1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive MP game thread

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Thunderbrd, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Glad you guys brought this up as I have many questions since I've never set up a MP game that was not Direct IP (2 player and years ago!).

So if T-brd sets up the SVN I would need to get you (T-brd) all the settings/players/leaders for Game set up as well as BUG settings correct?

Or could I start a personal game with the BUG settings I want in the Con game and then supply a copy of the User Settings folder? I'm breaking new ground here so any help is welcome.

JosEPh

2. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Just guessing on some of this, but it seems to me that whoever the player is in slot 1 would have to be the person who creates the game, sets each player to their slot with their choice of Civ and Leader, and first uploads it to the SVN - along with the UserSettings folder from that game. You would have to confer with either Koshling or 12pAdams (I think) as they created the other two games.

3. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

As to how to select Teams, I can think of two possibilities.

Random. Aside from Thunderbrd and Whisperr, the rest of the players get matched by a random method. Could be rolling a die against a list. Could be we each choose a number and the pairs that have the closest numbers are paired. Or some other method.

Turn order. As Thunderbrd is going to have to create the game itself, he should be player slot 1. His wife should be slot 2, so as to keep team mates adjacent in the turn order. Most likely, I would be slot 3, as it has been shown that Thunderbrd's activity cycle and mine are very similar. Then we would construct the rest of the turn order based on people's projected activity cycles (IE, when they think they would be available to play their turn) and teams would form based on that.

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

All kinds of "new" things will be in this game. Hope an :old::cowboy: can :assimilate:this kind of :deal:.

JosEPh :run:

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah, you can start the game and set it up Joseph. I'll setup the basic SVN file structure and once you've set it up, you need to let us know what the mod name should be and include your user settings folder from that mod folder under your game's folder in the SVN so we can all take the main mod folder, place a copy in the mods folder in Beyond the Sword, name it the way you instruct, and place your user settings folder inside that mods folder. Then we are off to the races. You will need to know the player order and set our leader/nation selections and difficulty levels and leave those slots 'human' as opposed to AI or Closed. Once we log in to an open human turn, we'll be dedicating ourselves to that turn. In the first round we can change some options like our nation's name and set our password.

@Magnus:
    the third part option was the way I was assuming we'd go about it: make an offer to someone who's put their name in the roster that you want to team up with and see if they would be as willing. Otherwise both of your methods seem appropriate if y'all would prefer to mix things up.

I'll need a vote off from the players here as to what method we should use for that then.

So do we want
    1) Random
    2) Mock Turn order setup
    3) Player selected

2 has the strongest opportunity to get us the fastest game cycle I guess.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

So with Harrier this game now has 7 players?

To be clear I select Multiplayer/Pbem, set the Map and it's settings and then Game options. Then I add players (selected leaders) to the slots using Human in the order of play that we want for the game.

I then start the game (so I would have to be 1st player listed) and set the BUG settings. And then save that game to get the User Settings folder set.

Then abandon that MP game but keep the User Settings folder for the Conservative game to be set up thru the SVN.

Once in the SVN recreate the Multiplayer/Pbem so that it can be made into a Mod for the BtS/Mod folder (using a specific name such as C2C Con) as the 2 previous games were done.

Am I getting this straight?

Sidenote: I still have no word from Vokarya.

JosEPh

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

And we may get Pepper2000 in on this too (and you haven't heard from Vokarya but I strongly assume it's unlikely he'd want to play this game, maybe yours though.)

You've got it right up to this point.
    You'd take your turn (you're going to have to be the first player) and include the turns document, User Settings folder and savegame in the game's new folder I'll have setup for you in the SVN source file structure. Then the next player would need to put the mod folder together with the core mod data in our MP SVN, using the name you choose for the mod folder for this game and including your user settings folder in that mod. Then they'd take their turn, update the savegame and turn sequence document and it's onto the next player and so on.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Also:

We can choose our leaders/nations here but it's really only meaningful for the leader avatar, flag, and base culture (heritage) that you'll have. So be giving that some consideration. I can always randomize for you if you have no preference.

I think one of the best ways we can determine the teams would be to run a mock turn taking cycle here. Once we start the mock turn, each player posts at the time that it would be best for them to take their turn and the order in which we post at the best time for us to take our turns will determine the order I set us up in, which should also thus determine the teams we're a part of.

We just need one more player.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Also... difficulty level should be Immortal for this game, given that we have AI players. Perhaps if someone has to play on their own then we could make them start with a difficulty level less to help to compensate a bit. But I'm hoping we can get one more dedicated player here...

10. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Despite suggesting 1 and 2, I have no strong preference toward any of the three methods.

A "mock turn" could work, but it could also work if we just post our available game play times, probably adjusted to UTC0 (zero) for comparison purposes.
    At this time, my available times are: (all times approximate and UTC0)
    Sunday: 2am to 7am
    Monday: 6pm to 7am
    Tuesday: 6pm to 7pm and 4am to 7am
    Wednesday: 6pm to 7am
    Thursday: 6pm to 7pm and 4am to 7am
    Friday: 6pm to 7pm and 4am to 7am
    Saturday: 6pm to 7am
    Of course, the above will change as my work schedule is subject to the seemingly random whims of the managers, but the overall pattern should remain consistent, just on different days.

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Magnus and I have agreed we can be a team. We have compatible play styles and timezones. We'll confirm leaders later, but tentatively I plan to take Alexander if that is ok...?

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Alexander it is!

And you and Magnus should make a fine team I think.

Pepper turned us down so anyone have any ideas as to who else we may be able to enlist here? We need one more player... I'm going to start asking in the main. (Hydro... it would be REALLY cool if you changed your mind here!)

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If you can't find another player I'll volunteer to go it alone.

Or I can play 2 Empires and be my own team member.

And you have decided to Pick leaders for this game too?

JosEPh

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I was thinking this might be a solution but it could only work for a player that's really dedicated. You'd be a good one for it :D

With this game you can pick your leader or randomize at your option. It means only a few lesser factors. I'm probably going to pick a different leader here than I do for yours because you aren't picking leaders for their traits here since we're using Developing Leaders.

15. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I was talking to my gf, she seems interested to play this game with me. I was trying to teach her how to play, but those pesky OOSs have made her quit the experience.

But in PBEM there are no OOSs, so I talked to her and she said she could join us if she plays with me.

So, if you all think this is ok, then we have a team

16. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Have her play some single player to get the hang of the game, if she has not done so already. Also, make sure she is aware that she will be expected to take at least one turn per day. Probably obvious, but she should probably join the forum so as to keep up with things.

What is her history with Civ4, and C2C? This specific multiplayer game would not be a good thing to subject a new player to. In other words, if she knows what she is doing with the game, it should be fine, so long as she can be active.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Sure! For further practice, OOS errors should be minimal now and if you have any trouble with them we can work through how to debug them. If she can cover for you when you've got 'time outs' that would be a great team for you. Having you to advise will help her and I'm sure you may both need some practice gaming to get up to speed with some of these options anyhow.

Always nice to be able to talk directly with your teammate. I know I speak for Whisperr a lot but she does have a registration on the web here... is your GF as proficient with English as you so she can say hello to us?

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

So we have:
    Thunderbrd(leader tbd)/Whisperr(leader tbd)

Spirictum(leader tbd)/His Girlfriend(who needs to get registered on CFC and say hello!)(leader tbd)

Joseph_II(leader tbd)/Harrier (leader tbd) (Good team up I think! You guys cool with this?)

Koshling(Alexander)/MagnusIlluminus(leader tbd)

Need to know if this order seems to be the best to y'all. Based on the players involved, and the times I've seen them active, this is my best guess for a good cycle.
    Leaders need to be determined as well.

And are we all cool with Immortal or do we want to knock it down a notch? We have Emperor on the other game but no AI players. I'm proposing Immortal because it seems a better fit with AIs in play.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I have no problems.

And Vokarya declined both games.

JosEPh

20. Acularius

Acularius King

I'll definitely watch how this develops. So I would like to echo an earlier comment in that I would love to hear the going on's of the match.
    Aside from the tech trading, and the reasoning behind it... the settings are typically aligned with mine. (Aside from the lack of terrain damage.)