Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Random question: Why do cities autoraze from time to time (i.e. no give you the opportunity to capture)? It seems to be less significant (perhaps younger) cities? Or perhaps if they only have 1 pop...?

Realised it was easy to answer my own question in Worldbuilder :p I didn't test it very extensively but it seems that if the city has 1 pop it autorazes but anything above that and you have the option to take it.

Precision is needed because you can capture some 1 pop city.

There is only one condition that permits city capture without autorazing: the target city must have reached at one point in the past size 2.

What happens to the city next doesn't matter, even a whipped archer down to size one pop.

Some people believes culture has to do with autorazing, but it doesn't.

Precision is needed because you can capture some 1 pop city.

There is only one condition that permits city capture without autorazing: the target city must have reached at one point in the past size 2.

What happens to the city next doesn't matter, even a whipped archer down to size one pop.

Aha that makes more sense. I'd be mighty annoyed if an AI had whipped their wonder spammed, holy city down to one pop and it autorazed :) Told you I didn't test it very extensively ;)

Another question.... In order to establish a trade route via coast is this all I require:

The Sailing tech,
A coastal city,
Open borders with another civ with a coastal city (whether I've discovered that city or not. i.e. it can be in the fog of war).

Actually there's a lot I don't understand about trade routes so if someone could point me towards a guide if one exists that'd be great.

Another question.... In order to establish a trade route via coast is this all I require:

The Sailing tech,
A coastal city,
Open borders with another civ with a coastal city (whether I've discovered that city or not. i.e. it can be in the fog of war).

Actually there's a lot I don't understand about trade routes so if someone could point me towards a guide if one exists that'd be great.
That's pretty much it. There also has to be a "path" across the water available--meaning that it can't be blocked by an enemy city or ship (such as barb cities, barb galleys performing blockades, etc.).

I cover trade routes in my beginners' guide (link in my sig).

If you capture a city within another player's great wall do you get any of the effects or do you need to capture the city it was built in?

Thnx, I was one of those that thought if a city had 10 points of culture, it wouldn't auto raze. It never happened enough for me to give it that much thought.

If you capture a city within another player's great wall do you get any of the effects or do you need to capture the city it was built in?

The wall you see onscreen is just a decoration (and/or a source of amusement when you see a 1-tile lake carefully walled off from the rest of the world). You have to capture the city where it was built to get any benefit.

So Hinduism is the AP religion, and all my cities have Hinduism. I was warring against my Hindu neighbor, and the first time the "stop the war" resolution came up I defied it, so I had +5 unhappiness in all my cities. The second time I voted yes, and it passed. A couple turns later, the unhappiness is gone in all but one city. Is there any reason it should remain in just one city?

As far as I know the unhappiness hit isn't affected by you voting yes on a resolution that passes, thats just the :hammers: bonus. The unhappiness first only affects cities with the AP religion in them and decays more rapidly the more non AP religions there are in that city. Likely the lone unhappy city has only Hinduism in it.

Interesting. I could swear I read somewhere that happiness remained until you voted yes on a successful resolution, but maybe I'm confusing it with the hammer bonus. You're right that the unhappy city has only Hinduism, where I think all the others also have other religions. So that must be it ... time to build a missionary.

Hi, Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but i couldn't find an answer in my naive searching.

I was watching a playthrough on youtube and the user was using an improved/streamlined interface than what civ4 BTS usually has (more info in the main display screen, color coded diplo alerts, etc). I was wondering what it was called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5K9Zxxu_KI

Thanks alot

Hi, Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but i couldn't find an answer in my naive searching.

I was watching a playthrough on youtube and the user was using an improved/streamlined interface than what civ4 BTS usually has (more info in the main display screen, color coded diplo alerts, etc). I was wondering what it was called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5K9Zxxu_KI

Thanks alot

I'm pretty sure that's the BUG mod, which I highly recommend. You can find it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274636

You're correct! Cities that are at pop 1 get aurorazed when captured.
Altought a city that has been bigger that 1 pop but has shrunk to 1 pop (e.g by whipping) after that will not autoraze.

E:
Random question: Why do cities autoraze from time to time (i.e. no give you the opportunity to capture)? It seems to be less significant (perhaps younger) cities? Or perhaps if they only have 1 pop...?

Realised it was easy to answer my own question in Worldbuilder :p I didn't test it very extensively but it seems that if the city has 1 pop it autorazes but anything above that and you have the option to take it.

Does war success against/by a vassal counts against/for the master?
Since 50% of their population and land counts toward your domination total, if they gain or lose either during a war, yes.

I mean if my vassal and I are fighting against some other civ, does my vassal's war success against him count for capitulation purposes?

I mean if my vassal and I are fighting against some other civ, does my vassal's war success against him count for capitulation purposes?

Very minimally, your vassal pretty much needs to take almost every thing before they will cap.

No . You can only count with your own war success for that. In fact, if you get (un)lucky and your AI vassal makes a better work than you in getting war success , you might even be unable to vassal the target ( or have more dificulties than usual ).

Top Bottom