Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

U-huh, right.And the Genghis Khan entry spells Khan "Kahn" 4 times.

What exactly is the secret behind getting scores above 10,000 (which I see almost all people tend to get, at least in the 'Stories' section)? no matter what I seem to do, the highest I have haver scored in a game was around 7000, and usually I score around 4000, even when I win! (meaning I'm on top of the charts) Does upping the difficulty give you more points? Changing the number of foes? Do certain victory conditions typically end up giving you a higher score? Does map size/type affect it? How about game speed?

I know it gives you a basic breakdown of your score in-game, (i.e. percentage based on technology, land, wonders, etc.) but that still does not explain how many people get scores orders of magnitude larger than mine, in comparable matches to the type I play. (to all appearances)

You should check the GotMs spoilers.
finishing early, with a large population count is what you need ;).
Personal best is somewhere over 140k, and my usual score is somewhere around 40k (even when going for culture!).

can I vasalize myself to some AI during peace with him? I tried everyhing, gives him feudalism, make peace with everybody, make him peace with everybody. but still there is no option to offer beeing vasal of him :huh:

Civilization IV: Quick Answers

Hi everyone!

In this thread, feel free to ask basic questions about Civilization IV. This should make it easier for you guys to get answers quicker, and it should also separate discussion threads from more basic questions. :) With time, this will make it possible for us to put together an official Civilization IV FAQ article as well. If you aren't in a rush to post any questions, make sure to read through the available information, which is likely to answer a lot of questions itself.

Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

I encourage everyone to participate here, answering questions they can. Thanks!

Hi People. I was playing a game of bts @ Cheiftan level and i made India a Vassal state. And now for god's sake I can't no matter what I do declare war on those Indians. No matter how many insults or demands or spys that i force upon the sods they won't let me declare war on them.

How do I play myself out of this?

Regards Mikre 76

mike76hynd@hotmail.com

For the two last questions about vassals: you can't vassalize yourself to an AI. And you can't break a vassalization aggrement if it was done via capitulation. So no war to capitulated vassals.

Hi People. I was playing a game of bts @ Cheiftan level and i made India a Vassal state. And now for god's sake I can't no matter what I do declare war on those Indians. No matter how many insults or demands or spys that i force upon the sods they won't let me declare war on them.

How do I play myself out of this?

Regards Mikre 76

mike76hynd@hotmail.com

JujuLautre's explanation is correct. Technically vassals cannot declare war on one another and you cannot become the AI's vassal.

Here are they ways I know of to break the agreement. When you mouseover your vassal's name in the list it tells you a couple conditions. The vassal arrangement is broken if either condition happens:

- The vassal's population AND land area are greater than 50% of the master. BOTH conditions must be satisfied.
- The vassal's land area drops to 50% of what it was right before vassalizing. So if another civ is destroying them, and you're not helping, they can break free.
- Demand a resource that the vassal refuses. Instant war (and thus no more vassal agreement).

You really need to think hard before taking on a vassal. I've never received a voluntary vassal, but that agreement can be dissolved every 10 turns by the vassal.

The easiest way out is to demand a resource that they hopefully won't give you. Other than that, you need them to grow a lot by themselves (which is very tough) or let an enemy AI clobber them.

thx JujuLautre for answer. So I even can't capitulate to AI, right? even if I might be destroyed???

anyone known mod which makes human player able to become a vassal of AI?

newbie qwestion
trying to download ryse and fall where do i put it
cant see mods folder when i open the game

I finally was able to get DSL in my area (PA boondocks) and can now download without hours of waiting (26.4 kilobytes is sloooooow). What is a good WW2 scenario or mod and, if a mod, how do I save it?

J.P.Jones

My first post in years. I loved Civ 1 and 2, but never enjoyed Civ 3.

Now I started playing Civ 4, which is much better, and I'm back to the level of addiction I had 10 years ago.

So, I'm practising, and playing a game at chieftain level now. I'm winning, easily, and I figured a cultural victory was unavoidable, because I had 2 cities at 60K culture, and the third at 45K and rising with 250 per turn.

So a couple of turns later, the culture of city 3 rises above 50K, but no victory...

Now I'm confused. 3x50K culture is victory right? Or am I missing out on something?

I'm willing to send someone my savegame per email...

My first post in years. I loved Civ 1 and 2, but never enjoyed Civ 3.

Now I started playing Civ 4, which is much better, and I'm back to the level of addiction I had 10 years ago.

So, I'm practising, and playing a game at chieftain level now. I'm winning, easily, and I figured a cultural victory was unavoidable, because I had 2 cities at 60K culture, and the third at 45K and rising with 250 per turn.

So a couple of turns later, the culture of city 3 rises above 50K, but no victory...

Now I'm confused. 3x50K culture is victory right? Or am I missing out on something?

I'm willing to send someone my savegame per email...

Welcome back to civfanatics then.

3 cities have to reach legendary culture level and that level differs for each game speed, 50.000 is the value at normal game speed. You can check the value in the victory screen (F8).

If the game speed is at normal, then I can only guess that some other type of victory has already been achieved by someone and you chose to continue to play or you deselected the cultural victory option at the start of the game in the game setup.

Ah,

my game speed is set to marathon. I had no clue this would influence the victory conditions. Where in my screenshot does it say what the victory condition for cultural victory is?

Attachments

• victory.JPG
    victory.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 91
That screenshot doesn't show it. The culture victory requirement for marathon is 3 x 150,000.

Ah,

my game speed is set to marathon. I had no clue this would influence the victory conditions. Where in my screenshot does it say what the victory condition for cultural victory is?

Hmm, it isn't there. I usually don't play with the cultural victory option, but I guessed it would be mentioned in this screen

It's 150.000 at marathon speed. You should be able to see this in the cities that are at high culture levels and going for the legendary culture level. You can see the progress bar for culture in those cities. Most things at marathon speed are 3 times as expensive as you have 3 times as many game turns.

Top Bottom