Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Looks like you won a 0.6% fight lol :)
Happens, combat is done in rounds so lucky (or unlucky) streaks are possible.
With it's higher strength, the Spear did double damage (27) on succesful rounds while your warrior did only 14 damage.

But he got lucky and hit 4x as often, each unit starts with 100 hitpoints minus the missing health if wounded.
8x14 = over 100 = dead spear.
Only 2x27 = super lucky warrior.

Are those odds correct?
No idea, let's wait for maths guys ;)

Ahh, ok, so only hits are displayed in the log. Makes sense now. I named the guy 'Lucky Luke' and got him safely back to a city. May he enjoy his retirement :) And thanks for the math, Fippy!

Quests are in the Civ4EventInfos.XML and Civ4EventTriggerInfos.XML files. I believe that the triggers for them starting and ending are in EventTriggerInfos. A look through the Events XML folder should provide you with all of the info you need. Sometimes you just have to read the files carefully.

Quests are in the Civ4EventInfos.XML and Civ4EventTriggerInfos.XML files. I believe that the triggers for them starting and ending are in EventTriggerInfos.

Unfortunately the only things there which I could find to have anything to do with quest failing are Obsoletetechs, which does not have anything to do with other players, and Questfailtext, which only provides the text (and that works correctly in my quest).
And, as said, the Python Randomeventinterface didn´t have that either for those quests for what I could see.

I can find just about everything else for all those quests buut the condition to fail when other Players fulfill the conditions. Which is funny, since that should be common to just about all of them.

EDIT: Sorry about that. Found Modding Questions thread. I am not sure how I ended up here. Propably a wrong tab. My apologies.

Last edited:
I've been following SirDrake's https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/is-possible-adding-resources-on-normal-bts.302680/ steps on implementing resources into the game.
I'm implementing Tobacco etc. from RoM.
However I've been having issues with errors popping up, hopefully it's small stuff, as I'm relatively certain I have everything in the correct directories;

Spoiler :

I thought I found the XML stuff quite straightforward but apparently not. I don't know what this error report means. Naturally of course this report is followed by an endless stream of more errors.
What's strange is that I have it indicated behind the error there, that the directory is correct.

Here's another, if it helps;

Spoiler :

I'll attach the XML in the first image too.
Thanks for helping. :)

Attachments

• CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml
    14.8 KB · Views: 42
Thank for the link Lymond, but I'll no longer need it.
Turns out there are many CIV4BonusInfos.xml files in the Beyond the Sword folder, as I searched for all instances for it in the File Explorer.
I copied the one from Meso-America, if anyone runs (or has run into) similar problems.

Thanks for the concern.
I've been spending hours trying to crack this. It was so so relieving when it worked. XD
Now to blast ahead.

Hopefully not. XD
I spent hours trawling through threads, when the problem I actually had was rather simple.
Is this what life is like for Programmers? I never truly understood the frustration until now. XD

This is probably the start of the rabbit hole, too. First it'll just be resources I want to modify, then I'll end up making mods myself. :|
Thanks for the help, anyways. :D

I think I've seen the AI do it once in all the years I've been playing BTS, and it was so long ago that I'm not even sure I'm remembering that right.

I remember seeing it once as well, they were building it on another continent they had a large number of cities on. They didn't actually get to finish it manually as I conquered their capital and the colonial city that was building it received it for free that turn.

That's the only scenario I imagined it happening in - when they are nearly wiped out of their home continent, and would like to have a better capital at their new mainland.
Other situations attested in which the AI build a palace?

I was looking to make the lighthouse available for construction even when the city doesn't adjoin a sea tile, so that bad city placement by the AI isn't penalized as much. The problem with this is that the building is available for construction even when there are no sea tiles within the radius. Will the AI construct the lighthouse in sea-less cities, or does it do an actual cost/benefit calculation for its building choices?

I was looking to make the lighthouse available for construction even when the city doesn't adjoin a sea tile, so that bad city placement by the AI isn't penalized as much. The problem with this is that the building is available for construction even when there are no sea tiles within the radius. Will the AI construct the lighthouse in sea-less cities, or does it do an actual cost/benefit calculation for its building choices?

I, myself, simply put the minimum Water tiles required to be 1 (instead of 10 or whatever it was). AI likes to put their cities next to freshwater lakes, and on most water-heavy maps lakes are at most two tiles away from the sea.
Does not fix all instances of poor AI City placement, but helps quite some.

Im probably being really stupid, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to open civ world builder saves (.CivBeyondSwordWBSave). I was playing TAM and while it works perfectly, it is recommended to use the supplied maps. When I open these my computer just asks me to choose which application to open it with. I have tried opening it with the civ iv launcher and also changing the format to that of a normal save and doing it that way. What am I doing wrong?

You could try opening it with Notepad++.

Im probably being really stupid, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to open civ world builder saves (.CivBeyondSwordWBSave). I was playing TAM and while it works perfectly, it is recommended to use the supplied maps. When I open these my computer just asks me to choose which application to open it with. I have tried opening it with the civ iv launcher and also changing the format to that of a normal save and doing it that way. What am I doing wrong?
If the save is in the default place (for me this is My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder) then the save can be played by going to "Play Scenario" and selecting the save by name.

Top Bottom