1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

You can build the same national wonder in multiple cities (but it can only be queued in a single production queue) before finally completing it in the city you want it in. With production multipliers (+100% resource and / or IND) it can be more effective than building wealth.

vorlon_mi and lymond like this.
  2. AcaMetis

AcaMetis King

Partially build a National Wonder in one (or more) city/cities, than finish it in the last city/the city you actually want it in. The partially completed one(s) will have it's invested :hammers: converted into :gold:, since you can only have one of any given national wonder. The one exception to this is the Palace, since you can always build it in another city to move your capitol.

vorlon_mi likes this.
  3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Not aware of a specific fail gold guide. National wonders work the same way as great wonders. The difference being that a) you have complete control over when to completely the NW and b) some NW have prerequisites like barracks and XP for HE.

Maoi is often a good early NW for fail gold if you have stone and/IND, and some coastal cities. Start it in a the target city. When other coastal cities complete a build that has a little OF hammers, queue up Maoi there for one turn. You can get a lot of fail gold this way once Maoi is completed in the target city.

HE is viable too but you will have to invest in barracks in other cities. NE pretty good too since you will likely have some libraries built.

Those are the main ones I consider trying to fail gold since they are relatively early and viable NWs if you have bonuses. Outside of those 3 the other NWs are not of much worth IMO as they are rarely built. Herm might be a consideration later with marble. But something like Globe gets no bonus anyway. Neither does NP or Wall. Ox I want to build asap and not toy with, if I actually build it.

edit: UE sighting!

4. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

Hello.

Where is the folder where the Player Profilers (like Default Profile for exemple) are ?

I got profiles created for mods that I can't delete by the game options (delete option does not work for them).

5. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I don't know where it is stored but the choice of Profiles should be in the .ini. Look for the lines:

; Determines which user profile is loaded on game start
    UserProfile = Default Profile

If it is something other than Default Profile, it should be showing whatever the Profile is that is loading in your game. Change it to Default or what you are expecting it to be.

6. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

It can't be in the .ini.

Because I desinstalled my game. Deleted all files in the remaining civ IV folder.
    Deleted my My Documents/Games/Civ 4 folder.

And when I reinstaled the game, the same profiles were still up (I got like 5 profiles).

And I got a very annoying bug which prevent me from playing in multiplayer with a Fall From Heaven 2 mod.

I all tried to remove it. I want to try removing all possible files linked to civ IV. But I can't.

7. lymond

Bonjour, Jojo

I don't know much about this as I've never heard of it in my 12 or so years with the game, and I've only ever had one profile. But there is another place you might look to possibly remove some files. Assuming you are using Windows, check the following folder:

C:\Users\*Name*\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond The Sword

This folder contains the game cache and also maybe the profiles.

I've always deleted that stuff whenever I do a fresh install.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then the only thing I can think of is check the registry.

8. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

Bonjour.

Thanks I found it. I deleted it entirely my prolifes vanished.

Sadly my incapacity to play this mod is still here.

Same installation process, sames files.

Others players can play it. Me I can't. All tried. That's beyond my comprehension.

Thanks.

9. lymond

Ha..don't know a great deal about MP. However, what I do know is that everyone playing MP must have the same assets.

First, I would check the version of the FFH mod you are playing. If you are playing a FFH modmod, you need to check that forum to make sure that modmod is MP compatible or otherwise does not have some know issues with MP. Some of those FFH modmods have specific patches and stuff you may have missed.

Regardless, all folks playing with you need to be on the same version of the mod, and your vanilla assets should be identical as well. So, if for whatever reason you have jacked around with the game's assets, and you should not do that outside of a mod, then that would create some OOS issues. (out of sync) Although I'm not sure what the specific issue is you are encountering or what type of MP you are playing (LAN, Internet, Pitboss,etc.)

Jojo_Fr likes this.
  10. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Does medic from human land unit help tanks, Artillary, boats of any kind, heal faster? Does ship medic help land units heal faster?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Yes. Medic helps all units on the same tile with the Medic unit. It does not matter what kind of unit it is: human, ship, tank, plane, etc.

12. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Do ships fortify when sitting still?

Sometimes it seems like I get overflow, I could have sworn I've built multiple units in a turn. But in a game just now I did a test where a city with 110 production, was set to produce work boats that take 40 production. I ended turn a few times and I was still only producing one boat a turn and when I checked out how long it would take for other production, it wasn't decreasing. In other words, it seems like I was loosing production. Also I could have sworn I've read online that Civ4 carries over with everything.

Can someone please explain how overflow works?

Do the Priest special structure where you get the great person priest and then make the holy structure in the founding city, does that produce gold or commerce?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  13. lymond

Ships do not fortify.

OF is capped. i think to 100% of an item’s base cost. So OF from a wb is capped at 30h (edit: on normal speed... you appear to play slower speeds)

Shrines produce gold per each city with that religion. No building generates commerce. Cities generate commerce and buildings modify/multiply it in some way based on the sliders.

14. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

I am playing normal speed. If it's capped at 100% then why am I not producing two of them a turn?

15. AcaMetis

AcaMetis King

In vanilla Civ IV a city cannot produce more than one unit per turn, no matter how much excessive production it has/generates. That can be changed by mods, though. I believe K-Mod allows for multiple units produced per turn, for instance.

16. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

I'm playing Beyond the Sword of course.

On the previous page there was lots of talk about DoW, what is that an acronym for?

I stole a bunch of gold from an AI with espionage, but it didn't change how much gold it had as determined through tech trade screen. What gives?

I am in this game where I an trying to get a nation into a defense pact and or permanent alliance, but it just doesn't seem to want to come up as options. The nations friendly to me, it's a sea of green likes, with my gifting or selling cheap techs, us fighting the same enemies, same religion because of espionage, etc. etc. I am not the weakest nation, the other nations not the strongest. I even agreed to a war with the only other nation I wasn't fighting besides this one, not good enough? What do I need to do? At this point I want to see it just to see it, even if it doesn't contribute to a win or I could win some other way.

17. lymond

Declaration Of War

I don't really know about the gold steal, since I never bother with that espionage mission. It could simply be that screen does not reflect the steal that turn. It's all rather irrelevant to important stuff anyway.

18. Eagle777

Eagle777 Chieftain

Three quick questions for the more experienced players.

I have installed Civ4 complete to another PC. It installs Warlords and BTS automatically.

I then patched BTC and added the BAT mode.

I noticed three things, though.
    1) I do not have the "city overnors build workboats" option and the "city governors build workers" option available under "Advanced" - "Options".
    I found that peculiar. It seems the installations netted slightly different installations.

2) I cannot seem to open saves from the other game (other computer), even though the BAT version and the BTS should match.
    The game just crashes when I try to load the saves from the other computer.
    Also, copypasting replays into the replays folder did not bring up the old Hall of Fame.

3) I also notice that when starting a new (Custom) game, I do not have Planet_Generator_0_68 on the new installation (the old one has it).
    I know I could find it and download it. What I am wondering is, what did that Planet generator come with? Which particular patch/update?

19. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

AFAIK the planet generator comes from BUG. I got it after I installed BUG and lost it when BUG stopped working for me. A reminder, still need help with that...

20. lymond

I’m curious about this patch as civ iv complete comes fully patched. Sounds like you created your on version issue.

you need to delete everything and reinstall.