1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Live trash can

Live trash can Chieftain

Does the phalanx get a 100 % bonus against war chariot?

2. unas876

unas876 Chieftain

Yeah, the 100% bonus against Chariots also applies to any special Chariots. Same for any similar case.

3. Live trash can

Live trash can Chieftain

I read something about Espionage that said you can turn off espionage in BtS. But there are some implications concerning culture or something.

Can someone tell how this functions? I don' like espionage.

Are there other important differences beween Warlords and BtS?

4. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

Choose 'custom game' when start a new game--> 'no espionage',then espionage points will be culture points.BTS has new civilizations,new leaders,some changes in traits(expansive worker +25 % speed not 50%),new game concepts like corporations,updated forts examples,new buildings,changes in tech tree and many others.
    This thread can help you:
    https://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info-center/bts/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This thread too, and it's pretty detailed :)

(It's kind of the inverse of what you're looking for I guess, but hopefully it will be useful anyway)

6. Live trash can

Live trash can Chieftain

Thanks, both of you! I will read them when I have time!

7. Live trash can

Live trash can Chieftain

I feared setting options to No Espionage would make things funky, but it seem like there just is the conversion to culture points and that demographics are always available.

And with BtS you get the bonus of a lot of leaders and buildings and so on so it seems like the best version!

What do you guys think of Espionage?

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I play with with Espionage on. It adds a nice aspect and flavor to the game that can be played more passively or more aggressively as you so choose. Plus, the culture penalty is actually pretty bad. I see no reason to turn it off.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM
  9. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

With a simple spy having enough espionage points you can convert your oppo to your religion,or to the same civics,resulting a friendly AI oppo instead of the biggest enemy...Choose a 'target',a city having your religion inside close to your land(distance has effect in espionage points spent formula) or sign a short open borders agreement to spread your religion.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 5:40 PM
  10. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I'm fine with Espionage. I probably don't use it efficiently enough, but it adds a little variety to the game.

I don't remember the details of the Espionage point>Culture point conversion process with the No Espionage setting, only that the new Culture thresholds weren't reflective of the amount of added Culture from Espionage points.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The option means you need twice as much culture to expand borders and gain legendary status, and until the mid-late game there are few espionage boosting buildings (apart from courthouses), so it's a pretty bad deal. But I did play with this option way back when I didn't know much about the game, because I couldn't stand the spies wrecking this and that. Think we had tech view on AIs with it off too? Seem to recall something along those lines.

Still not a big fan of espionage, but thankfully apart from a few AIs (hello Sitting Bull!), they don't mess you up too badly most of the time, and it can be useful for you in certain cases. Like putting a high-cultural defence city into revolt so you can attack it without 100% defence (castles are a pain), or steal techs or gold. Plus the above-mentioned of changing AIs into different civics or religions. You can only change them into what you have yourself, but it's still a nice option. Particularly when others are in Emancipation and you want to keep them out of it so you can stay in Slavery or Caste.

I'd probably recommend to just play with espionage and try to get used to it. And like most things in the game, the human is able to take better advantage of it than the AI. If the AI was routinely stealing techs, putting cities into unhappiness (health is annoying, but not devastating), destroying space parts and stealing your large pile of gold, espionage would be a lot more frustrating, that's for sure.

12. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Had no luck with these questions in the Creation/Customization forum, so maybe someone here will know? :high5:

How do I set up a permanent alliance between 2 (or more) AIs in an existing saved game or scenario? And,

Can a permanent alliance involve more than 2 Civs?

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

@6K Man

In Custom Game options, at the top, you can designate AIs and/or the player to a single team. You can set multiple AIs to the same team this way. (The normal way of gaining a PA in-game only allows 2 leaders)

As far as a know there is no difference between a PA and a Team, well except that setting teams allows more the two.

Also, note that you can open up a WB save in notepad and see how things are configured for a PA. I've never compare a game with an existing PA to a game with teams, but I do know in both cases the "Team" line of code for leaders in a PA would be identical (e.g. Team 1). I don' t recall if there is some other line of code that actually designates "PA", just assumed when a PA is instigated in a normal game it basically just flips both leaders to the same "Team" which in both cases essentially makes the two civs/leaders one cohesive entity for the most part.

14. sealedinterface

sealedinterface Chieftain

How do you set up an AI-only game? I've heard of people doing them and always wanted to try this to see how it plays out.