Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Ironically enough rushing with population (Slavery) does get production bonuses like Factories applied to but rushing with money (US) does not. That means the more industrialized a civ is, the more efficient Slavery becomes compared to Democracy if you only care about conversion to hammers without taking unhappiness into account. Imo it should be the other way around from a historical/realistic perspective, but what can you do do.

Recommendations for graphics overhauls/total conversion mods that improve graphics? I've been out of things since blue marble was the good graphics pack. Hoping things have continued to progress since then. Any suggestions? not having luck with browsing/search

I know that the default setting for trading techs is brokering "on", so if you trade a tech to one AI, you can be fairly sure that AI will trade it to a bunch of others. Does map trading work the same way?

I know that the default setting for trading techs is brokering "on", so if you trade a tech to one AI, you can be fairly sure that AI will trade it to a bunch of others. Does map trading work the same way?
Yes. Therefore if you sell your map to one AI, it is probably worth getting what you can for it from every other AI that turn.

Recommendations for graphics overhauls/total conversion mods that improve graphics? I've been out of things since blue marble was the good graphics pack. Hoping things have continued to progress since then. Any suggestions? not having luck with browsing/search
See the BAT Mod link in my sig. No gameplay changes, just beautification.

And more amusing hints. ;)

Ohhhh, somebody noticed those...

:lol:

Well, they are labelled "***BUG Hint***"

Those hints gave me more appreciation for my Mother

I turn off movies and all the audio, but even if I had the choice, I wouldn't turn them off.
And I'm pretty sure I've seen them all. Many still bring a smile to my face.
They're like the councilors in II.

Had fun coming up with those. My fav was 'Mods are good in snackeration'

My fave is the one about the spices and elephants. And the quotes from the Princess Bride.

Oh! And the sponges in the ocean.

I forgot 'The cake is a lie'

I turn off movies and all the audio, but even if I had the choice, I wouldn't turn them off.
And I'm pretty sure I've seen them all. Many still bring a smile to my face.
They're like the councilors in II.
I miss the councilors in II. Especially their petty infighting.

My fave is the one about the spices and elephants. And the quotes from the Princess Bride.

Oh! And the sponges in the ocean.
I missed the one about the spices and elephants. But I do like the quotes from the Princess Bride.

hi, everyone.
its my first post.

i am going to play a new modpack. but not yet decided which to download.
so, i want to know whether there is any mod/modpack that solved the problem caused by too-many-units-micromanagement in modern war ?

just like fewer unit mod or something like that will be fine.

hi, everyone.
its my first post.

i am going to play a new modpack. but not yet decided which to download.
so, i want to know whether there is any mod/modpack that solved the problem caused by too-many-units-micromanagement in modern war ?

just like fewer unit mod or something like that will be fine.
Welcome to CFC!!!!
:band::beer::band:

You may want to try the various Fall From Heaven variants, for example Magister modmod. They are all fantasy, so do not have a modern era, but generally focus on having a few good units rather than massive stacks.

However what I would recomend is getting familiar with stack commands. These make dealling with a large stack of units much easier. The primary ones I use are:

Ctrl-C select all units of the same type on tile
Ctrl-G move all units of the same type on tile
Alt-C select all units on tile
Alt-G move all units on tile
Cntl-H Select all injured units on tile.

So if I have my stack after taking a city I may:

Alt-G and move to captured city
Select City defender, Ctrl-C for all, space to wait in city
Ctrl-H and space for injured to wait in city
Select an uninjured non-city defender, move all other units to next target city.

Last edited:
There is a whole load of FFH mods. Magister is in active development, and the one I happen to be currently playing. It is also one of the most modded mods out there is you know what I mean. The most new mechanics and big changes with religions, things like that. I think this one may be another option that is not quite different, but I have not tried as recent version of that.

I’m not one to believe that the AI “cheats” or that 99% battles are lost far more than 1% of the time. I’ve just seen this particular scenario happen a LOT. Usually it’s something like Cannon (immune to collateral damage, so at full strength) defending against Cuirs, instead of a redlined Rifleman doing the defending. Then when I’m down to my last few attackers – one Cuirassier and 2 Horse Archers, say – one of the redlined Riflemen will suddenly defend against the Cuirassier, so that the healthy Cannon defends against my next attack with a Horse Archer.

And frankly, it would be brilliant programming if the AI did select defenders this way. I just want to know how it works. Has anyone found anything like this in the code?

The smoking gun...

Here we see Paris, defended by a half-damaged Archer (1.5 STR), a redlined Spearman (0.5 STR), and a moderately wounded Spearman (2.8 STR). I'm coming at him with either a CR2 Maceman or a Horse Archer.

If I attack with the Maceman, I would think the defender would be either the stronger Spearman or the Archer. Instead, the weaker Spearman defends. Why?

My thinking is thus: If I change attackers to a Horse Archer, the stronger Spearman would be a better defender, and there's no point 'wasting' the stronger Spear in defending a battle with the Mace that the Spear will lose 99% of the time. Instead, sacrifice the weaker Spear, which would lose against any attacker I choose, regardless.

Any thoughts as to why the weaker spear defends first, in defiance of the usual defender choice rules?

Top Bottom