1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

You get access to the strategic resource. I believe the returns have been improved. As an example, I have a city on an island with coal- I am getting four hammers and three food. (Unfortunately I don't have any other mined coal to compare it with). I earlier versions of the game you would get access to the resource but every city had a standard return.

I can't help with food/ luxury with a city on top.

2. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

settling on lux will connect the tile if you have teched the appropriate tech. if you settle on an Ivory but dont have trapping yet you wont get the happiness from the lux. but when you do you will get it. you cant really do that with a strat as knowing where the strat is means youve unlocked the tech to use it (iron, horses, coal, oil, aluminum, uranium). but often you'll retroactively get a bonus when you find that you settled on coal or some later strat.

also, it is a common strategy to settle on luxes even if they arent the ideal tile (not on a hill or by a river, etc). since settling a city has a built in -4 happiness cost settling on a lux will negate that. lux resources only become unavailable when you place a Great Person improvement on it, though Im not sure if a Manufactory does that or not.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Manufactory behaves like other GP tile improvements -- connects strategics, but not luxuries.

4. Hammer Rabbi

i thought so too, but i rarely settle GEs and pretty much never on any resource. thanks for clearing it up.

5. Browd

Since you're only settling a manufactory to maximize hammers in a city, settling it on an improvable resource or a hill is counterproductive.

The best formula is: Settle manufactory on grasslands or plains tile + improve the resource (or mine the hill tile) = hammers maximized.

6. Hammer Rabbi

the only time ive settled them is late game when im either gifted one from a CS or forgot that one was going to generate naturally. its pretty much only for Utopia since you can rush the UN and SciVC is saved for hubble rush. the handful of times ive settled it so late that all my needed tiles are worked anyway with a 35+ population. its either a hill or farm for me. at worst if it's a hill i lose a net 1 or 2 hammers which becomes negligible that late in the game. but the food loss is always better when you arent likely to get a pop for 15+ turns.

7. Browd

Agree. When I've done that, I've unemployed every citizen working a non-hammer food tile (I've usually had enough stored food to get through the turns needed to build Utopia without losing any population).

8. Daedulus

Daedulus Chieftain

Is Civ 5 available other than through Steam?

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Civ 5 is available for sale in many places, including digital stores like GreenManGaming and the boxed version at physical stores.
    However Civ 5 is a Steamworks title which means every copy (including boxed with disc) must be activated on Steam. If you're installing from disc, it's likely you'll need to download a very large patch (more than a GB) at the time of activation before you can play the game.

10. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

Just to clarify this, I found another source of coal and settled a city nearby and mined it.

With a city settled on coal on a hill I was getting four:hammers: and three food. With mining the coal (also on a hill) I was getting the anvil and no food. Both, of course, gave access to coal.

11. Daedulus

Daedulus Chieftain

>must be activated on Steam.

That [expletive deleted]!

12. ihop0

ihop0 Chieftain

Do civs ever try to steal tech from non-capital cities? I can't remember them ever having taken from a city other than my capital, I'm wishing I'd paid more attention.

13. Browd

On rare occasion they will.

14. Ford

Ford Warlord

There's nothing wrong with that Marble tile. Iron is already available near Rome and it will be available in the not too distant future in the new city.
    Also, settling on the Marble saves building a mine there and is close enough to the mountain giving access to an observatory as well as later wonders like Machu Pichu and Neuschwanstein. It's also a pretty good site for Petra., next to a desert.
    The useless desert tile is there, sure, but settling one hex further up also lets you reach the more profitable hexes further north, improving growth.

15. charity

charity Chieftain

Foreign trade routes? Can you make these and generate gold from them? If so, does that civ have to have open borders with you for you to generate the gold? Example: you build a route to a foreign city when you have open borders and then the open borders agreement ceases. Would you still be collecting tolls? What about city states? Can you make routes with them? Do they have to be friends or allies with you?

16. charity

charity Chieftain

Global happiness & Local happiness? They started using these terms with the expansion. What do they mean?

17. Kalmah

Kalmah Chieftain

18. Browd

Local City happiness is happiness that is generated in a city and can only offset unhappiness from population in that city. It existed in vanilla, but wasn't emphasized (it showed up as the mechanism where happiness from circuses, coliseums, etc. was limited to the population of that city). In G&K, every happiness building in a city (circuses, coliseums, theaters, stadiums, stoneworks, and the new religious buildings -- cathedrals, pagodas, etc.) generates Local City Happiness. In fact, every religious belief that generates happiness (except the two happiness-giving founder beliefs) gives Local City Happiness.

Global Happiness is basically everything else--base happiness from difficulty level, happiness from luxuries, happiness from most social policies (except social policies that give happiness from buildings or military garrisons), happiness from Wonders, etc.

The effect of that this is that you can't jam a pagoda, circus, Colosseum, theater and other happiness buildings into a 3-pop city to offset unhappiness in other, larger cities.

19. Browd

20. Browd

No foreigh trade routes in CiV. Only trade routes in CiV are inside your own empire. All trades with other civs is done through the Trade screen.