1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Not totally sure on puppet cities. I think you get their culture, but not 100% sure. I have seen their borders grow, so it does apply locally, if not globally. Once you annex them, you definitely get all wonder culture. Occasionally I've had normal culture buildings survive conquest, which also provide their culture once annexed, although of course at that point your policy bucket gets bigger too.

2. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

Thanks a bunch. It just goes to show what you can miss if you don't pay attention. I've played several games now where I never built roads, just harbors, then I built railroads for the production bonus because I thought I needed too.

My next question!

For road/railroad maintenance, how does the game determine which ones you own?

Does it track which roads/railroads you build or which ones are in your territory?

If I build railroads in another player's territory, or if I build them in unclaimed territory that then gets claimed, do they pay for them, or do I?

I can see it either way because if they belong to the builder, then she has to pay for them even if she loses them. But if they belong to the owner of that tile, then you could theoretically bankrupt allies or city-states by drowning them in road spaghetti.

And this just gets even further complicated by annexing and puppet states...

3. The Massacrerer

The Massacrerer Chieftain

Couldn't find this anywhere, so I figured I'd try a quick post before starting a new thread.

Can someone please explain to me how, every game, I am battling Civilizations who have a +33% Combat Bonus In friendly Territories...when they are in MY territory?

Whether they just entered my territory, or are deep in my territory, many times I am at an immediate 33% disadvantage, and it's a bit frustrating.

Any ideas?

4. Xger

Xger Chieftain

I know there is a bug related to the AI thinking everything in line of sight is in its territory, perhaps what you are experiencing is an extension of that.

I just did this in a game, and yes you get the +8 culture while it is a puppet.
    If the road/RR is in anyone's territory, they pay for it, regardless of who built it. If it is not in any territory, the builder pays for it.

5. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

Thank you very much. Now, just to be a jerk, I kind of want to open borders with an AI and send a fleet of workers to railroad them into submission.

6. Etamitu

Etamitu Chieftain

I didn't see this thread was here before I posted a thread, sorry :(

Anyways, how do I capture cities from different continents, err how to I get troops there? I have the frigate boat

Edit: What I'm wondering is how to get infantry units to different continents across the ocean. I have the aircraft carrier, but I can't find a boat in the research tree that lets me take over units

7. Xger

Xger Chieftain

While I've not done this myself, keep in mind there is a "Remove Road" command. Not sure if the AI would use it in that situation.
    All units made after the discovery of Optics (3 techs in from the beginning, Pottery, Sailing, Optics) have the "Embark" promotion. Any unit made before the discovery will gain the promotion after entering friendly territory, or by expending experience.

Any unit with Embark can move onto the water by itself (before Astronomy they can only go on coast, after ocean). They become their own boat. Note: Embarked units have no defense, and will be destroyed is an enemy military naval vessel passes over them.

8. WadeRetroSatana

WadeRetroSatana Chieftain

I haven't noticed that myself, but I have a similar question:

I've lost a couple of well trained ranged units that I was trying to keep safe because the rivers don't seem to limit the movement of enemy units - when attacking at least. I've expected that the river stops the advancement right after crossing it and positioned my ranged units accordingly. That has resulted in losing them after the AI just rushes over the river and kills my precious units...

Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

9. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Can you give us the specific units involved?

10. Zdarg

Zdarg Chieftain

I am playing as Arabian on Archipelago map, not building any roads. I've built harbors in all my cities including the capital, but I still haven't any trade routes. Is it a bug or do I miss something?

11. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Are you sure the trade routes are not blocked by some barbarian ships perhaps?
    Can you see a path, through water, from one city with a harbor to your capital?

I'm not sure if The Wheel is needed to establish trade routes, but maybe you don't have that tech?

12. Zdarg

Zdarg Chieftain

Yes to both questions. And I have The Wheel.

13. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Hmm, that's strange Zdarg. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you, I am a relative newcomer. Can you go to the tactical view (F10) and tick off Trade Routes and post a screen shot or maybe a saved game? I'm interested in seeing this.

14. WadeRetroSatana

On the latest occasion I was playing as France and was attacking America. I was gathering troops around one of their cities so that the ranged units were supposed to be safe from melee attack by having an empty hex between the units and the river that was between those units and the city. It seemed to me that the city was empty on the previous turn and the next turn there was a seemingly new minuteman unit which attacked my archer without stopping at the river.

Currently at work + on phone, so sorry for any typos and brainfarts :p

15. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I can think of at least one way this could happen. When units get upgraded, they retain some of their special abilities. For example, it can be quite amusing when your scout hits a ruins that upgrades it to an archer, and this archer can now move swiftly through forests and across rivers. In fact it even provides a strong advantage because it can move onto hills and fire on the same turn.

Maybe the units you saw were upgraded from a scout or were getting the terrain movement bonus due to a UU ability (or former UU ability).

16. Zdarg

Zdarg Chieftain

Here is the save.

Ok, I dropped that game and started another one, to see if the effect is repeatable. This time, I've discovered Optics and tried to embark my land units to explore neighbor islands. I failed. There is no embarking button for either spearman and scout, though worker has it. In Arabian game embarking worked properly.
    Another save for this problem.

Attached Files:

17. WadeRetroSatana

Those are good points.

It was a couple of days ago, so I can't remember for sure, but I think the city was first empty and the minuteman unit appeared on it at the same round it attacked my archer (was actually crossbowman).

The city was blocked from access on the land, so I would think the city had either to build or buy the minuteman unit or get it from the sea (where I didn't necessarily see very far). If it was the case of bought or embarked unit, shouldn't it wait for the next turn until it could attack? Also, if it was bought or built it shouldn't have the required promotions.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how much XP you need to get the ambiguous promotion. Maybe the enemy had enough buildings, SPs and whatnot to boost the XP enough for it?

Which leads to another question? There isn't apparently a way to see the promotions of an unit that's located in a city?

18. sg2009

sg2009 Chieftain

Hi, I'm new on Civ 5. Just install the game and every text on the screen is in black:( no idea how to change that... could any one give me some hints? Thanks!

Attached Files:

19. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Not sure what causes it, but I would suspect video drivers. I wold update mine. Then if still an issue I would check my video card to see if it supports DX10/11. If not try the game in DX9.

20. Xger

Xger Chieftain

Minutemen naturally have the "Ignore Terrain Cost" promotion. So it was just finished built and simply attacked.