Quick Questions and Answers

You have to triangulate on the answer, but the Units listing and the Resources listing (both under the Info Panel -- top left corner -- normally shows what tech you are currently researching) will help.

Under Resources, the Strategic Resources listing should show how much iron you have and how much is being used. This combines both iron you have improved plus iron from CS allies plus iron from AI trades, minus the Iron you may have traded away to another AI and minus iron you have used. Let's say it says you have 6 iron and 6 used. To check trades (maybe you traded away 1 iron), check the Diplomacy/Deals tab. Assuming no trades, what units, besides the swordsmen, are using the iron?

Go to the Units listing and sort by name. The most common iron-using units are frigates, swordsmen and longswords (and their various unique unit equivalents). If you are unsure of whether a unit requires iron, use the in-game Civilopedia to quickly check whether the unit requires iron.

The most common iron-using units are frigates, swordsmen and longswords (and their various unique unit equivalents).

Also, as he is playing vanilla, catapults and trebuchets.

How do you control the AI's difficulty in multiplayer?

I was experimenting with this, and hosted a game myself, I set "myself" to Deity and based on the AI's scores, it seems like all of them were on Deity.

So what happens if me and a friend both set our difficulties to deity, will all the AI be deity?

Better yet, what would happen if I set my difficulty to King, and my friend set his to deity. How does this affect the game?

Thanks.

AI difficulty is set globally to the lowest human player's setting. If you were at Deity and your friend at King, you would have a few more handicaps (happiness, etc) than he would, but all your opponents would be playing at the King level.

AI difficulty is set globally to the lowest human player's setting. If you were at Deity and your friend at King, you would have a few more handicaps (happiness, etc) than he would, but all your opponents would be playing at the King level.

Ah, okay cool. Thanks a lot.

Is razing Civs less of a diplo hit?

Sweden attacked me in one game, and I pushed him back and took one of his only 2 cities, and decided to raze it since it was trash. Naturally everyone thinks I'm a warmonger because this game makes little sense, but did razing make my warmonger penalty less severe as opposed to me puppetting the city?

Razing a city does give you a bigger warmonger penalty than the create puppet... killing off a civilization does give you a worse warmonger penalty.

i keep seeing AI civs building sometimes very long roads to my borders, almost inviting me to build link roads to the city they seem aiming for, i dont know why they do it? are they preparing for invasion or does it help the caravan route they often seem to follow somehow?

About to win a Diplomatic game on Prince with Arabia in which I have been ally with all 16 City States easily, been 2 and 3 eras ahead, and had nearly no contest whatsoever when I finally decided to wipe out Russia, and am about to do the same to France cause they denounced me and are right there so why not.

Feel Prince is just getting too easy. Already won a science game on prince and diplomatic is so in the bag i'm just getting ready to fight france to break up the turn tedium lol. What civs do you recommend for the first move into King? Need to get a first win on Cultural and Domination, want to stick with Pangaea a while before moving into more continental or advanced water maps. Have complete game so all civs are on the table.

You can do it city by city. In the city view screen, if you open the citizen management tab (top right) there is an "Avoid growth" check box. It does what it says -- food will accumulate in the growth bucket to the amount required to spawn a new citizen but no new citizen will spawn as long as that box is checked.

Does your city have to be literally right next to a mountain for an observatory, or can can there be a tile gap like Machu Picchu?

Hey guys, let's talk roads. I'm so used to automatically linking all resources to my cities via roads like in Civ 4 however I think that the maintenance costs are what's financially crippling me. I've determined that you don't have to build roads for Luxury resources, but do you still have to build roads for farms and bonus resources, and for strategic resources? I have a feeling farms don't need roads anymore.

You don't need roads for any of that. You only need roads to form city connections (trade routes in vanilla and G&K), to extend the range of trade routes (BNW only), or to speed troop movement. Anything else is an utter waste of road maintenance cost.

Quick question: I stole some workers in my early game from some city states and one of them is angry with me. Resulting in:

1) -20 resting point with that city state.
2) faster decay of influence with that and other city states (at least I think so).

The game says I can make amends by gifting or completing quests with that city state. But nothing seems to work: giving twice 1000 gold, completing quest, being ally for a short time. What are the mechanics for making amends?

By the way I am playing on immortal - china - standard map - standard speed.

The damage is done. DOWing more than 1 city-state yields the results you observe (plus you no longer get "meeting gold" from other CSs you haven't met yet), and there is no way to eliminate that malus. Lesson is to only DOW one CS per game.

What the tooltip means to say is that you can still make an affected CS your friend or ally, but you have to deal with the -20 resting point (which can be counteracted by the Patronage policy Consulates (in BNW; Aesthetics in vanilla and G&K)) and your influence will still decay faster (can be offset by the Patronage opener and by spreading your religion to that CS).

The damage is done. DOWing more than 1 city-state yields the results you observe (plus you no longer get "meeting gold" from other CSs you haven't met yet), and there is no way to eliminate that malus. Lesson is to only DOW one CS per game.

What the tooltip means to say is that you can still make an affected CS your friend or ally, but you have to deal with the -20 resting point (which can be counteracted by the Patronage policy Consulates (in BNW; Aesthetics in vanilla and G&K)) and your influence will still decay faster (can be offset by the Patronage opener and by spreading your religion to that CS).

Damn, that is tough. Would I have gotten away with it if I had just made peace with the former City State, before I robbed the second..?

Damn, that is tough. Would I have gotten away with it if I had just made peace with the former City State, before I robbed the second..?

No. The single CS DoW game mechanism is quite strict. There is no particular penalty for keeping the DoW going though. If you want to rob more than one worker, do not make peace in the meantime, and keep robbing the same CS. A second CS DoW, even if on the same CS you previously DoWed (and then made peace with) earn you the penalty. If the CS DoWs you (because they were allied with an AI who you are at war with) there is no particular diplomatic hit. Just don’t conquer any CS!

Top Bottom