• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Will Civ1 and Civ2 play properly on XP or Vista if you're using one of those?

Will Civ1 and Civ2 play properly on XP or Vista if you're using one of those?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were both DOS based games....I still play Colonization occasionally, using a free DOS Emulator I picked up some long while back...they would probably work fine in conjunction with that. You can find the Emulator here

B. Possibly go back and give Civ 3 another chance. Though, I liked what I played of the Civ 4 demo.

I tried to like Civ 3 more than once. A year after I first tried it, I tried again and I just couldn't warm up to it. Once I tried Civ 4, I never looked back.

I agree with Lord Parkin's suggestion that you get simply Civ 4 and BtS. If you do, I bet it'll be more than a few months before you think about playing Civ 1 or 2 again.

I was asked to declare war on a small nation by a larger one, what would have happened if I said no? Would I then be at war with the larger nation?

I agreed of course, they could beat me and I dont like the idea of being wiped out in my first go. Took me ages before the vikings stopped taking my land.

I was asked to declare war on a small nation by a larger one, what would have happened if I said no? Would I then be at war with the larger nation?

I agreed of course, they could beat me and I dont like the idea of being wiped out in my first go. Took me ages before the vikings stopped taking my land.

Relations with the larger nation would deteriorate (something like -1: You Refused to Declare War on Our Enemy), but they wouldn't necessarily declare war on you right then. Over time, if you continually refuse their demands, are weaker, and even aid their enemies, then yes, chances are war will break out.

Welcome to CFC! :beer:

This has no doubt been asked before, but I'm not going through nearly 5000 posts to find the answer. Can the expansion packs Warlord and Beyond the Sword work simultaneously in a game with both of them implemented or can only one be used at a time? I don't have any experience with games with more than one expansion pack.

This has no doubt been asked before, but I'm not going through nearly 5000 posts to find the answer. Can the expansion packs Warlord and Beyond the Sword work simultaneously in a game with both of them implemented or can only one be used at a time? I don't have any experience with games with more than one expansion pack.

This thread is not meant to be read from start to finish. It's meant for answering quick simple questions, so you're right to ask your question without reading the thread.

Beyond the Sword includes all the changes in Warlords, so a game of Beyond the Sword is a game with both of them implemented. Note that there are a few scenarios in Warlords that are not in Beyond the Sword and these scenarios have their own rule set based on the Warlords rule set.

You're advised not to buy Warlords if you plan to get Beyond the Sword. The extra value of the scenarios is very small.

This thread is not meant to be read from start to finish. It's meant for answering quick simple questions, so you're right to ask your question without reading the thread.

Beyond the Sword includes all the changes in Warlords, so a game of Beyond the Sword is a game with both of them implemented. Note that there are a few scenarios in Warlords that are not in Beyond the Sword and these scenarios have their own rule set based on the Warlords rule set.

You're advised not to buy Warlords if you plan to get Beyond the Sword. The extra value of the scenarios is very small.

So I see. Well, I'm certainly glad that I don't have to spend an extra ten dollars. One question, though, which scenarios are lost from Warlords? I certainly hope I can still play the Chinese Unification and classical Europe scenarios.

So I see. Well, I'm certainly glad that I don't have to spend an extra ten dollars. One question, though, which scenarios are lost from Warlords? I certainly hope I can still play the Chinese Unification and classical Europe scenarios.

If you don't buy Warlords, then you don't get any of the scenario's from Warlords. You do get the scenario's from vanilla Civ4 and Beyond the Sword. Most people just play the epic game (where you start at 4000BC and play until you win), some play the great mods created in the Creation and Customization part of this forum. Few actually play the scenario's added to the game by the creators. Usually, these scenario's are nice, but not great (compared to the epic game).

If you really want to play the scenario's added by the Warlords expansion, then you'll have to buy it.

If you don't buy Warlords, then you don't get any of the scenario's from Warlords. You do get the scenario's from vanilla Civ4 and Beyond the Sword. Most people just play the epic game (where you start at 4000BC and play until you win), some play the great mods created in the Creation and Customization part of this forum. Few actually play the scenario's added to the game by the creators. Usually, these scenario's are nice, but not great (compared to the epic game).

If you really want to play the scenario's added by the Warlords expansion, then you'll have to buy it.

I see. Well, the scenarios aren't that important to me. I mostly just play the more historical Earth ones like Earth 1000 A.D., and I probably wouldn't have time for all of the scenarios. I heard that some of the scenarios can be downloaded, though. Is that true? I also heard that the unique buildings aren't available without Warlords. Is that true? Thanks for answering my questions thus far.

I don't know for the scenarios, but I doubt it; they're still the property of Firaxis.

As for the UB, they are included in BTS. Everything from warlords is in BTS except the scenarios.

Hey there. I am very very new to this.. as in yesterday.

My question is, when someone requests a trade with me like Alapabet for horseback riding (example) do i lose that trait or am i teaching them what i have and them teaching me what i have. or do i lose it completely.

thanks, i searched and found nothing on this.

cheers

i ask because i somehow changed my 17pop capital (london) to the 1 pop city of oxford

how do i change my capital (back to london that is)?

i ask because i somehow changed my 17pop capital (london) to the 1 pop city of oxford

how do i change my capital (back to london that is)?

welcome to cfc :band:
this is really the wrong subforum to ask, use this thread for questions like this :)
Anyways: build a palace - you probably accidentally put oxford to build it...

To remove any uncertainties: There is only one city with the palace in it and it's your capitol. If you build the palace in another city, the capital will change to that city.

And in addition, if you want to restore your capital to London, then you'll need to build the Palace (again) in that city.

Best to be careful about not moving your capital unless you're really sure it's a good location. ;)

Relations with the larger nation would deteriorate (something like -1: You Refused to Declare War on Our Enemy), but they wouldn't necessarily declare war on you right then. Over time, if you continually refuse their demands, are weaker, and even aid their enemies, then yes, chances are war will break out.

Welcome to CFC! :beer:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

He declared war on me anyway in the end. Has a seemingly endless amount of seige weaponary and has nearly taken a city but I'm hoping that I'm the only one with rifleman and cavalry I should be able to inflict damage back.

Top Bottom