Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

A couple of quick questions...

Is there any point in building farms/cottages etc on squares not within a cities 'thick cross' area? (assuming its not a resource square)?

Is there any bonus in building roads or even later railways on tiles other than for speed of movement?

Are Markets/Grocers worth building in cities that do not have access to the relevent resource tile?

Bananafish said:
A couple of quick questions...

Is there any point in building farms/cottages etc on squares not within a cities 'thick cross' area? (assuming its not a resource square)?

Is there any bonus in building roads or even later railways on tiles other than for speed of movement?

Are Markets/Grocers worth building in cities that do not have access to the relevent resource tile?

1.well no not really, unless u plan to settle the area later i suppose

2.yes, unless ur connected by waterways, this is the only way to connect your cities for trade/religion/luxury bonus, in short, DO IT

3.most probably yes, since the game does not penalize you for your number of building per city anymore, build away, these builiding give you a .25 bonus on gold, but its a judgement call, you might be better of building a racks and some units instead

Hi, Im new to the Civ series. Love the game :)

When placing a city. If I place the city itselt sits on for example a iron tile, will it be worked by the citys workers then (if so, will it be more efficient as it is "within" the city). Or should I place the city so that the iron is within a workable tile outside the city?

br//Sten

You will get access to the resource immediately, and you may also get for example an extra hammer on iron. However if you found the city somewhere else you can mine the iron tile and get 5 or 6 hammers from it. In general I prefer not to found cities on resources, but I may make an exception if I need the resource very urgently, or if the city will have much worse available tiles if I found it on a different tile.

Can someone direct me to the Civ 4 creation program not the in game world builder.

Can someone direct me to guide about editing the game.

Okey I'll ask one more time:
I have downloaded a new civ. Where do I put it so it's playable?

Not sure exactly, but iirc, there is a sub folder within the CustomAssets folder.

My Question:

What exactly does the "No cheats" option in V1.52 do? I have read several other threads and am still unclear.

Also: How do you enable the "Always Peace" option? I just see a box for Always War or Peace, but not one for each. Am I insane?

Steve2000 said:
Not sure exactly, but iirc, there is a sub folder within the CustomAssets folder.

My Question:

What exactly does the "No cheats" option in V1.52 do? I have read several other threads and am still unclear.

Also: How do you enable the "Always Peace" option? I just see a box for Always War or Peace, but not one for each. Am I insane?

It removes the ability to use the worldbuilder in the game.

I'm almost sure there's an "Always Peace" option when you start the game.

DaviddesJ said:
That seems logical, but it's not how the game works.

While it does seem intuitively reasonable that you should be able to upgrade Knights to Cavalry without giving them new horses, it would seem less reasonable to upgrade Axemen to Macemen without access to copper/iron.

And, if we're going to get into logical analysis, another question would be whether your Knights should still be able to charge into battle if you haven't had any access to horses for the past 1000 years!

I'm not using intuitive reasoning here at all, I try to avoid interjecting reality into my games whenever possible! I'm using in-game logic and systems when I ask the question. In-game you can upgrade Pikemen to Riflemen or Infantry at any time, during any age, assuming you have the requisite technology. Not so with Knights to Cavalry. I understand the game mechanics behinds it, I just don't agree with it.:)

In-game logic also asks, where is the industrial age ground anti-aircraft unit? We had Flak in CivIII, but nothing in CivIV until Rocketry and SAM Infantry. I'm not including Fighters, as they cannot follow your armies around the map protecting them from Bombers.

Okey I'll ask one more time:

So, I'll need an answer, can anyone who knows give me an answer! I have downloaded a civ called The Kingdom Of Sweden! I really would like to play it!

First I would say look in the readme, it should tell you what to do, or look in another civilization's readme.

On a basic level you should look in the custom assets, and see if it will work in there.

Again your best bet is to look in the creation and custimation forums and see what the tutorials say.

Halmboy said:
So, I'll need an answer, can anyone who knows give me an answer! I have downloaded a civ called The Kingdom Of Sweden! I really would like to play it!

I don't know, and I've never done it. But the thread with the info you need is here somewhere, I remember reading it. I remember it as a sticky somewhere in here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158 - something about actually building your own civ that tells you how they work, basically.

I also remember that many different files belong in many different folders in your game directory

MrCynical said:
You will get access to the resource immediately, and you may also get for example an extra hammer on iron. However if you found the city somewhere else you can mine the iron tile and get 5 or 6 hammers from it.

This is misleading. E.g., if there's a plains/hill/iron tile, then you get +2 hammers in the city center if you build your city on the tile. On the other hand, if you put your city on another tile, and mine the iron, then you can work it for 6 hammers, which is +2 compared to what it would have been worth without iron. So, you're getting the +2 bonus, either way, and you might as well build directly on the iron and get the bonus immediately.

Yes, but you'd get a hammer on the city tile no matter what you found it on, so you are only getting +1 hammer from the iron, not +2.

Top Bottom