thread is about :)

Spoiler :

STEAMPUNK EUROPE. Giant steam ironclads rushing armies between mud, fire, smoke, blood and trenches. Millions of soldiers dying for old-fashioned ideologies. Great leaders as Queen Victoria, Bismarck, or Napoleon III paying a high price in human lives for just a few yards of land every day. Zeppelins and/or floating fortresses falling blown to pieces over the battlefield... That kind of world. (Something similar to Dystopian Wars maybe)

What terrain would you like to fight in?
-Flatland/Plain
-Forest

Steampunk XIXth century

- A colonial front, with isolated conflicts in Africa, Siam, or India. Technology advancement (Not controlled by PCs)
(I'll think more later)

- China

-Europe

-Desert
-Snow/Ice

-Logistics Officer

-Cold War Era

-STEAMPUNK EUROPE

Failing steampunk, as Red said, either, though I prefer the first one

-Some sort of Balkanized US - I would still play USA-CSA but I personally think that's stale and boring.
-India
-Congo
-South Africa

Any of those would be cool, and would also give a fairly wide variation of geography

-Sub-Saharan Africa

-No preference

-STEAMPUNK
-Cold War Era

-I entirely support defacto's steampunk idea.
-That failing, and if we're doing modern, I think it would be cool to have a game more focused on irregular warfare and whatnot than just straight up world war-type frontal warfare. Also, a real time element would be really cool but I can understand would be difficult to manage.

-Venezuela

-Latin/South America

-Jungle
-Mountainous

-Logistics Officer
-General Staff

All of the above.

-Post WWI/Pre WW II

Seconding Scarlet_King.

I also approve of Son's stuff.

My answer to all of the questions is "space."

Top Bottom