Q&A with Dennis Shirk

I don't understand the hostility, hate, and resistance the Zulu get from some players.

With the exception of Portugal, I'd rather have the Zulu over any currently excluded European civilization.

They can be fun to play and Shaka makes for an entertaining personality. What's not to like?

I don't understand the hostility, hate, and resistance the Zulu get from some players.

With the exception of Portugal, I'd rather have the Zulu over any currently excluded European civilization.

They can be fun to play and Shaka makes for an entertaining personality. What's not to like?

I've done my share of complainining with The XCOM Squad, it's another civ to blast and nuke the others with, In Civ 5 Shaka can be given a brand new ability unlike the previous games? So why not?

Besides people have complained of lack of respresntation in Africa, and now that we're given, we're still complaining.. Ahh, don't you just love us Fanatics?

I'm not fond of the Zulu, but I don't stand against the inclusion of any civ. The argument that some group is "undeserving" or "unqualified" reeks of snobbery and ignorance of the highest degree. Has Firaxis ever stated their qualifications? No. Do they even have any qualifications? Judging by the existing examples of the products of their selection process, the only things that qualify are a fun, unique playstyle and appeal to the fanbase. Basically, the rule of cool. They don't care about how advanced a culture is or whether it represents some geographical area or if its conquests spanned a continent. Just because you feel that they should observe whatever rules of selection you prefer, doesn't mean that they made the wrong choice when you don't like it.

I'd rather have Shaka (who I fondly remember from 4) than, for example, more Native Americans and especially more Europeans. I want more Asia and more Africa, and the Zulu, like it or not, are an exemplar of South Africa. It's not like the Huns, who I think were truly undeserving (its telling that they had to steal city names in order to make that Civ work).

Now, for dark horse, if they really wanted to mess with people, they'd put in the Boer with De La Rey. Technically African, but also European...

Shaka (who I fondly remember from 4)

A war verse Shaka and a force of Impi in Civ III was the single moment I became addicted to the series. I somehow still remember the map layout after ten years of playing the rest of the series.

Well that definitely should not be the reason to include leaders or civilizations. I also think you might be wrong about Shaka being better known than any Belgian monarch. Leopold II of Belgium is quite well known. Mostly because of what happened in Kongo.

Zulus and Shaka might be known in UK and US(?), but that is not the whole world.

Oh, I agree with you that that shouldn't be why. I was more making a point that just because you may not have heard of something doesn't make it unimportant. That post should be read in the context of the post I made just before it.
And I'm pretty sure that Shaka is better known than Leopold II, though that's probably the least important of all of the points I made.

What some people here need to understand is that just because a civilization didn't have any direct impact on your society, it doesn't make them unimportant or, a word that has been thrown around here time and time again, "unworthy". That's just plain ignorance on your part.

As long as the Zulu has their own unique flavour, just like every other civ in the game they qualify for an inclusion in my opinion.

hahaha hey...hey guys...remember when we all fought over the african civ with a rich cultural history, a renown empire, with one notable victory to its name (zulu)...and that civ was put in along with the Polish who have how many fair, major victories? how many victories against major powers such as Sweden? or Germany later on? How different from eastern european culture? how divided of a kingdom both in government (poland vs. Lithuania) and ethnicity (Nordic features near baltic, slavic/eastern inland)??????

I'm Polish, is it Bigotry to point these things out?

Besides people have complained of lack of respresntation in Africa, and now that we're given, we're still complaining.. Ahh, don't you just love us Fanatics?

At least my point has been all the time that they should have more civs from Africa, but more deserving, more historically important and more interesting than Zulus. Civs like Ashanti, Benin and Kongo would be better choices.

The Zulus are more prominent in the public mind, and are important in Europe's colonial past with Africa.

The Zulus are more prominent in the public mind, and are important in Europe's colonial past with Africa.

And also they have a true influence and legacy in southern Africa even nowadays.

I'm glad they're back. I can't wait to be rushes by a spear welding lunatic.

Since they're already doing ethnicities (Polynesia) I think the Bantu would be a much better choice than the Zulu...

But I won't complain so long as Vietnam gets in.

At least my point has been all the time that they should have more civs from Africa, but more deserving, more historically important and more interesting than Zulus. Civs like Ashanti, Benin and Kongo would be better choices.

I still hope at least one more African civ gets in... But I suppose that's quite unlikely... Still, hope's the last thing to die, right?

Top Bottom