Question about Eric Rudolph

blindside

formerly god
I was wondering why Eric Rudolph is not considered a terrorist. Usually the term is thrown about pretty freely but here's a guy who seems to fit hte description yet none of the news media has labled him as such.

Eric Rudolph is a terrorist. Don't let the media fool you.

Yom said:
Eric Rudolph is a terrorist. Don't let the media fool you.
I know that. I'm just curious as to why he is not labeled as one especially in this day and age when the term is very popular amongst the media and government.

blindside said:
I know that. I'm just curious as to why he is not labeled as one especially in this day and age when the term is very popular amongst the media and government.
Because public opinion deems that terrorist must be foreigners. Timothy McVeigh was certainly a terrorist; even though is sometimes referred to as such, he is often just referred to as a criminal.

I have no idea who this guy is(apparently because he isn't in the media), but he sounds white, so obviously he can't be a terrorist.

Rudolph, Paul Hill, James Kopp and the other nutcases who shoot doctors and burn or bomb clinics that perform abortions, then claim that they're doing God's work certainly are terrorists. Of course if the press regularly identified them as terrorists that might lead people to think that the "right to life" organizations that spawn these guys and provide them with moral support are terrorist organizations. And that wouldn't go over well with the conservative politicians who cater to them.

well the word isnt terrorist anymore, its terrsst

and its used only to describe people with darker skin and dark hair from the middle east, be it they are blowing up civilians for political reasons, defending their country from invaders or walking in the street ;)

ask fox news, theyll point you in the right direction

From Rotten.com:

Timeline
19 Sep 1966 Eric Robert Rudolph born.
27 Jul 1996 Olympic Park Bombing, Atlanta. Alice Hawthorne is killed and 111 others are injured.
21 Feb 1997 Two bombs at the Otherside Lounge, a lesbian nightclub in Atlanta GA, one of which fails to detonate.
29 Jan 1998 A bomb at the New Woman All Women Clinic (where abortions are sometimes performed) explodes, killing off-duty police officer Robert Sanderson, Birmingham AL. Another person, Emily Lyons, is seriously wounded.
7 Feb 1998 Rudolph's truck recovered, Murphy NC.
14 Feb 1998 Charges filed against Rudolph for the Birmingham clinic bombing.
7 Mar 1998 Eric's brother, Daniel, cuts his hand off with a radial arm saw, videotaping the event in protest of his brother's... umm, something. Doctors reattach the hand for some strange reason -- clearly the man didn't want it.
5 May 1998 Eric Rudolph placed on Ten Most Wanted list.
31 May 2003 Fugitive Eric Rudolph arrested as he rummages through a dumpster, Murphy NC.
11 Dec 2003 Attorney General John Ashcroft authorizes prosecutors to seek the death penalty.

Sounds like a terrorist to me.

ainwood said:
Moderator Action: People - PLEASE control yourselves and resist posting these types of satirical observations, especially if they add NOTHING to answer the question posed....

if i dont get to be a wiseass, what should i do here?
do the same political discussion that has been beaten to death a gajilion times already?

yeah, add something to the conversation folks, thatll change something somewhere, im sure...

not

Jawz II said:
if i dont get to be a wiseass, what should i do here?
do the same political discussion that has been beaten to death a gajilion times already?

yeah, add something to the conversation folks, thatll change something somewhere, im sure...

not
Moderator Action: And that kind of post should have been handled via PM. Warned.

Yom said:
Because public opinion deems that terrorist must be foreigners.
Cute.

The reason the word "terrorist" is not used for this guy is for the same reason it isn't used for Zarqawi or what have you is because a lot of these outlets have decided that the term "terrorist" isn't neutral and should not be used. That's why in Iraq, you aren't kidnapped by terrorists, you're kidnapped by "anti-occupation insurgents."

It could be that they are using alterative names for terrorist, like extremist and such.

In case, I remember point out an embassing fact. It took several years to capture a lone nut out in the heart of America and with all local authorities and average citizenns cooperating. What if it he had been a nut in a foreign land, with lots of followers, local authories and inhabitants all keep him away from justice. How long would that take, you figure? 10, 15, 20 years?

But we don't have to figure, for this is real, and his name is Osama bin Landen.

cause he's a white christian thats why. We have plenty of wackos here in in America who might blow things up, but if they're white, we dont talk about them much. it would make fighting the war on terror too hard

rmsharpe said:
Condescending.

rmsharpe said:
The reason the word "terrorist" is not used for this guy is for the same reason it isn't used for Zarqawi or what have you is because a lot of these outlets have decided that the term "terrorist" isn't neutral and should not be used. That's why in Iraq, you aren't kidnapped by terrorists, you're kidnapped by "anti-occupation insurgents."
Who said it must be neutral to be used? The term "murderer" surely contains negative connotations, but it's still used when appropriate. Besides, the appelations "anti-occupation insurgent" and "terrorist" are not mutually exclusive. One can be an Iraqi "anti-occupation insurgent" and not a "terrorist" as well as vice versa.

Top Bottom