1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

You can't restore CS that are puppet/annexed by Venice or Austria using their UA. They've forever lost their CS status and can never be liberated. I think it reduces the number of votes required for WL by 1 though, so it isn't as bad as you think.

2. TinyLittleBirdy

TinyLittleBirdy Warlord

Why is the AI so bad at peace treaties? I was playing a game, and since France was far away from me, I declared war on them for money form Germany. I never attacked any of their units, but after a while, they gave me a city for free. Even though I did absolutely nothing.

3. Acken

Acken Deity

Because the logic is faulty

4. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

depends on the difficulty, your military score, your economics and your happiness
    If you exceed theirs then they will consider you a threat and will try to give you unresistable proposition
    I tryed this way on emperor once and the result was... well lets just say they never sent units to me and neither did I, still they popped up with peace treaty asking me for all my money, GPT and a city

5. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

And on deity, if you don't take a city some AI won't even settle for peace. Even if you slaughter their units, they just keep pumping more and it doesn't account for the fact that they're losing units and still wont settle for peace.

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

On Deity, why should the AI care if it's losing units, on that level, they are dirt cheap for the AI to replace.

You have to take AI cities to actually hurt it on this difficulty level.

7. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

Should I build my city next to a mountain on a river, or settle on the coast where I could use internal food trade roots via cargo ships with another coast city? The only reason the mountain/river looks good is for the observatory. Haven't played in over a year!

8. Acken

Acken Deity

Do you have another city on the coast ? Are there sea ressources ? How good is the mountain spot etc.

You can get approximately the same amount of science through a good food location if you get approximately 25% more pop compared to an observatory. That's the rule of thumb I use. And less happiness, more gold more production as a result.

9. yew

yew Chieftain

How do I see how many gems or marble I have?An ally civlization recently requested for gems for 30 turns.I agreed to the terms but I can't find any screens that will tell me how many gems I currently have or how many gems I will be losing or giving away during every turn etc

10. Acken

Acken Deity

It's in the hapiness tooltip.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You can also pull down the resources tab from the top left menu (which ordinarily shows you what tech you are researching).

12. stancollins

stancollins Chieftain

I have just moved up to King difficulty and have encountered something unexpected. I have read several forum posts on playing King and have not seen it mentioned before. In my games, whenever one of the civs meets me or any other, they immediately denounce them. With every civ denouncing every other, it is impossible to get reasonable trade deals for luxuries (even 1 for 1 trades). Is this normal? I am playing BNW with the latest patch.

13. Karabistr

Karabistr Chieftain

Tell me pls what is the last official patch?

14. stancollins

stancollins Chieftain

For me it's 1.0.3.279 (from Steam)

15. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

Thanks. I chose to settle on the coast. Yeah I plan on settling another city on the coast 7 tiles away. Plus there is a fish recource.

16. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

What's the consensus for how the latest patch changed things in single player? My standard 4 city tradition on deity now seems more challenging. I just can't expand like as quick as I used to.

17. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The very last one didn't affect single player at all, but was simply a multi player fix.

The major one before it basically nerfed the old 1/2 Tradition center first then any other tree next to the ground.

But the only impact to the full tradition (besides being forced to pick as first policy what was previously the least of them) is that hand building a Monument in the capital is now desirable if you don't stumble upon a cultural ruin early to avoid losing time to legalism.

18. yew

yew Chieftain

According to the upper right screen with the oil barrel symbol,I only have 3 oil left. Does that mean I should go out and look for new tiles with oil resources or will the oil supply replenish itself?

19. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

It only replenishes if the units consuming oil are destroyed or disbanded. You can see how many oil resources you have (including imports and exports through trades) and are consuming from the Resources tab (top left drop-down menu, which normally shows what tech you are researching).

To build more than 3 more oil-consuming units, you will need to find more oil. Could be located at an unimproved tile inside your borders, or at a city-state you can ally, of at an AI with whom you can trade, or located in the borders of an AI city that you can conquer.

20. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

I am currently playing as the Songhai, and it seems the Piety Policy which gives extra faith to Temples (and Shrines) doesn't apply to their Mud Mosque UB, even though the double production from the opener still applies. Is that correct?