Project announcement: European Wars MOD

imperator1961

Last of the Mohicans

I always should have a Mod that start at the end of MEM and go to XX century. So now I want make a new Mod named European Wars.

TIME SPAN: from 1550 to 1890.
MAP: Europe map like those used in MEM
CIVILIZATIONS:
France
England
Spain
Portugal
Sweden
Denmark
Holy Roman Empire
Teutonic-Prussia
Tsardon of Russia
Poland-Lithuania
Hungary
Ottoman Turks
Mameluks
Venice
Papal States
Morocco
Dutch
Habsburg
Brandeburg
Saxony
Savoy
Switzerland

Maybe:
Scotland
Georgia
Ireland

For yhis Mod I need help from other civfanatics, I dont'want make all by myself, instead I should prefer a team.
I need unitmakers (Sandris, where you are?), uniforms pictures, and help making the mod. So if others are intersted in a Mod like this, please post here.
Thanks.

I thought you were aiming at something that starts with Renaissance and ends around Napoleonic Wars (or WW1 at best), since that's about as much as you can get on local scale. If you go further you'll have to concede to gross simplification of WW1, WW2 and Modern Times. But I guess it can work too.

Some suggestions regarding the civs:
Teutonic Prussia -> Ducal Prussia (more apt name)
Tsardon -> Tsardom (spelling),
If you call these like that, you might as well call other civs in fuller name e.g. Ottoman Empire, Swiss Confederacy (more apt name again).

Wouldn't Hungary be part of Habsburg possesions since 1550 already?

Mamluk Egypt was conquered Ottoman control in 1517. You could start the mod a bit earlier, in 1500 or so, to include the struggling Mamluk Sultanate.

I'd also suggest including Cossacks. They'd be a great trouble maker for Russia and Poland-Lithuania. It'd make it easier to balance these 2 big civs' power.

I thought you were aiming at something that starts with Renaissance and ends around Napoleonic Wars (or WW1 at best), since that's about as much as you can get on local scale. If you go further you'll have to concede to gross simplification of WW1, WW2 and Modern Times. But I guess it can work too.

Some suggestions regarding the civs:
Teutonic Prussia -> Ducal Prussia (more apt name)
Tsardon -> Tsardom (spelling),
If you call these like that, you might as well call other civs in fuller name e.g. Ottoman Empire, Swiss Confederacy (more apt name again).

Wouldn't Hungary be part of Habsburg possesions since 1550 already?

Mamluk Egypt was conquered Ottoman control in 1517. You could start the mod a bit earlier, in 1500 or so, to include the struggling Mamluk Sultanate.

I'd also suggest including Cossacks. They'd be a great trouble maker for Russia and Poland-Lithuania. It'd make it easier to balance these 2 big civs' power.

Your suggestions are too right. Interesting the add of a cossack civ.
As for the time span of the Mod my idea is to start in 1550 and end in 1890 as stated in first post so avoiding WWI, WWII and so on.

Oh, and another small civ to fill the Russian steppes: Crimean Khanate, it lasted till the 18th century.

I was thinking on making just like embryodead said, a Renaissance and finishing around the Victorian Age, but i think you beat me to the idea. Just a couple of thing:

1. EB and Yoda Power did a lot of reasearch to put together the rules and flavors of MEM. If you want to put a team for a mod, you need to get around how to put differents process and ideas into Civilization, how to get around the editor and the rules alowing not only to be historically similar, but also fun to play.
2. You will need to have paitience, not only with the people working with you, but also with graphic makers and unit makers, and also be sure that you will be investing time on this.
3. More expirienced modders can help you telling you which tools are better for editting, adding stuff, etc, I think those two (ED and YP) can tip you on making amazing mods.
4. you can count me in.

the first thing that I think on modmaking is what to play, where to play and who to play: We now that is a Europian Mod, but maps can vary: You can create a map of your own for this. Also, you need to limit the mod: Is you play 4 centuries of europian history (15 to 19) you need to divided it in 4 eras: Renaissance, Age of Exploration, Age of Nationalism, Age of Imperialism. Everyone should take care of around 120 years. Also, you need to choose to play on a full map or a naked map.

And my list of Civs:

Spain
Portugal
France
Dutchland
England
Austria
Holy Roman Empire
Prussia
Russia
Poland-Lithuania
Ottomans Turks
Crimean Turks
Kazán Kaghanate
Barbary Pirates
Rumania-Wallaquia
Serbia
Denmark-Norway
Sweden
Venice
Swizterland
Savoy
Cossacks?
Hungary?
Georgia?
Sicily?
Egypt?
Ireland?
Scotland?

PD: My first lenguage is not english, so sorry for any big mistakes on writing.

On this page, you'll find unit lines for 25 civ of this era.

Including from your scenario

France
England
Spain
Sweden (as Scandinavia)
Prussia (as Germany)
Russia
Ottoman Turks
Mameluks
Italy
Morocco

When the unit is not available, I tried to propose a reference picture (click ont he thumbnail to get it full size, and name of the file explains what it is)

I was thinking on making just like embryodead said, a Renaissance and finishing around the Victorian Age, but i think you beat me to the idea. Just a couple of thing:

1. EB and Yoda Power did a lot of reasearch to put together the rules and flavors of MEM. If you want to put a team for a mod, you need to get around how to put differents process and ideas into Civilization, how to get around the editor and the rules alowing not only to be historically similar, but also fun to play.
2. You will need to have paitience, not only with the people working with you, but also with graphic makers and unit makers, and also be sure that you will be investing time on this.
3. More expirienced modders can help you telling you which tools are better for editting, adding stuff, etc, I think those two (ED and YP) can tip you on making amazing mods.
4. you can count me in.

the first thing that I think on modmaking is what to play, where to play and who to play: We now that is a Europian Mod, but maps can vary: You can create a map of your own for this. Also, you need to limit the mod: Is you play 4 centuries of europian history (15 to 19) you need to divided it in 4 eras: Renaissance, Age of Exploration, Age of Nationalism, Age of Imperialism. Everyone should take care of around 120 years. Also, you need to choose to play on a full map or a naked map.

And my list of Civs:

Spain
Portugal
France
Dutchland
England
Austria
Holy Roman Empire
Prussia
Russia
Poland-Lithuania
Ottomans Turks
Crimean Turks
Kazán Kaghanate
Barbary Pirates
Rumania-Wallaquia
Serbia
Denmark-Norway
Sweden
Venice
Swizterland
Savoy
Cossacks?
Hungary?
Georgia?
Sicily?
Egypt?
Ireland?
Scotland?

PD: My first lenguage is not english, so sorry for any big mistakes on writing.

I agree totally with you. Your civ list is the same I have in mind in these days. I would only delete sicily (mainly under spanish control) Hungary (mainy under Ottoman control, the rest under Habsburg) and Ireland. Egypt was under control of Ottomas. So we need to take 31 civs?
The time spam of mod would be start in 1559 (when Charles V split his Empire in two between his son and his brother) and 1890-1895.
Why not the europe map used in MEM? I don't know how to make a map, but if you know a better map of europe, tell me. The only thing is to have a huge map of europe.

Indeed, Ireland was both shattered by internal conflicts and the 1500's marked the beginning of British invasion. Granted the only part of Ireland that was "British" was the Pale and parts of Munster, in a game of Civ it's fair to just stick a pile of barbarian units in the west and north and give the British Dublin and Cork.

I don´t think that the MEM map should work in here... We need a map that has more space in central and western Europe; I'll try next week to make one, without resources.
I'm working also on creating a database (on Excel) of the civs, leaders, abilities, etc. so everybody that is contributing on the mod could keep it up with it.

I agree totally with you. Your civ list is the same I have in mind in these days. I would only delete sicily (mainly under spanish control) Hungary (mainy under Ottoman control, the rest under Habsburg) and Ireland. Egypt was under control of Ottomas. So we need to take 31 civs?
The time spam of mod would be start in 1559 (when Charles V split his Empire in two between his son and his brother) and 1890-1895.
Why not the europe map used in MEM? I don't know how to make a map, but if you know a better map of europe, tell me. The only thing is to have a huge map of europe.

I rather have the Mod starting on 1517, the year Egypt was conquer by the Ottomans and Luther publish the 95 Thesis, I bealive is a good starting point. That's why I want to make a new map: I want to include Poland and Lithuania split and have Bavaria and Scotland in the map. But also you want France, England, Russia to be powerhouses in the game.
So, we put cities/units/imnprovements in the map, or just the starting locations and let the AI figure it out?

I rather have the Mod starting on 1517, the year Egypt was conquer by the Ottomans and Luther publish the 95 Thesis, I bealive is a good starting point. That's why I want to make a new map: I want to include Poland and Lithuania split and have Bavaria and Scotland in the map. But also you want France, England, Russia to be powerhouses in the game.
So, we put cities/units/imnprovements in the map, or just the starting locations and let the AI figure it out?

My idea to start in 1559 was because MEM end in 1550 and in that year Charles V split in two parts his Empire. The problem to start in 1517 is that we have Spain, Dutch, Germany, South Italy, Hungary under only one civ.
Poland-Lithuania: the Kingdom od Poland and the Duchy of Lithuania have for many years the same history under a Polish king so I think is better to take they under a single civ. Bavaria and Scotland good idea. Actually I'm making some scottish units.:goodjob:
If you can make a new map of europe I think it is the best; I prefer put cities/units/improveent on the map, it'more historical.;)

Poland-Lithuania from Wikipedia:

With the death of Casimir the Great the period of hereditary monarchy in Poland ended, as Casimir did not have any male heirs to succeed him. The land owners and nobles did not want a strong monarchy. A constitutional monarchy was established between 1370 and 1493.

During the reign of King Louis I Poland formed a union with Hungary. This union was known as the Privilege of Koszyce. This union lasted for twelve years and ended in war. The failure of the union of Poland and Hungary paved the way for the union of Lithuania and Poland.

In 1385, the Union of Krewo was signed between Louis' daughter Jadwiga and Jogaila, the Grand Duke of Lithuania (later known as Władysław II Jagiełło), beginning the Polish-Lithuanian Union and strengthening both nations in their shared opposition to the Teutonic Knights and the growing threat of the Grand Duchy of Moscow.

Between 1386 and 1572 Poland and Lithuania were ruled by a succession of constitutional monarchs of the Jagiellon dynasty. The political influence of the Jagiellon kings was diminishing during this period, which was accompanied by the ever increasing role in central government and national affairs of landed nobility. The royal dynasty however had a stabilizing effect on Poland's politics. The Jagiellon Era is often regarded as a period of maximum political power, great prosperity, and in its later stage the Golden Age of Polish culture.

The first king of the new dynasty was the Grand Duke of Lithuania Jogaila, or Ladislaus II as the King of Poland. He was elected a King of Poland after becoming a Christian and marrying Jadwiga of Anjou, daughter of Louis I, who was Queen of Poland in her own right. Władysław Jagiełło was later the victor in the famous Grunwald Battle. Two of the Jagiellon rulers after him enjoyed long and successful reigns. Casimir Jagiellończyk fought the Teutonic Order, and Sigismund I the Old supported the arts and built the presently existing Wawel Renaissance castle. Sigismund II had no children, thus ending Poland's last hereditary succession.

The personal union with the Grand Duchy of Lithuania located north-east of Poland paved the way for closer relations of the two states. By the Union of Lublin in 1569 a unified Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpospolita) was created, stretching from the Baltic Sea and the Carpathian mountains to present-day Belarus and western and central Ukraine (which earlier had been Kievan Rus' principalities).

The Teutonic Knights, in control of Prussia since the 13th century, were defeated by a combined Polish-Lithuanian force in 1410 in the Battle of Grunwald, and in the later Thirteen Years War. In the Second Peace of Thorn (1466) they had to surrender the western half of their territory to the Polish crown (the areas known afterwards as Royal Prussia), and to accept Polish-Lithuanian suzerainty over the remainder (the later Ducal Prussia).

During this period Poland became the home to Europe's largest Jewish population, as royal edicts guaranteeing Jewish safety and religious freedom, issued during the 13th century, contrasted with bouts of persecution in Western Europe. This persecution intensified following the Black Death of 1348–1349, when some in the West blamed the outbreak of the plague on the Jews. Much of Poland was spared from this disease, and Jewish immigration brought their valuable contributions and abilities to the rising state. The greatest increase in Jewish population occurred in the 18th century, when the Jews constituted up to 7% of the population.

This is correct, making Poland & Lithuania separate makes no sense. It was also the powerhouse of the era.

I may be biased but I think MEM map is ok for this - it has an optimal size-to-performance ratio and at least you can include more civs from all over the continent and its surroudings, not just focus on Western Europe.

Great idea ! :)

Also, I think it would be much correct to name Russian civ as Russia. Tsardom of Russia (Rus, Kingdom of Russia, Kingdom of Muscovy) was the official name only since 1547 until 1721. The official name since 1721 until 1917 became Russian Empire and the title of "Tsar" (King) officially was changed into the "Emperor".

Also, I`m not sure if it`s reasonable to make a separate Cossack` civ. For the first time they became mercenaries in Russian army and later they became an elite force (especially cavalry) in Russian army as an ordinary Russian soldiers. Also, they lived in villages and had no towns/cities to be represented as a developed civilization.

I have plans to make lots of units for the 1500-1900 period, but first I have to finish at least Ancient-Medieval units for main civs. :)

Well, Baturyn had city rights and Zaporozhian Sich was basically a fortified town. They did not become part of Russia until 1654 after all, and before that they were only nominally under Commonwealth's control, in practice independent, fighting mostly with Ottomans and Tatars. I think a small civ with 2 cities would be a nice twist, which doesn't exclude Cossack troops in Commonwealth/Russian armies.

I agree about more general names like Russia.

My idea for a new map was because you cut some space in the East, mainly the Ottomans and the Russian (so they don´t dominate heavily) and giving more space to civs like Bavaria, Dutchland and Switzerland. Remember, this MOD? Scenario? goes until the late XIX century, from the age of musket until infantry. That's a lot of years and things that happened between.

@ED: Generic Names on Civs rulz!

My revised Civ List

1. England
2. France
3. Austria
4. Prussia
5. Sweden
6. Denmark-Norway
7. Holland
8. Russia
9. Poland-Lithuania
10. Venice
11. Savoy
12. Papal States
13. Spain
14. Portugal
15. Naples-Sicily
16. Switzerland
17. Holy Roman Empire
18. Bavaria
19. Crimean Turks
20. Ottomans
21. Barbary States
22. Morocco
23. Dunabian Principates
24. Ireland

This leaves space for 7 more Civs: The ones that I was thinking, Kazan Khaganate (gone to early) Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece (gain indepence from the Ottomans in the XIX C.) Georgia (u other Caucasian Civ) Persia (if we use the same map as MEM) Cossacks (a Buffer in East Europe) Scotland (gone too early) Saxony (this actually will became part of the HRE) Teutonic Knights (Prussia...)
Any more ideas?

Egypt, while it was conquered by the Ottomans 1517, it retained a Semi-Independent Status.
Plus, I think it would be a Interesting :goodjob: Late Game Civ.
Under Muhammad Ali Pasha, Egypt nearly conquered :eek: the Ottoman Empire, and was only stopped with the help of
several European Powers!

Also, if the map is large enough you could include Persia as a Eastern Rival to the Ottomans.

Top Bottom