Question for Britons

Lets say we have an homogeneous population with same language and accent.

Took about 10 % of this population and send them to colonize a far away virgin territory, within a few generation, they will develop their own different accent ( different then their home country ).

I once was told the typical american accent is the original british accent. And that the british changed theirs.

Is this bull? Could be true I think.

It's bull :p

Originally posted by Stapel
You don't seem to be neutral on this one, Pillager!

Nope. :p

What you may be thinking of is other aspects of American culture/language, as opposed to the accent.

For example, many American spellings are just what we used to use prior (and in some cases post) the beginning of the 19th century. If you look at British political cartoons from as late as the middle of the 19th C in seom cases, you will see 'American' spellings', such as 'honor', 'realize', etc. While I enjoy ribbing the Aericans about their spellings, we don't really have a leg to stand on. It's we who changed in most cases, not them.

Also, a few weights and measurements in the US are 'truer' than they are here. Nearly all are the same (all distances for e.g.) but some weights and liquid measurements are slightly different. I've written about this before, BTW. The American ton is 2000lbs, ours is 2240lbs, the American pint is 16 fl. oz., ours is 20 fl. oz. As the gallon is based on the pint (8 pints) our gallon is larger too. These differences are due to changes we made in IIRC the 1820s.

You could be right! It was a while back when I heard so. Glad to hear there is some truth in it!

I did know about the gallon (3.8 vs 4.5 litres), but not about others.

Aren't the british 'forced' into the metric system? :D :lol:

It's so much easier!

All accents vary with distance.
Even in very large citys you have different accents in the varous parts of the city.
East London has the cockney.
Broklyn NY sound different that the Bronx.
Accents usually vary from city to city.

Americians sound different than the english because they are so far from England. French Canadians have a different accent than the French.

It goes on and on....

Hey MrPresident, I always assumed you were a southern nonce from Brighton or somewhere silly like that.

So many northerners here, and a few southerners. Just to throw a spanner in the works I come (originally) form Nottingham, and as such I and almost 'accent neutral', in that we midlanders speak with none of that poncy southern crap, and none of that abbreviated northern nonsense. :lol:

Aren't the british 'forced' into the metric system? :D :lol:

We are, although the bastards haven't won yet :D

"I hate these northern monkies!"

- quote from Lock Stock...

:lol:

What is Tony Blair's English? poof or pansy? If so, what is Thatcher's?

Do Londoners understand a Liverpudlian speaking his 'street language'?

No. Normal people don't understand Scouse gits. I had dinner with four of them in a London restaurant a few years back, and quite frankly understood less than I do when dining with Cantonese speakers.

We in London have the opprtunity to speak either a slightly less hoighty-toighty version of the Queen's English, though pronounced correctly, or the more drawn out Ladspeak which features a lot more Ah's than are neccessary.

Love becomes Lahv, Mate becomes Maaite! Otherwise still closer to the Queen's English than anyone north, or west of London.

Examples;

Londoner: I went to the pub and had a pint of lager.

or I went daaaan ve boozer, sank a few and got me 'ed smashed in.

Northerner: I went down pub t'day wi' me whippet and prices wu too high fer uz, like. So I went 'ome.

;) Just kidding.

Hey MrPresident, I always assumed you were a southern nonce from Brighton or somewhere silly like that.
You assumed wrong. I am a Yorkshireman not some sort of Southern pansy.

I would say that there are more disctinctive accents in the British Isles than in America. Which makes it very annoying when foreigners, especially Americans, refer to the British accent as if there is only one.

I would say that there are more disctinctive accents in the British Isles than in America. Which makes it very annoying when foreigners, especially Americans, refer to the British accent as if there is only one.
That's because they have only seen crappy brittish films with mockneys in.

Oh, and I suppose they seen a film with 'euro-scottish' people in (trainspotting).

I once was told the typical american accent is the original british accent. And that the british changed theirs.

That statement would get you lynched in any UK city.

The original Yank colonial types from UK stock used to have fine Brit accents,
but dispensed with them, in favour of that lovable twang we all know and adore! ;)

Originally posted by anarres
Oh, and I suppose they seen a film with 'euro-scottish' people in (trainspotting).

'Smack-spotting' is the biggest pile of dung since Jumbo the elephant had dysentery. :nya:

Tries to make out our junkies and creeps in Scotland have a cool lifestlye, and dress rather snappy.

Come to Edinburger or Glasgow and see the reality!

BTW Curt, Celtic or Rangers?

Always good to know which side of someone's bread is buttered. ;)

Originally posted by JoeM
Examples;

Londoner: I went to the pub and had a pint of lager.

or I went daaaan ve boozer, sank a few and got me 'ed smashed in.

Northerner: I went down pub t'day wi' me whippet and prices wu too high fer uz, like. So I went 'ome.

;) Just kidding.

Let me expand on that!

Glaswegian: "Awright, went tae the pub n'that. Hud 20 pintsa Buckie then glassed a bam! And byrra way, geez yer jaecket!"

Edinburgerer: "Ah went tae the boozer y'ken? Hud a scuffle with a few eedjits, then woke up in casualty, like!"

Aberdeen: "Yee Ken, Went doon tae the poob riding me coo, and sunk 40 lagers! Get aff ma land ur al shoot yees! Och Ayeee!"

:D

Originally posted by anarres
BTW Curt, Celtic or Rangers?

Always good to know which side of someone's bread is buttered. ;)

Neither, old chap!

Hate football, and a proud heathen into the bargain!

:)

Top Bottom