Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

here is my game. I cant get acces to oil =/
ok, I cant upload it because it is 1.32Megas.

If anybody wants to take a look at it, I will send it. Please, email me at yarayara@gmail.com

thanks!

Use the easy upload system. It allows files upto 10 MB's. It's the red thingy next to the spoiler tag. See the picture below.

here is my game. I cant get acces to oil =/

i think you mean you never did have it, and then this wouldn't apply in your case. but it is possible to trade away all of your own supply of a resource, and then you'd have to have someone trade it to you. so if you did have it and don't have it now, check your active trades to make sure you didn't trade it all away and forget.

ok, iron i must get anyhow i can. i still have to work the odds in battle. in the early game archers just dont cut it as offensive units, copper helps, of course, axemen are great! i can deny the iron to my enemy with pillage, but if i hang around, throwing archers at thier cities, will my borders(if im close enuff,) grow into theirs? somehow i dont think so. i love my science, especially when my religeon is state, but evryone else seems tougher than me when it comes to the fight.
thanx for the avatar!

ok, iron i must get anyhow i can. i still have to work the odds in battle. in the early game archers just dont cut it as offensive units, copper helps, of course, axemen are great! i can deny the iron to my enemy with pillage, but if i hang around, throwing archers at thier cities, will my borders(if im close enuff,) grow into theirs? somehow i dont think so. i love my science, especially when my religeon is state, but evryone else seems tougher than me when it comes to the fight.
thanx for the avatar!
OK, I am not certain what you are asking, but I shall try and help.
ok, iron i must get anyhow i can.
In general, if you have copper you do not NEED iron. Swordmen are marginally better than axemen for attacking cities, but are very vunerable to axemen. For me it is much more important to get catapults. If you have a couple of them you can bombard the defence bonus to nothing then take the city much easier. If there are a load of units in the city then suisicde one agasinst it and up to 6 units will be damaged, normally meaning you will take much lower casualties.
i still have to work the odds in battle.
For any one battle the computer can tell you the odds. either hold alt down and mouse over the enemy unit while yours is selected, or press G (goto) and hold the mouse over the unit.
in the early game archers just dont cut it as offensive units,
Agreed. I will usually make it one of my very early game (like 2nd or 3rd cities) prioriteis to get 1 of the startegic reasorces. If you get stuck without any I recomend the beline to catapults (and then ivory becomes a very powerfull strategic reasorce).
i can deny the iron to my enemy with pillage, but if i hang around, throwing archers at thier cities, will my borders(if im close enuff,) grow into theirs?
NO!!!! If you throw archers at the city but do not take it (probably not even kill their units) you will achive nothing of use and massivly build up your war weariness. As a rule you should not attack a city at all if you have not got a good chance of taking it (liek at least 50%, hopefully > 80%, I ussually will have enough units spare to have next to no chance of not taking it). If you have to attack with archers, wait untill you have a big stack (3 to each defender if their city defence bonus is not over 20%). The only way your army can effect cultural borders is by taking their cities.
i love my science, especially when my religeon is state, but evryone else seems tougher than me when it comes to the fight.
In the end of the day science will make the difference, but agasinst the AI a humans biggest advantage is in the war, the AI is just rubbish at it. If everyone else is more advanced than you you just need to be cleverer, which is not hard against the AI. Some general hints that may or may not help;
Concentrate your force. He may have more units in his whole emipire than you, but if you have more at the point at which you fight, you will be the one killing all the damaged units and so will win the day.
Pick your fights. If he has loads of units in the city you had planned to attack (and you do not think you will be able to take it), give up, pillage and head to another city.
Get catapults. If you have enough catapults you can kill any stack or city.
HTH, and ask more questions if this does not help.

thank you samson, you answered all my queries. if its catapults they want then its catapults they get. i completely forgot about their colateral damage! and if copper is the go, i wont NEED iron till its time to build modern ships. veni vidi catapulti!

i wont NEED iron till its time to build modern ships.

Glad it was helpful. BTW the only ship you need iron for is the ironclad, and that is pretty rubbish and unly really usefull for defence if you are getting really hammered, and that is not common against the AI. What you need iron for is knights, as they have the highest strength of any unit for a long time. You can live without them though. You need iron for crossbowmen as well, but they are even easier to live without.

The other thing is to get the 50% productino bonus with ironworks. This is normally very late in the game though (just before the apollo project usually).

ok, so now i'm back to these forums. hoohay!

anyway, i need some help. after playing civ4 for quite some time, i realised i completely suck in mid-later game strategies. On the other hand, i rock until i get to the renaiscense (sp?). the reason for that is that i suck at micromanagement, and at a certain point in the game, managing all those stacks of military, workers and cities are capable of making anyone nuts.

i know this is a really broad question, but what are your hints on this? how do you work out this problems? are there any interesting keyboard shortcuts that might be useful to me?

btw: for me, mid-game spams from the point you can get the first gunpowder units to the point you get airplanes. and airplanes are the one thing i can't manage AT ALL...

ok, so now i'm back to these forums. hoohay!

anyway, i need some help. after playing civ4 for quite some time, i realised i completely suck in mid-later game strategies. On the other hand, i rock until i get to the renaiscense (sp?). the reason for that is that i suck at micromanagement, and at a certain point in the game, managing all those stacks of military, workers and cities are capable of making anyone nuts.

i know this is a really broad question, but what are your hints on this? how do you work out this problems? are there any interesting keyboard shortcuts that might be useful to me?

btw: for me, mid-game spams from the point you can get the first gunpowder units to the point you get airplanes. and airplanes are the one thing i can't manage AT ALL...

This could really be its own thread in the Strategy forum; there are no quick solutions for what you're running into.

One obvious option is to fight most of your wars earlier in the game, then settle back and work towards one of the "non-military" victories such as cultural, diplomatic, or space. That will avoid having to do anything more with your military than build and shuffle around defensive units, unless the AI turns belligerent, and you should be able to manage that with careful diplomacy.

is there any reason why some of the units graphics in fall from heaven 2 have no bodies? its kinda wierd that all i see is a floating head and the weapon.

i believe it goes on forever. all they grant is health and happiness in your cities. playing on after winning or finishing the time seems rather pointless to me as the game wont score anymore.

I'm confused... (So, what else is new??) Yarayara could see Oil on the map, but could not "access" it. I guess I'm missing what that means. I was assuming that it meant that he could not build an oil well. If I remember correctly, there are certain units that require OIL in order to build. So was that what you couldn't do??

Which leads me to a couple of questions....
(1) When trading resources, will the game allow you to trade away everything you have of a given item? So, if you have one and only one wheat field, you can trade it away and YOUR CIV does not have it?? That kind of changes the complexion of what you might want to trade...
(2) Later in the game, when checking on the status of trades with some other CIV, sometimes it says (for example) "Gems (1 of 0)" - how can that be??
(3) Is it a good idea to cancel trades when your civ develops that resource? Say you're trading for fish and you later reach the coast and develop your own fishing boats... Is it a good idea to cancel that trade - or are the consequences of that not worth it?

Which leads me to a couple of questions....
(1) When trading resources, will the game allow you to trade away everything you have of a given item? So, if you have one and only one wheat field, you can trade it away and YOUR CIV does not have it?? That kind of changes the complexion of what you might want to trade...
Yes. You can trade away your last one of a resource.

(2) Later in the game, when checking on the status of trades with some other CIV, sometimes it says (for example) "Gems (1 of 0)" - how can that be??
Along the same lines, on current trade screens, the game subtracts one from the number of that resource the civ has, to reflect the number of "extra" copies they have to trade away. If a civ is trading all of one type away, it'll say 1 of 0.

(3) Is it a good idea to cancel trades when your civ develops that resource? Say you're trading for fish and you later reach the coast and develop your own fishing boats... Is it a good idea to cancel that trade - or are the consequences of that not worth it?
Yes, cancel - you're supplying the AI with a free resource. If you cancel deals one at a time via the "what are the current deals we have?" screen, you don't get a diplo penalty for it.

Top Bottom