Quick Questions and Answers

And if the jungle has any resource on it (bananas, citrus, etc.) you can't build a trading post on that tile. Plantation, road/railroad and fort are the only options.

Which is irritating. Usually I don't build banana plantations for just this reason. It's one thing I really miss from Civ 4: being able to choose what improvement fits best, regardless of what resources are there.

No, it reduces unhappiness only from non-occupied cities I.E. non-puppeted cities.

I do not believe this is true. Puppet cities are not occupied, only annexed cities without a courthouse (with the :c5occupied: symbol) are occupied. I don't have a useful save handy to confirm this with the Forbidden Palace, I'll try and note it in my next game and report back, if no one else has confirmed by then.

I do not believe this is true. Puppet cities are not occupied, only annexed cities without a courthouse (with the :c5occupied: symbol) are occupied. I don't have a useful save handy to confirm this with the Forbidden Palace, I'll try and note it in my next game and report back, if no one else has confirmed by then.
I just checked this. You're right. My bad.

yes. the jungle is removed if you place a plantation or a mine on it. only trading posts and roads dont remove the jungle. and you cant improve it by only having calendar. you must also have bronze working to clear the jungle.
and you unfortunately you cannot put a trading post ontop a banana... for food and science bonus and gold bonus.

Do Golden Ages from great artists drop in length each time you use them?
Does the French UA apply to puppet cities?

Not sure on the artists, as I haven't popped enough artists in recent patches to find out. My assumption is they no longer reduce in time like they did when all GP's could do it. The tooltip does not mention a reduction, IIRC, whereas it did in the "everybody" version.

The French UA definitely does apply to puppets (or occupied cities, for that matter) once they're out of resistance.

In G&K, where only a Great Artist can trigger a Golden Age, the base length of each Golden Age is 8 turns (at standard speed), subject to 50% extensions for Chitzen Itza, Freedom finisher and the Persian UA. No shortening of subsequent GAs (as was the case in vanilla).

What is the best way to handle foreign missionaries that enter your territory? Killing the missionary is of course the most tempting, but starting a war is maybe a bit of an overreaction. I don't have open borders so attrition should eventually do him in, but they have good movement so they're hard/expensive to block in.

As you say, your options are limited. Use a few units to trap them (e.g., next to a a mountain range) and let attrition kill them. Herd them into the arms of a barb. DOW the civ that sent it and kill the missionary.

What is the best way to handle foreign missionaries that enter your territory? Killing the missionary is of course the most tempting, but starting a war is maybe a bit of an overreaction. I don't have open borders so attrition should eventually do him in, but they have good movement so they're hard/expensive to block in.

have an inquisitor in a city. missionaries wont generally convert those cities and for the cities they are willing to convert you can go and undo it with the inquisitor. then buy another inquisitor if you only have one. keeping 6 units directly around 1 city is also fine but i only do that while i wait for my inquisitor to be bought.

have an inquisitor in a city. missionaries wont generally convert those cities and for the cities they are willing to convert you can go and undo it with the inquisitor. then buy another inquisitor if you only have one. keeping 6 units directly around 1 city is also fine but i only do that while i wait for my inquisitor to be bought.

Turns out it was a great prophet and his conversion seemed to ignore the inquisitor I had as "sentry" in the city, and no attrition happened of course. Had to tidy up a few times with inquisitors. Mostly an annoyance as my Maya ICS produced about 110+ fpt and inquisitors were still cheap during renaissance era.

Thanks for the help, good trick to know when it is just missionaries :)

Turns out it was a great prophet and his conversion seemed to ignore the inquisitor I had as "sentry" in the city, and no attrition happened of course. Had to tidy up a few times with inquisitors. Mostly an annoyance as my Maya ICS produced about 110+ fpt and inquisitors were still cheap during renaissance era.

Thanks for the help, good trick to know when it is just missionaries :)

works the same with prophets regarding removing their heresy but ive seen the presence of an inq entice a prophet to target another city too, it just might not be a 100%-of-the-time thing. also prolly related to diff. i generally only worry about my cap. and since i routinely take Itinerant Preachers or Religious text, the ones they get will be reconverted soon enough.

having 50+ fpt means you can get an inq quickly enough and if you are saving for another good Gperson you can sometimes insta-buy one (1000 for your first GA or GS and you are at 500+ or something). but you have to weight the timing of it. GA/GS/GE are usually crucial for timing. if it throws it off just deal with the conversion.

I was just wondering, is there any way to send a spy to a foreign city without it trying to steal technology?

I was just wondering, is there any way to send a spy to a foreign city without it trying to steal technology?

They will always TRY and steal tech, if a tech is available. It's easy enough to get the scout report and send them on somewhere else though, well before the steal goes through.

Is there any reason NOT to build your cities on hills? I know you get extra production and a defensive bonus, but is there a trade-off?

The main trade-off is (A) extra city defense strength and your city center producing 1 additional hammer vs. (B) ability to build a windmill. Windmills come a bit late (Renaissance), only provide 2 hammers and their production bonus is limited to producing buildings -- OK but arguably less valuable than the extra hammer for a much longer period. On the other hand, if that hill is the only potential source of production (lonely hill in a sea of grassland tiles), then the hill will be more valuable as a future mine.

having 50+ fpt means you can get an inq quickly enough and if you are saving for another good Gperson you can sometimes insta-buy one (1000 for your first GA or GS and you are at 500+ or something). but you have to weight the timing of it. GA/GS/GE are usually crucial for timing. if it throws it off just deal with the conversion.

Have had powerful religions before, but must admit that a Maya ICS (Emperor, Pangea+) really showed me how powerful faith can be. Admittedly I got a desert start and managed quick expansion with mt sinai in second city, giving me an enhanced religion before third pantheon was chosen. A combo of desert folklore, ceremonial burial, asceticism for super-pyramid, pagodas and religious texts has created a world of happiness allowing almost problem-free ICS and 95% of faith spent on pagodas in 20-25 of my cities (sz 3-6). With happiness sorted, trading could be done Holland-style (trade everything always) to compensate less emphasis on economy in ICS.

Will be interesting to see later if this can be done as nicely with Immortal as well.

Is there any reason NOT to build your cities on hills? I know you get extra production and a defensive bonus, but is there a trade-off?

Not really. You can only build the windmill on the flat, and you might need the hill to work as a tile for extra production in a generally flat grasslandy/jungly area, but hills are better if you can.

Top Bottom