Quick Modding Questions Thread

I was thinking, if a unit can go on the water and on land, how to make it to the land can go 1 movement, and on water can move faster, can have 2 or 3 movements on water.

SDK or Python is needed? It can be a unit's promotion, for example.

The skeleton is the part which moves. It has to be connected to the 3D model, else the unit will not move.
For some easier units this description might work.
Thank you The_J but i have some problems with blender, blender don't work correctly.
Some units can not open, even those that I make/remake. I am most work in nifskope.

Moderator Action: 2 posts have been moved to here.

I was thinking, if a unit can go on the water and on land, how to make it to the land can go 1 movement, and on water can move faster, can have 2 or 3 movements on water.

SDK or Python is needed? It can be a unit's promotion, for example.

In the PromotionInfos.xml there's the tag TerrainDoubleMoves available.
So double speed on water could be doable, but not more.

Thank you The_J but i have some problems with blender, blender don't work correctly.
Some units can not open, even those that I make/remake. I am most work in nifskope.

How do you try to open them? Via the "open" menu (-> wrong) or via the "import" menu (-> right)?
And are all the necessary additional scripts installed?

In the PromotionInfos.xml there's the tag TerrainDoubleMoves available.
So double speed on water could be doable, but not more.

<DomainMods/>
<TerrainDoubleMoves/>
<FeatureDoubleMoves/>

Sorry i don't see this early or i am not pay attention.
<TerrainDoubleMoves>
???????? <-- Which tags are inside? In original Civ4BTS CIV4PromotionInfos.xml they are only tag which is bold above this
</TerrainDoubleMoves>

How do you try to open them? Via the "open" menu (-> wrong) or via the "import" menu (-> right)?
And are all the necessary additional scripts installed?

I am import, not open i know some work with blender and i have already all the necessary additional script installed,
but some models blender don't want import say similar like here
without this part:"check console" and load model only with bones (some black lines)"
Blender show error and nothing import, sometimes only bones, this is for some vanilla units and for lots of custom created units.
Maybe version is bad, or installed with errors or bugs. I don't know :confused:

Actually I tried this tag before.
Correct me if I am wrong but...
It seems to help only if the terrain requires more than 1 movement point normally to move through, like hills.
Using it for terrain which has no movement penalty does nothing at all.

Thus if coast and ocean are still like BTS with no movement penalty, giving it double movement will still do nothing...

-> Crap.
Then it would need SDK.

I am import, not open i know some work with blender and i have already all the necessary additional script installed,
but some models blender don't want import say similar like here

Ah, remember that.
Damn.
I think one of the tutorial threads has a specific setup listed, so a version combination with which it does work. Not sure if it was Ekmek's thread though :dunno:.

Who is right now?

Ah, remember that.
Damn.
I think one of the tutorial threads has a specific setup listed, so a version combination with which it does work. Not sure if it was Ekmek's thread though :dunno:.

Maybe is version problem? :think: Or just contact Ekmek to see this thread :)

hi guys it's me again :) . first of all i'd like to thank platyping and leoreth for their answers. couldn't reply earlier cause i was too busy fixing other stuff that came up when rearranging the techs so i thought i'd solve the "easy" ones first before step into deep water (sdk compiling).
in the meantime, smth not very easy came up. i added a new farm improvement in order to be available only for "plains" terrain (the terrain which gives 1 coin 1 hammer) but whatever i do, i can't get it to work, it still becomes available for grassland too. i have experimented with the values but i can't fix it. does anyone have a clue how to achieve this? am i doing smth wrong?
the pic with the xml entries might help

Capture.PNG

Please pay attention that it will be available on grassland, as long as the plot is a) on a fresh water side (irrigation doesn't count) and b) fits the minimum yields (which are on top of the improvement entry).
That's also why you can build a farm on a tundra tile at a river, despite the fact that tundra is not listed as available terrain. (that might be a bug, don't know, but that is how it is)
If you want to make it only available on plains, I'd suggest setting the minimum yields additionally to 1 hammer.

thanks The_J, i'll try what you said and also you gave me a great idea. i'll set all entries like "available if fresh water", e.t.c, to zero and leave only "terrains make valid" available, in case the other entries override this one!

I'm not sure what I did, but the victory sound effect after a user combat win now has some weird espionage sound effect. It kind of sounds like a sci-fi underwater echo.:confused:

I've looked at several places and can't figure out what went wrong. Any thoughts?

The ping sound maybe?
But really no idea :dunno:.

thanks The_J, i'll try what you said and also you gave me a great idea. i'll set all entries like "available if fresh water", e.t.c, to zero and leave only "terrains make valid" available, in case the other entries override this one!

...er...I think you'll then not be able to build a farm anywhere.

4 quick questions:
#1) Is there any way to remove the movement penalty for an amphibious landing?

#2) Is there any way/existing mod that would allow paratroops to perform paradrops from something like an aircraft carrier or someway to paradrop in paratroopers from offshore? (I've experimented with a work boat that makes an improvement that is basically a sea fort, but it only allowed paradrops when it was in my cultural borders)

#3) Has anyone made an AI script that allows the computer to utilize land transports?
I've made a Helicopter unit that can carry marines, but the computer won't use it.

#4) Is there anyway to allow an air unit to have a chance to "withdraw" from combat without being destroyed? I've added a stealth fighter unit, but giving it an evasion chance reduces its effectiveness at taking down enemy air cover, so I'd rather give it a "withdraw" capability

#1) Done that before with python for a wonder. Not very efficient in terms of performance so remade it

Top Bottom