Quick Questions and Answers

the info on screen says 20 turns at friends and 17 at ally but in several test games where i take a military friend/ally asap on marathon ive gotten the 1st new unit at 26, 26 and 29 turns in 3 games and no second unit in any games after 30 more turns. Does anyone know how often they will appear?

Where did my saves go. Not in automatic or steam?

As far as I can tell, when you start a new game, the autosaves for the previous game get placed into a folder called 'prev'.

Located at

My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single\auto\prev

If they were not autosaves , then they should just be in the 'single' folder.

I have a question about Railroads, but didn't want to make a thread for it.

When you get railroads, do you have to connect the cities WITH A RAILROAD to get the +50% railroad bonus to production?

I thought you did, but I was just playing a game where my cities were only connected by harbors, and yet when I moused over production, I noticed they had the +50% Railroad Bonus.

I have a question about Railroads, but didn't want to make a thread for it.

When you get railroads, do you have to connect the cities WITH A RAILROAD to get the +50% railroad bonus to production?

I thought you did, but I was just playing a game where my cities were only connected by harbors, and yet when I moused over production, I noticed they had the +50% Railroad Bonus.

IIRC the Harbor connection counts as a RR connection.

Yep.
One way you can think about it is that when you research railroad, all water tiles turn into railroad tiles, and think of a harbor as connecting a land-road network to that awesomely big water-based one.

If I am in the middle of a game, is there a quick/easy way to check the map settings? Stuff like size, age, climate, # of civs, and so on?

If I am in the middle of a game, is there a quick/easy way to check the map settings? Stuff like size, age, climate, # of civs, and so on?

Not sure about age and climate, but you can check the size and a few other things in the save or load screens. # of civs you can check in the victory progress screen.

Is it just me or does the random map size really always result in duel game?

I've tried beginning a game with random in all possible settings three or four times and always end up with duel map. It's funny when it says the size is random and isn't revealed to player but you can tell the map size automatically when the first civ report comes in as it lists the unmet civilizations there too so you know the map size from the number of civs...

Is it just me or does the random map size really always result in duel game?

I've tried beginning a game with random in all possible settings three or four times and always end up with duel map. It's funny when it says the size is random and isn't revealed to player but you can tell the map size automatically when the first civ report comes in as it lists the unmet civilizations there too so you know the map size from the number of civs...

IIRC: For whatever reason the random map setting will reproduce the last map setting unless you hit the randomize button too. FYI you will not get any map achievement w/random map, at least I haven't.

Hi, I've just began to play civilization 5. First time I ever played civ actually. But I have some questions:

1. If the IA wins by science for example, does the game ends?
2. If you win by domination or something else does the game ends?
3. Can you play after you have no turns left? Like you are in the medieval era and all turns are gone the game ends. And if this is true, how can make it so that you can play after you ran out of turns or even after you have won?
4. If you have like 2 recources of the same kind on your land, (purple-edge ring) is beneficial to build 2 mines,...?
5.If you need a resource and is not inside your purple edge ring (and to far away to buy it), do you always have to build another city?
6. Should I only have 1 capital, conquered cities, and cities where there are useful resources? Or is it a good idea to build more?

Also can anyone give me some cool mods?

Sorry for the many questions, but with this information I can really get started.

Hi liking the game so far just got one question for now as ive found the answers to the others i had.

I know roads now cost 1 gold in maintenance (bummer) and you dont need them to connect your resources to your cities but if you do build a road on an improved tile say a farm or trading post etc does that tile then gain 1 gold (i.e grow) more quickly than it would have done without the road.

Help! Ever since the patch I cannot annex a city later after I've made them a puppet.

When I click on the city, it just shows me the locked puppet-state view of the city UI. It doesn't give me the option to annex...

I had puppet states stuck like that for the entire game.

Help! Ever since the patch I cannot annex a city later after I've made them a puppet.

When I click on the city, it just shows me the locked puppet-state view of the city UI. It doesn't give me the option to annex...

I had puppet states stuck like that for the entire game.

Can you confirm whether or not the following suggestion works?

From the world map, when you click on the city, does a popup box show, asking you whether you want to view the city, annex it, or raze it? Note: If it's a city state or capital city it can't be razed.

Hi liking the game so far just got one question for now as ive found the answers to the others i had.

I know roads now cost 1 gold in maintenance (bummer) and you dont need them to connect your resources to your cities but if you do build a road on an improved tile say a farm or trading post etc does that tile then gain 1 gold (i.e grow) more quickly than it would have done without the road.

The only two bonuses that roads provide is to connect cities (providing trade route income) and to speed unit movement. It does nothing to tile yields of improvements.

Railroads also provide a +50% production bonus when there is a railroad or sea connection to the capital city.

Can you confirm whether or not the following suggestion works?

From the world map, when you click on the city, does a popup box show, asking you whether you want to view the city, annex it, or raze it? Note: If it's a city state or capital city it can't be razed.

It only shows up the first time I conquer the city. If I make it a puppet at that time, it never shows up again.

After making it a puppet, clicking on the city in a later turn just shows me the locked city screen for that puppet.

Thanks!

Hi, I've just began to play civilization 5. First time I ever played civ actually. But I have some questions:

3. Can you play after you have no turns left? Like you are in the medieval era and all turns are gone the game ends. And if this is true, how can make it so that you can play after you ran out of turns or even after you have won?
4. If you have like 2 recources of the same kind on your land, (purple-edge ring) is beneficial to build 2 mines,...?
5.If you need a resource and is not inside your purple edge ring (and to far away to buy it), do you always have to build another city?
6. Should I only have 1 capital, conquered cities, and cities where there are useful resources? Or is it a good idea to build more?

Sorry for the many questions, but with this information I can really get started.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, unless you're conquered
4) Yes, you can trade your excess resources for other kinds you don't have
5) You can trade other AI for it, you can go to your city screen and buy hexes adjacent to the ones you already control, or you can build a new city
6) The more you build/control the more you will need to manage your happiness and economy, cultural advancement gets harder too -- so unless you're trying to win by domination, too big isn't good.

1. If you lose, and are eliminated from the game entirely, you cannot continue. Otherwise, you CAN continue (just...one...more...turn), but your score will not change.
2. If you win, by domination or any other means, you can continue as above.
3. Your question leads me to believe you are playing the demo version, which ends after 200 turns and you can't go beyond the medieval era. If this is the case, you cannot continue to play beyond this. If you have the full version, time still "runs out" in 2050 AD, by which point I hope you're beyond the medieval era! In this case, you can continue to play, as above.
4. Improving your excess resource tiles is always a good idea, as they will give the local city more resources. Excess luxuries can be sold traded to other civs, and you may need more than 1 source of strategic resources for your units, depending on how many you build.
5. Cities can "own" tiles up to 5 hexes away, which will give access to the resource. They can only work tiles 3 hexes away, for direct benefit to that city. It will take a long time to get that far though, so a new city might be the best choice if it's more than 1-2 hexes distant from your current city.
6. More cities = more population = more science, gold, production, unhappiness, higher culture advance costs. It also claims land that your opponents are then denied. More is not always better, mostly due to happiness balancing, but it often is. Cultural victory generally requires no more than a few non-puppet cities. Domination or science victory, more is better, but don't grow too fast and outstrip your happiness.

There are a lot of good mods out there. So far, most are focused on addressing perceived weaknesses in the game: fixing blatant bugs or balance issues for example. Thalassicus has a number of good balance mods in his name that I recommend. If you do a search from the in-game mod manager for his name, you should be able to find them and pick the ones that sound good to you. If you only have the demo version, you will not be able to play any mods.

Imagine I capture a city in which the stonehenge was built, and I turn this city into a puppet, do I receive the +8 culture from the stonehenge then? Or will I get the +8 culture when I annex the city? or will I never get culture from wonders in captured cities (like in civ 4)?

It only shows up the first time I conquer the city. If I make it a puppet at that time, it never shows up again.

After making it a puppet, clicking on the city in a later turn just shows me the locked city screen for that puppet.

Thanks!

Can you also confirm that the city is not a city state (or ex city state) or a capital city? These cities are by design not supposed be possible to raze. If it's neither of those, then this may need to go to bug reports.

Top Bottom