1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

I explained my issue badly. Here's an example. I traded for Feudalism and acquired it from someone else. Since there's no tech brokering I can't trade Feudalism to anyone else. As such it doesn't show up as a tech they want.

It just seems weird because they went through the trouble of showing us the techs they have, but can't give. Shouldn't we have something that can show what they want but can't give them.

Thanks for the info on flanking.

2. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

Two points here:
    1. It shows you the techs they have but can't give so that you know what techs they have that you don't.
    2. "Want" simply means "doesn't have". So, do you mean "There should be something that says what I have that they don't."?

3. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

It would seem logical to have that information from a consistency point of view. I don't quite know what you would do with the information though. You can see which technologies they can research so in that way you can see that they don't have that technology yet.

4. elder abuser

elder abuser Old People Fear Me

How do I change my title? I have 30 days and 30 posts.

Thanks much in advance!

5. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Click on "My Account", then on "Edit Profile". Enter something in the "Custom User Title" text box, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Save Changes". Bob's yer uncle!

6. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

Is there a way to check the status of the various quests you might get (BTS)?

7. Wolfstorm

Wolfstorm Chieftain

I have a question about stacking. In Civ3, only one unit appeared as the first in a opponent stack, so you just selected the best unit in your stack to attack that unit. In Civ4, everytime you select a different unit the first unit in the opponent stack changes. For example, the opponent have a tank in its stack, but when I select the anti-tank unit in my stack, it appears a marine in the opponent stack. Is that normal? Is there some button to select the unit in the opponent stack to attack?

8. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

No. The best unit is always the defending unit. Say you and your opponent both have a stack of 2 axes, 2 horse archers, and 2 spearmen.

If you attack with horse archer, his spearman defends. If you attack with spearmen, his axemen defend. If you attack with axes, his horse archers defend.

If you select the WHOLE stack and attack him, you will attack with whatever unit has the best odds of winning. In our little example above, that would be the axeman.

9. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

In BTS, what exactly does "sea patrol" do? Do your units attack when it's the AI's turn if they try to pillage something nearby?

10. ggganz

Press Ctrl+Tab and click the quests tab. It just shows a list, not status really.
    :) :D :yeah: :yup: Ya!

11. wkndwrrr

wkndwrrr Warlord

What exactly is the secret behind getting scores above 10,000 (which I see almost all people tend to get, at least in the 'Stories' section)? no matter what I seem to do, the highest I have haver scored in a game was around 7000, and usually I score around 4000, even when I win! (meaning I'm on top of the charts) Does upping the difficulty give you more points? Changing the number of foes? Do certain victory conditions typically end up giving you a higher score? Does map size/type affect it? How about game speed?

I know it gives you a basic breakdown of your score in-game, (i.e. percentage based on technology, land, wonders, etc.) but that still does not explain how many people get scores orders of magnitude larger than mine, in comparable matches to the type I play. (to all appearances)

12. bluice

bluice Warlord

quick one, To install 1.74 patch do I need the previous versions?

13. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

One of the main factor for getting high scores is finishing early. To give you an idea, my highest score (88000 approximately) was because I won a domination victory around the year 1650.

Victory type does not affect the score directly. I mean, there is no factor in the score calculation that include victory type. However, considering for example that, if you go for domination, you will conquer more cities and have more wonders, domination can give you higher score than, say, peacefull space race at the same date.

I'm not sure about difficulty, so I wont say anything about this. But I'm sure that foes/map type/size does not change anything to it.

14. wkndwrrr

wkndwrrr Warlord

Thanks, and... wow...how did you pull that off?

15. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

With lots of luck and a cav-rush; but I'm sure lots of people can do much better ;)

16. wkndwrrr

wkndwrrr Warlord

Oh, and that reminds me, how is it that my best win, (the 7000 pointer) was acheived sometime around 2100, if earlier victory=higher score? Surely my several wins in the 1990's would score better, at least one would think.

17. ggganz

:nope: No.

18. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Quick Question: How many civs does BTS allow for one game to have?

19. ggganz

I think it's just 18. But maybe they changed that. :dunno:

20. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Considering that the game usually ends in 2050, I'm not sure if there is a difference between winning in 2050 and winning in 2100. Now, considering that 1990 is not so far away from 2050, perhaps the time factor is not very important in your case, and you had only a better empire in your 2100 win rather than in your 1990 win.

If you want higher scores, try at least to win around 1900 ;)