1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I've always found nuclear weapons disappointing in Civ IV. It causes a lot of damage yes, but not enough.

2. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

They are basically a great equalizer, for when the AI can muster big and more technologically advanced stacks than you. The thing about nukes is that they don't care about stack size. If you have, say, 18 cities and the AI has 15 but is far ahead in technology, fighting with outdated siege or aircraft won't always work. But since three nukes (sometimes four or five with SDI out) are always enough to destroy a stack of 80+ Mech Infantry and Modern Armour, any AI city can be destroyed with just those nukes and a single unit which will raze it. That's pretty strong.

There are some high-level players on here, like shakabrade, who don't use nukes just because they are too powerful ("cheesy wins").

3. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I figure I'd best ask here - I don't know wheter or not I want to buy Civilization 4. I've played it in the distant past (and I believe without expansions), but didn't like it back then. However, it seems to be really popular around here, and I was wondering if maybe I just didn't play it right, or if the expansions improved a lot.

To elaborate on my taste a bit, I've always liked Civilization II (mostly when spamming as many cities as possible) and I really like Civ 5 though I always get annoyed by the global happiness, and I'm super hyped for the district system in 6. On top of that, I got quite a few hours in the new Colonization, though imo it's only a good game when using the Religion & Revolution mod. I lasted about half an hour in the base game, though at that point I already played quite a bit with the mod, which made it more apparent that I was missing all kinds of stuff.

4. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Well, if you ask here, the answer is obviously going to be yes. :D

It's a great game with lots of depth. And a very complex game. I'm still constantly learning new things after playing it for 10 years.

I'll warn you immediately that the tips from advisors you get in the game are really bad, if you follow those you'll be stuck at noble level for quite a while. What you need to know to beat noble is pretty much build worker first, research technologies needed for food resources around your capital first, improve food resources first, always settle new cities next to food resources and improve those first. Granary is the most important building in the game, you want that in every single city, often as first build. Also, slavery is the most powerful form of production and you should just about never aim to found a religion early. I'll let you figure out the rest. :)

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I figured I'd just buy it and start playing, and I'm really enjoying it, but it does bring me back here once again, as I do not understand when exactly resources connect to cities. I know that it connects when you build a road from your city to it, but this just happened to me, and I don't understand why:

I just started a game (did a restart because I did sooooo many things wrong at first), and I had Washington DC, with two tiles away from it an improved Cow resource, but no road yet (as my Health wasn't anywhere near insufficient). Then, I had founded New York a few tiles away, and improved another Cow resource right next to New York. After that, I started building a road from New York to Washington, which went one tile away from the Cow resource New York has. Halfway through building the road, Washington's borders expanded, and I get the message that I connected the Cow resource to my capital.

Why did it do this? Is the resource automatically connected because it is right next to New York, or is it connected because it's next to the road, or is it something else entirely.

PS How frequent do things like, you know, six ivory resources next to each other happen? It looks weird.

6. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Perhaps the cow was next to a river?

Some resources clump together often.

7. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

It was. So river works too for connecting?

8. Imp. Knoedel

Yeppers.

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Before sailing they only connect if the river stays inside your borders all the way from resource to capital. After sailing they connect all the way, so does coast. You get traderoutes to AI the same way. Roads or river/coast.

10. MrGrandiose

MrGrandiose Chieftain

If an enemy is in Nationhood but does not have Gunpowder and I cut his Iron out and eventually his cooper, what can be drafted?

11. Imp. Knoedel

Warriors I believe.

12. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Can't any cavalry units be drafted?

Regards

13. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

No; only infantry.

14. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

Drafting Cavalry...now that would be something I would want for myself *dreams*

15. Bril

Bril Chieftain

Hello! In game you cant place new city on oasis. But if i chage city tile in world builder to oasis, is that going to be fine?

16. Emperor Ukunaka Kukvlkana

Emperor Ukunaka Kukvlkana Chieftain

Yes changing the tile to oasis and even mountain(Which is a GameBreaker) will not destroy the city in world builder, you can also place oasis on tiles other than dessert

the only terrian in worldbuilder that will destroy the city is a water tile, however the reverse of placing a city on a water tile does not destroy the city or turn it to land

Bril likes this.
  17. Bril

Bril Chieftain

Nomad trait gives bonuses for jungle camps, are they remain when jungle camps are developing to next stage until they are hybrid gardens?

18. Emperor Ukunaka Kukvlkana

Emperor Ukunaka Kukvlkana Chieftain

i think you would find the answer better in that mods subforum, but hopefully someone here knows

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-fall-from-heaven.190/

Bril likes this.
  19. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

I want to write documentation of my gameplay with screenshots and see what others have to say about it. Without storytelling.In particular I'm in need of some guidance with C2C mod (just got started with it). I'm not sure is Stories & Tales appropriate subforum for that. So where should I open the thread?

20. Imp. Knoedel

Strategy and Tactics I guess.