Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Alright, so... can you view 'proper' replays that show another player... playing? Or is it just those ones that shows text like "1000 BC: Judaism has spread to blah blah"?

Secondly, can anyone tell me what most people's 'build order' is if they're a warmonger starting with, say, Genghis Khan? Like. What would they do exactly in the first 10-20 turns? What would they usually build/research, in order?

Thanks.

Alright, so... can you view 'proper' replays that show another player... playing? Or is it just those ones that shows text like "1000 BC: Judaism has spread to blah blah"?

You mean other than taking a video of the screen the whole time the game is being played?

You mean other than taking a video of the screen the whole time the game is being played?

Well yes. Most RTS and such have the ability to save replays of you playing them. Then again this is Civilization where games last much, much longer. But still, could be a fast forward and speed up option.

Something I've been wondering. What is the actual impact of eras other than choosing a start time and changing the graphics?

I've picked up the game again after a long time of not playing it and after 2 games now I've noticed that the AI never really goes to war with each other. There have been an odd few wars, but that's about it. Most of the time it's peace all the way through - is this related to the aggressive setting?
I didn't really a super aggressive game, just a few wars I could involve myself in a few times.

Civ 4 (no expansions) with the latest patch.

I've picked up the game again after a long time of not playing it and after 2 games now I've noticed that the AI never really goes to war with each other. There have been an odd few wars, but that's about it. Most of the time it's peace all the way through - is this related to the aggressive setting?
I didn't really a super aggressive game, just a few wars I could involve myself in a few times.

The AI will war with one another, but it varies from game to game.

Some leaders are more warlike than others. The likelihood of war is affected by several things, with a RNG value thrown in.

The AI, from what I've seen, prefers to rely on massive numbers of troops for a war. And frankly, the AI is not, overall, very effective at war, which may be why it doesn't fight them very often.

Remember that you can always bribe the AI leaders into fighting one another. ;)

Something I've been wondering. What is the actual impact of eras other than choosing a start time and changing the graphics?
Not too much, although in BtS some of the random events--quests in particular--are era-dependent (you have to complete them before a certain era begins).

Not too much, although in BtS some of the random events--quests in particular--are era-dependent (you have to complete them before a certain era begins).
sorry to say you are wrong ;)
iAIPerEraModifier is perhaps the strongest bonus the AI gets it:

reduces Upgrade cost
reduces production cost
reduces unit upkeep
reduces inflation
reduces War Weariness
reduces the growth threshold for every city
increases unit supply

e.g. this gives an additional discount on all of these of 5% for a deity AI in the Ancient era, 10% in the classical era, 15% in the medieval era etc.

The number of wars can differ a lot from one game to the next. It is very important which civilisations happen to be in the game and how the religions spreads over the various civilisations.

That said, the aggressive AI setting will increase the number of wars and the aggression of the AI is also increased in the expansion pack Beyond the Sword, especially for the aggressive AI setting.

sorry to say you are wrong ;)
iAIPerEraModifier is perhaps the strongest bonus the AI gets it:

reduces Upgrade cost
reduces production cost
reduces unit upkeep
reduces inflation
reduces War Weariness
reduces the growth threshold for every city
increases unit supply

e.g. this gives an additional discount on all of these of 5% for a deity AI in the Ancient era, 10% in the classical era, 15% in the medieval era etc.

This is a significant bonus for the AI in the later eras on the highest difficulty levels (emperor, immortal and deity), but it is rather insignificant on lower levels and on the levels noble and below the bonus doesn't even exist (is zero). So, I wouldn't call it the biggest AI bonus. The growth, production and the research bonus are also pretty significant and they are present in all eras. And even in Beyond the Sword, the AI still has a significant upgrade bonus although it's not as ridiculous as in Warlords and vanilla Civ4.

Still, I don't know of any other effect of the eras on gameplay. The music, graphics and on the higher levels, the AI bonuses change.

Can anyone tell me what most people's 'build order' is if they're a warmonger starting with, say, Genghis Khan? Like. What would they do exactly in the first 10-20 turns? What would they usually build/research, in order?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what most people's 'build order' is if they're a warmonger starting with, say, Genghis Khan? Like. What would they do exactly in the first 10-20 turns? What would they usually build/research, in order?

Thanks.

Depends upon the game speed...but in general play to the leaders strengths...With either Khan, you really want to know where the horses are asap, so Animal Husb isn't a bad option first, then through mining to Bronze Working to find the Copper. Build order again depends a lot on starting position, terrain and game speed. If there are several tiles you can usefully improve straight away (or after An Husb), a worker is often a good first bet, if not, a barracks isn't a bad idea too. Then again, if you have a "seafood" start, you best bet is probably to get fishing first.

There are no cut and dried rules, thats what makes Civ so much fun to play again..and again..and....you get the message. Happy experimenting ;)

I'd like to point out that if you play on a map with massive amounts of land to spread out on, you wont get war. Use a standard map size and at least 14 AIs for some war. Aggressive AI if you want more

So, I wouldn't call it the biggest AI bonus.
:D might have exaggerated a bit :rolleyes:
Actually the only tangible gameplay effect was introduced in BtS with the chance of random events being

1%/2%/4%/4%/6%/8%/10% per turn for any event to occur (era specific Ancient/Classical/Medieval/Renaissance/Industrial/Modern/Future)

:D might have exaggerated a bit :rolleyes:
Actually the only tangible gameplay effect was introduced in BtS with the chance of random events being

1%/2%/4%/4%/6%/8%/10% per turn for any event to occur (era specific Ancient/Classical/Medieval/Renaissance/Industrial/Modern/Future)

Hmm, I didn't know that last one. Interesting.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I've found that playing with a larger number of civs increases the amount of wars. I once played a Huge Pangea map with 18 Civs (17 rivals). Within a short time (maybe 200 turns) there was always atleast one war going on. I'd see 2 civs go to war with another, wipe that civ out then fight each other. I once saw a war between 3 civs that went on for maybe 500 turns, and in the end all 3 still existed.

I'm playing a Large Pangea map at the moment with 10 civs (9 rivals) and apart from a 4 turn war soon after I started, the only other wars have been started by me against Catherine who was settling each extra city closer and closer to me. Its taken 3 short wars to force her back. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Circumstances can dictate the optimal choices, but generally . . . in almost all game conditions, you want to build a worker first, because it greatly facilitates your development. If you want to go to war quickly, you are going to want to both chop forests and use Slavery, so getting to Bronze Working very early is, again, almost always the way to go.

Now I have a query:

There is little in the manual about the Space Race victory condition. Do you achieve victory based on when you launch your ship or when it reaches the stars?

I am running vanilla CIV IV 1.74 patch. One the audio options I see the box to tic to use the custom music folder. I then use the browse button to select a music folder but it says it can't find it and won't play any music. Any luck using the custom music feature?

I am running vanilla CIV IV 1.74 patch. One the audio options I see the box to tic to use the custom music folder. I then use the browse button to select a music folder but it says it can't find it and won't play any music. Any luck using the custom music feature?

never had a problem,
then again I only tried it once, with warlords 2.08.

Are you sure about the folder you selected that it does contain at least 1 mp3 file?

There is little in the manual about the Space Race victory condition. Do you achieve victory based on when you launch your ship or when it reaches the stars?

In the Beyond the Sword expansion pack, it is when the space ship arrives. In earlier versions of the game, it is when the space ship is launched.

I've never had any problems with it, but I've only used it in Warlords 2.08 and picked a folder from the game itself. (I don't like the modern age music but like the music from the earlier ages.) Maybe the game only recognizes certain types of music files. The music files of the music in the various ages are mp3 music files.

Top Bottom