Queen Elizabeth I

LouisPhilippe

Chieftain
Queen Elizabeth I of England may have realized that any man that she would wed would expect to become King of England. He might take all authority away from her as Queen.
When Princess Elizabeth was seventeen, preliminary negotiations were taking place for her to marry Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark.

What do you want to discuss here?

I imagine the fate of her sister Mary weighed heavily on her mind. Mary's marriage to Felipe II really did a lot to torpedo the popularity and legitimacy she had going in to her reign.

The impression I got is that Mary and Elizabeth would never have been able to choose a husband that would have pleased everyone - some said pick a foreigner for the military alliance, while others said pick an Englishman because he wouldn't have divided loyalties. People would criticize no matter what they did.

I think Anne Boleyn's fate might also have had in impact on Elizabeth's decision, as well. It's reasonable to think that she wouldn't have wanted any man to ever again have the power of life and death over her or anyone she cared about.

I imagine the fate of her sister Mary weighed heavily on her mind. Mary's marriage to Felipe II really did a lot to torpedo the popularity and legitimacy she had going in to her reign.

There was a rather good argument on here a while ago arguing that 'good queen Bess' was totally unworthy of the name, particularly with regard to how she handled Ireland. I can't remember where exactly it came from: do you happen to remember it?

It's been suggested that Queen Liz's problem was she played the marriage game too long. She strung out negotiations between potential suitors to the point where they started to catch on that she wasn't interested in their suitor and the offers started to slowly stop arriving, which was made worse the more her age increased.

She was in a bit of a bind with the suit of Phillip II. She couldn't accept it as her reign was new and rather uncertain, and everybody knew that Spain would demand more authority for Phillip than he was granted by Mary. (In modern terms Phillip & Mary's marriage agreement makes if very clear that he is not here to be king, but to provide the Y chromosome required to create the real king). However, Liz couldn't outright reject it either as Phil was helping keep the Pope off of her Protestant back.

I always thought that purposed match with King Eric XVI of Sweden would have created a fun PU in Northern Europe led by 2 monarchs who went a bit loopy in their later years.

Princess Elizabeth refused to entertain the marriage with Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy and Prince of Piedmont.

Emmanuel Philibert was the cousin of King Philip II of Spain. Philip II had been married to Elizabeth's sister, Queen Mary.

Yeah, but... "Philibert".

You just don't compromise on some things.

Felipe, Feliberto...it's all the same in the end. Or at least in the start. And the middle. End's different.

François (Francis) wanted to be crowned King after he and Elizabeth married. He wanted to receive a pension of 60,000 pounds a year. He wanted to have equal rights to the Queen in allocating gifts of Crown possessions.

Top Bottom