Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

gmaharriet said:
If you mean when you actually go to place your settler...activate your settler, use "go to" and move your cursor to where you think you'd like to place your new city. You'll see an outline in your civ's color and you can move it around to see what be the best location, and then just click on the square you want.
Yes, but that doesn't show the cross of the squares that already belong to another city.

thamis said:
Is it so hard to determine the city radius? It's 2 tiles in either direction, and then one tile up/down left/right from that cross. Easy counting.
It is easy to count, but it annoys me and it would be much easier if I could see it at a glance. Especially when there are multiple cities around. I don't like overlap.

Have you tried using the strategic view to draw lines in the shape of the "fat cross" around the city? I did that in my last came, and it helped me figure out where I wanted to put all my cities.

I'm not sure what power plants and such do. Apparently they provide electricity and such but I don't see electricity mentioned as a resource or a pre-requisite for building anything(unlike uranium, oil, etc..). It's not mentioned as a game concept or anywhere(that I have found) in the Civilopedia.

I reached a point where I am given the option to build the Three Gorges Dam which provides power to all of my cities on a single continent. Seems impressive, I just have no idea what that will do.

thanks for your time!

corwin90 said:
Have you tried using the strategic view to draw lines in the shape of the "fat cross" around the city? I did that in my last came, and it helped me figure out where I wanted to put all my cities.
Yes, I've done that, but it turns out rather ugly :(. Thanks though. I wish those lines would disappear when the grid is turned off, or something.

maler23 said:
I'm not sure what power plants and such do. Apparently they provide electricity and such but I don't see electricity mentioned as a resource or a pre-requisite for building anything(unlike uranium, oil, etc..). It's not mentioned as a game concept or anywhere(that I have found) in the Civilopedia.

I reached a point where I am given the option to build the Three Gorges Dam which provides power to all of my cities on a single continent. Seems impressive, I just have no idea what that will do.

thanks for your time!

Factories and some other buildings require power to work. So if you build a factory and you have no power, you don't get the hammers bonus.

Is possible to attack with multiple units at once? Even if i select the go to all units mode button, only 1 guy attacks. Reminds me to much of some horrible civ 3 happenings

Question regarding civics:

In virtually every different civics option it mentions something about maintenance - I have no idea what this is in reference to. Does it affect city improvements costs? Amount of units supported? Corruption costs?
Is there anywhere that gives specific details on the differences in costs?

Gainy said:
Question regarding civics:

In virtually every different civics option it mentions something about maintenance - I have no idea what this is in reference to. Does it affect city improvements costs? Amount of units supported? Corruption costs?
Is there anywhere that gives specific details on the differences in costs?

Every city has a maintenance cost to it, which depends on the size of the city and its distance from the capital. The city maintenance cost is shown in the upper left of the city screen.

There is no more maintenance cost for buildings.

Ah. I was using the wrong word btw, instead of maintenance it is actually 'upkeep'. I take it this is what you are describing? Or does upkeep refer to something else?

I was looking at some of my cities on the main map, and some of my cities had beakers and gold coins above their growth/construction name bar. I know what the triangle of arrows means, and the red angry face, as well as the list of religions. But I don't know what the beaker and the gold coin mean.

Can anyone help me?

thamis said:
Factories and some other buildings require power to work. So if you build a factory and you have no power, you don't get the hammers bonus.

I may be mistaken, but I think the power plants provide a bonus on TOP of the factory bonus.

Pragmatic said:
I was looking at some of my cities on the main map, and some of my cities had beakers and gold coins above their growth/construction name bar. I know what the triangle of arrows means, and the red angry face, as well as the list of religions. But I don't know what the beaker and the gold coin mean.

Can anyone help me?

Beaker indicates the city that produces most science. Similar for coins and hammers. Culture too maybe, but I don't know by heart.

I think i'm starting to understand, bear with me :p

So if it says 'High Upkeep' it means you can support a lot more units than with 'Low Upkeep'? Also this then means 'No Upkeep' makes you pay for every single unit you have?

That makes sense. However,
Why do they mention upkeep in every single civics option? If you have High Upkeep for half, and Low Upkeep for the other half, that would then balance out to Medium? Or does Upkeep refer to things under each civics option?

A picture of the civics screen: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/jamesw00tcraig/civ.jpg

Again, thanks for the help!

No, high upkeep means that you pay more money for every city that you own. No upkeep means that your cities don't cost you anything.

They mention upkeep in every civics option, because it matters. If you have three civics with high upkeep you pay more than if you have one civic with high upkeep. It's cumulative.

They changed the naming from maintenance to upkeep.

Top Bottom