Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I've just been told that I can no longer build broadcast towers in the various cities where I've been building them for several turns.

Why is this?

:confused:

I've just noticed (on completing the Manhattan Project) that the onscreen notification says "enables nukes in all civilizations" or something like that.

What precisely does that mean?

I've just noticed (on completing the Manhattan Project) that the onscreen notification says "enables nukes in all civilizations" or something like that.

What precisely does that mean?

As far as I know you can't build/use nukes until the Manhattan project is completed. Once you or anyone else constructs the MP everyone is then allowed to build/use nukes, assuming you have the right techs + resources.

with MP = nukes
without MP = no nukes

as soon as someone builds the UN, there are elections
you need to either have the most population or build the UN (or be second biggest if the biggest also builds the UN) to be candidate
And how do I choose and initiate other resulutions? ;)

you probably just finished the Eiffel tower.
D'oh! :blush:

As for the nukes, as long as they aren't all going nuclear just yet...

Hi everybody,

Two questions:
1/ What is the distinction between a 'cease-fire' and a 'peace treaty' (duration, conditions,...)?

2/ When you are engaged in a long war (i.e. in order to swallow the empire of your enemy) and you are winning : do you treat with him in order to get technologies and gold from him? Do you sign peace treaty or cease-fire?

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

Two questions:
1/ What is the distinction between a 'cease-fire' and a 'peace treaty' (duration, conditions,...)?

2/ When you are engaged in a long war (i.e. in order to swallow the empire of your enemy) and you are winning : do you treat with him in order to get technologies and gold from him? Do you sign peace treaty or cease-fire?

Thanks!
Ceasefire: you can only trade this and nothing else at the same time. Peace is declared and all enemy units are removed from your territory (and vice versa). You can declare war anytime.
Peace Treaty: you can trade whatever (techs, gold etc.). Peace is declared and all enemy units are removed from your territory (and vice versa). You can only declare war again if 10 turns have passed since the Peace treaty.

For your second question: depends on what he has to offer and if I need the 10 turns anyway to reach his outlying cities or regroup ;)

Thanks for your quick response ori!
In my case I should have sign a cease-fire rather a peace treaty...

I think the question of how manage a long war has been studied but I can not find where?

Thanks for your quick response ori!
In my case I should have sign a cease-fire rather a peace treaty...

I think the question of how manage a long war has been studied but I can not find where?

I can't recall if it has been or not. If it hasn't, that might make for a good strategy article.

A few brief pointers in that regard:
  • "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." So said Sun Tzu, and the old boy was right. Build up your military (infrastructure such as barracks, drydocks, and roads as well as units) before going to war, not during. Also consider chopping forests and jungles on your borders, especially if any of it is immediately adjacent to your cities, ahead of time. No sense leaving enemy invaders with any cover.
  • You'll need defenders as well as attackers. This includes "passive" defenders such as units with City Garrison, Woodsman, and Guerrilla promotions to defend captured territory, and "active" defenders--usually mounted units and/or counters to mounted units--to fend off pillagers. I also like to have some defensive siege units to deal crippling blows to an enemy stack o' doom, should one appear.
  • Form a plan of attack. What cities will you attack first? The nearest ones to your own territory, or the ones that would best reduce your enemy's capacity to fight back? (Remember that the latter includes science/commerce centres, not just production cities, so the enemy has difficulty paying for troops and teching to better units.)
  • Corollary to the above: you may want to draw up a battle map utilizing a screenshot that illustrates the best paths through enemy territory to each target (i.e. city). The paths should balance using defensive terrain with optimizing speed.
  • Is a civics change in order, in order to (a) gain additional XPs for your units and/or (b) better deal with war weariness? If you're not spiritual, can you afford the periods of anarchy, and how long will they be? In BtS, civics changes during a Golden Age don't require anarchy, and 1 Great Person is enough to start a GA. Can you time the civics change to coincide with the GA?
  • Consider whether you will need to split your city-busting stack to bring the war to a faster conclusion. When and how will that happen? Unit production and movement are often the keys to this.
  • Will amphibious assaults be required or advantageous? You'll need to plan to have enough troop transports available at the right time, along with the proper units (such as Marines).
  • Don't neglect medic units to heal your stack and keep it on the move. If you're considering either of the above strategies (>1 stack, amphibious assaults) you'll need medic units for each stack. It's often nice to have a medic with each stack, and one or two to leave behind in any city you just captured to tend to the units needing long-term rehab.
  • War weariness is a bear in a long war. How will you manage it? Have you built enough happiness magnifiers such as theatres and have access to enough happiness resources? Maybe you need to prioritize capturing territory that will provide you with these resources, or capturing a wonder like Notre Dame if it's owned by your target. Are you prepared to raise the cultural slider when the need arises? How will you accelerate the war to a conclusion if WW becomes too costly? (Hint: see splitting your stack and amphibious assaults, above.)
  • The war won't happen in a vacuum. Don't forget about diplomacy. How will the other civs react? Will they cut off trade of a key resource, such as one that increases your happiness and wards off war weariness? Will they join in on the enemy's side? Perhaps you may even want to get another civ involved to rack up some "mutual military struggle" diplo bonuses, as well as to distract your opponent by making him fight a war on two fronts. Try to keep a tech or gold available to bribe your ally into making peace, however, if you want to avoid the enemy becoming your buddy's vassal.

Wow, thanks for the response Sisiutil.
I held your advice in high esteem since I read your very well organized guides 'The stack o' doom' and 'The guide for beginners'.

Two questions (Warlords)...

1. Is there some way to find out (short of having a spy), what an enemy city has built? Specifically, I want to know whether to take it over or burn, baby, burn.

2. Do naval units with the heal promotion also heal land troops if they are in the same city? Or for that matter air units? If I give a transport the heal promotion, will troops on the transport benefit...same question for carrier/airplnes.

Thanks

So I'm not really a Civ-newbie, just a Civ4-newbie. :) After playing Civ3 for a while after Civ4's release, I'm transitioning to Civ4...I have Warlords 2.13.

Anyway, my question: is it better to use a Great General's bonus of 20 XP on just one unit, to create a "super-unit" with lots of promotions, or distributed across a few units? Thanks in advance.

Anyway, my question: is it better to use a Great General's bonus of 20 XP on just one unit, to create a "super-unit" with lots of promotions, or distributed across a few units? Thanks in advance.

Using them on units isn't THAT effective in the first place. A strong unit like that will fight a lot, but will inevitably lose sooner or later, and then that was it. It's fun, but not very effective. Many people only use their first great general as a warlord, giving all the XP to a single unit so they have one that enables them to build Heroic Epic and West Point. All other great generals get used as instructors (+2 to every unit you build in that city is so much better than just a total of +20) and maybe for military academies. A specialized military production city with several settled instructors (and west point etc of course) that churns out high level units can make all the difference in a war.

A popular use for a warlord unit is giving Medic I, II and III to a fast moving unit that isn't likely to defend (like a chariot). It'll move with your main attack stack and keep it healing fast. If you want him to fight, cavalry units are popular, as they can get a very high withdrawal chance thanks to the special promotions available to warlords. Of course you might just combine the two types in one, especially if you're charismatic.

Top Bottom